mayonnaise

Got any good recipes? Share them here.
halfgaar
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by halfgaar »

Ah, ok. But you better dont beat it at all.
Maybe I should say that I stir it. "stirred, not beaten" :)
Fujiyama, Grote Markt 21.
Queen's Garden-Zen, Gedempte Zuiderdiep 56.
Fuji-tei, Poelestraat 39/41.
Hey, I didn't know that :)

Do they have special menu's, or do you have to ask the waiters? Is it better than just salad?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

halfgaar wrote: "stirred, not beaten"
Ok mr Gaar, Half Gaar. 8)
Do they have special menu's, or do you have to ask the waiters? Is it better than just salad?
They are restaurants that (also) serve japanese dishes,
which includes raw fish (sashimi).
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

And do they know anything about raw food? I mean, have you been there? Can I ask for raw food and then will they know what I mean (no salad dressing with yoghurt, no rice, and stuff like that)? Or is it just that they have raw fish, but you have to cherry pick what you eat yourself?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I have not been there.
Its just that they have raw food, but you still have to cherry pick indeed...
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

But, if you just stir it, and don't use mustard, what then is the reason to exclude mayonaisse ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

If you dont use any 'bad' ingredients,
and stir it, then its not excluded, indeed.
niffer

Re: mayonnaise

Post by niffer »

Does anybody know how long homemade mayo should be stored for? I know ideally it should be eaten instantly, but it seems more convenient to make a huge batch.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, you should not make a big batch, as once exposed to air, it goes bad very rapidly.
Its not just that ideally it should be eaten instantly; its a necessity.
niffer

Post by niffer »

RRM wrote:No, you should not make a big batch, as once exposed to air, it goes bad very rapidly.
Its not just that ideally it should be eaten instantly; its a necessity.
Really? Even if refrigerated immediately in a closed container?

What if I'm not susceptable to acne and I'm not worried about the effects related to this?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

niffer wrote: Really? Even if refrigerated immediately in a closed container?
A closed container is not good enough, as inside the container there is air too.
You would have to use a vacuumized container.
What if I'm not susceptable to acne and I'm not worried about the effects related to this?
Its not about acne, but about the yolk going bad very rapidly.
niffer

Post by niffer »

I haven't been able to find much information about exactly how fast the yolk will go bad. I've read about people using yolks that they've stored in air-tight containers in the fridge for up to a week, but I'm assuming they'd be cooking them after. Would the oil and vinegar "marinate" the yolks in a way to make them last longer? Around exactly how long would mayo last in the fridge? Not even for a couple hours to one day?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

niffer wrote:Would the oil and vinegar "marinate" the yolks in a way to make them last longer?
No.
Though putting a whole yolk in a small container and filling that up with oil may prevent all oxidation.
exactly how long would mayo last in the fridge? Not even for a couple hours to one day?
That depends (vacuum?),
but i surely wouldnt store it longer than a day anyway.
But why dont you always make fresh mayo? Its not that hard / time consuming.
dandate2

homemade mayonnaise?

Post by dandate2 »

i've been making mayonnaise by vigorously stirring egg yolk while dripping olive oil into the mixture. is this ok? why is it bad to put yolk in a blender?
mario91

Re: homemade mayonnaise?

Post by mario91 »

Because the blades of the blender rotate so fast that they generate heat on the food. This heat will originate dirty protein, as it's explained in the free acne book.

Well, vigourously stirring won't be as bad as a blender, but it can still generate some dirty protein. Specially with egg yolks, which are high in protein.
You gotta experiment, see if it gives you acne or not. I'd like to try to do some mayoinnaise too, one of these days :) Is it tasty?
sunmaiden

Re: homemade mayonnaise?

Post by sunmaiden »

I've tried making mayonnaise w/out salt, pepper or mustard, and its ok, but not like traditional mayonnaise.

A sauce I like is 1- 2 yolks, 1-2 TBS OO, 1/4-1/2 avocado and a large squeeze of lime, whipped together lightly with a fork. You can add yolks at the very end and just mix enough to mash the avocado and make it smooth. Its nice with cucumbers/tomatoes, and if you add in chunky avocado it reminds me of potato salad:)