Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Got any good recipes? Share them here.
Post Reply
mario91
Posts: 268
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw
Joined: Fri 08 Apr 2011 22:56

Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by mario91 »

This is one of the best foods I've ever tasted. Tastes so much like cake! :D
I use 1 egg yolk for each banana. But you can use whatever ratio you like.
Make sure the bananas are good quality and not too ripe, for better taste.
I guess drying at 60ºC won't oxidize the cholesterol of the yolks, I have read somewhere that it only happens above 100ºC.
But will it occur with time? (Since you can keep dried food for several weeks/months.) I don't know. Anyone does?
Still a great food imo. Everyone who's got a dehydrator has definitely gotta try it. You must use vegetable paper / baker paper also, or it will stick like hell.

PS: Also a great way of consuming egg yolks on the go.
User avatar
RRM
Administrator
Posts: 8160
Joined: Sat 16 Jul 2005 00:01
Contact:

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by RRM »

I think its not a good idea.
Of all bad substances that originate in cooked foods,
cholesterol in egg yolks is by far the most susceptible to oxidation; conversion into oxysterols.
Yes, cholesterol spontaneously oxidizes at 100 degrees, but oxidation also happens in the dehydrator,
and even when you just expose it to the air (O2 is an oxidant) at room temp.
Without the protecting shell, egg yolks are very vulnerable.
So, egg yolks should only be consumed fresh right out of the shell.
mario91
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri 08 Apr 2011 22:56

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by mario91 »

Damn... I knew it. It was too tasty to be healthy :D
Anyway I think it won't be bad consumed in moderation, since modern research has found that (oxidized) dietary cholesterol doesn't raise your blood cholesterol levels that much (What does the most is eating in excess). Do you agree with this RRM?
User avatar
RRM
Administrator
Posts: 8160
Joined: Sat 16 Jul 2005 00:01
Contact:

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by RRM »

mario91 wrote:modern research has found that (oxidized) dietary cholesterol doesn't raise your blood cholesterol levels that much (What does the most is eating in excess)
Thats is not the point, because that only represents oxysterols relative to total good cholesterol, and high cholesterol by itself may not be bad.
The point is that you ingest compounds that have bad effects; Carcinogenic HCA and mind-influencing beta-carbolines are also ingest in very small amounts, and some of these oxysterols cytotoxic, impair LDL-receptor functioning, cause heart disease and atherosclerotic plaque.
mario91
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri 08 Apr 2011 22:56

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by mario91 »

RRM wrote:
mario91 wrote:modern research has found that (oxidized) dietary cholesterol doesn't raise your blood cholesterol levels that much (What does the most is eating in excess)
Thats is not the point, because that only represents oxysterols relative to total good cholesterol, and high cholesterol by itself may not be bad.
The point is that you ingest compounds that have bad effects; Carcinogenic HCA and mind-influencing beta-carbolines are also ingest in very small amounts, and some of these oxysterols cytotoxic, impair LDL-receptor functioning, cause heart disease and atherosclerotic plaque.
Oh, ok, had no idea. Thanks!
mario91
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri 08 Apr 2011 22:56

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by mario91 »

I've lately been eating slow cooked egg yolks. It takes about 3 hours for them to get cooked (inside shell), at 60º-70º I guess.
Will this also oxidize cholesterol? Assuming I'm eating them right at the moment I unshell the eggs.
dime
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon 14 Feb 2011 09:24

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by dime »

why don't you eat them raw?
mario91
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri 08 Apr 2011 22:56

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by mario91 »

dime wrote:why don't you eat them raw?
I still do. But I've found I also enjoy slow cooked sometimes, so I'm willing to know how healthy it is.
User avatar
RRM
Administrator
Posts: 8160
Joined: Sat 16 Jul 2005 00:01
Contact:

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by RRM »

Then just slow cook the egg whites (in a frying pan on the lowest heat/fire),
and add the yolks at the last moment when the heat is off,
only warming them up.
mario91
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri 08 Apr 2011 22:56

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by mario91 »

RRM wrote:Then just slow cook the egg whites (in a frying pan on the lowest heat/fire),
and add the yolks at the last moment when the heat is off,
only warming them up.
That would taste equally raw (the yolk).
So I'm assuming slow cooking also oxidizes the cholesterol...
Guess I'll just forget about all this then, and just eat my delicious raw egg yolks with raw mashed bananas.
User avatar
RRM
Administrator
Posts: 8160
Joined: Sat 16 Jul 2005 00:01
Contact:

Re: Dried mashed bananas with egg yolks

Post by RRM »

Yes, thats the best solution!! :)
Post Reply