Find less need for sleep - why?

no testimonies, no problems; just ups and downs
spring
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Find less need for sleep - why?

Post by spring »

When I was following wai's diet a few years ago, after a week or two, I found I needed very little sleep. I would go to bed at midnight, sometimes 1am and then wake up spontaneously at 6am. Normally I need 9-10 hours sleep and I am not a morning person by any means. Reading some testimonies on the net, I've found some other people who have followed a raw diet have noticed the same thing.

What's the reason for this: does it have something to do with digestion and the colon not being tied up all night digesting cooked food or something else? Maybe because one is ingesting fewer mind-altering chemicals one's sleep is more natural and refreshing?

If the latter explanation is the case, it might indicate how many artificial things we are consuming, like taking a cocktail of drugs all day perhaps? Maybe that's why many people suffer from insomnia or like me feel groggy in the morning, find it hard to wake up unless one has had 9-10 hours sleep ...

Any similar experiences and any ideas what's doing this?
Christina

Post by Christina »

I've experienced that, the less I eat in a day, the less I need to sleep. If I stop eating early in the day, say betw. 2pm and 5pm, I will wake up early and with lots of energy the next morning. Same goes for fasting. You need much less sleep on a juice fast etc..
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Well, its a known fact that people on a normal diet have a plague in their colon; a plague of undigested remainders. So, yes, that would indicate that the body has to work quite hard to get digestion done completely.
also, if you think of all those hard to digest compounds that originate due to cooking, it must be much harder for your body on a normal diet.

How much this will affect your sleep will be individually very different so that it may be that not many people actually notice a difference regarding sleep.
However, your intestines will definitely notice the difference, and the result will be that your intestines will remain healthy much longer.
I never fancied the idea of having to wear a diaper at old age, so thats good news. :lol:
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

Well, its a known fact that people on a normal diet have a plague in their colon;
Do you know how long this "plague" lasts after going on the Wai diet?

I haven't noticed any difference in sleep requirements BTW. I still prefer about 9-10 hours :). Perhaps I don't need it, but it's definitely pleasant...
jfk

Post by jfk »

halfgaar wrote:
Well, its a known fact that people on a normal diet have a plague in their colon;
Do you know how long this "plague" lasts after going on the Wai diet?
Wait a second, do we mean 'plaque' as in a thick unpleasant coating, not 'plague' as in bubonic and pneumonic?
halfgaar wrote:[quote
I haven't noticed any difference in sleep requirements BTW. I still prefer about 9-10 hours :). Perhaps I don't need it, but it's definitely pleasant...
Me too, I have been on the Wai diet for what seems like a long time and I still like to sleep 9 hours. Do you think it depends on your overall level of health to begin with? I mean if you go on the wai diet post developing poor health, then the diet is essentially healing you. So in those who have a lot of recovering to do, years worth even, it may take longer to reach small sleep requirements, since sleep is the time the body recuperates.. Also probably exercise, stress, daily energy requirements, age and sunlight could have something to do with it??
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

Wait a second, do we mean 'plaque' as in a thick unpleasant coating, not 'plague' as in bubonic and pneumonic?
I surmised that he meant "plague" as a metaphor for a lot of junk and harmful bacteria. Literally, the plague is a viral disease, but that would not be applicable here :)
Me too, I have been on the Wai diet for what seems like a long time and I still like to sleep 9 hours. Do you think it depends on your overall level of health to begin with? I mean if you go on the wai diet post developing poor health, then the diet is essentially healing you. So in those who have a lot of recovering to do, years worth even, it may take longer to reach small sleep requirements, since sleep is the time the body recuperates.. Also probably exercise, stress, daily energy requirements, age and sunlight could have something to do with it??
Well, I didn't have a poor health before starting with Wai, just acne. It is possible that my health wasn't what it could be, and still isn't, and that my sleep requirement will diminish over time. Time will tell :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

jfk wrote:'plague' as in bubonic and pneumonic?
he, he, ok, plaque it is... :shock:
halfgaar wrote:Do you know how long this "plague" lasts after going on the Wai diet?
No, thats impossible to tell. eventually, your intestines get cleaned up, but how fast?, no idea. It takes as long as it takes.

BTW, my sleep requirements have not changed.
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

Over the last few days, I have noticed that I have started waking up a bit earlier. Nothing too fancy, but seeing as how I go to sleep quite late sometimes, maybe it's due to Wai. Something to keep an eye on.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It could be that the body needs to repair (detoxify?) less, so the need for sleep decreases?
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

Yes, there is definatly something magic about this diet and sleep :D

Got my cousin on wai for about 2 months and she slept 8 hrs for the first time in her life, before it was always 12-13 hrs. She also had Sleep Paralysis and frequent sleepwalking, wich totally went away during the wai-eating-period, pretty amazing, since she had been fighting those things for years.

I on the other hand started sleeping more after I started the diet, wich was great since I was only always able to sleep 5-6 hrs before, making me deat tired in the afternoon. Now its always 8 hrs for me, no waking up, I love it.
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

I've been able to observe my sleeping habits for a while now, and I can't discern any difference. It's easily 10 hours every day. But, I like sleeping, so I don't really experience it as a problem :)
Jodiat

Post by Jodiat »

Oscar wrote:It could be that the body needs to repair (detoxify?) less, so the need for sleep decreases?
Think your right.

I have gone without food for 10,7,6,4,4 days and each time I have done a heavy detox the same results. I sleep alot more the first few nights as if my body is cleaning my blood and at this time my acne increases! Then after a few nights I needed much much less sleep...down to 4 hours some nights. I had insomnia to some people! While in thailand I still found the energy to run up and down massive hills and the last meal I had was 5-6 days before in the UK. I had such energy and mental energy It was amazing - like euphoria.
The ammount of 'plaque' that came out of me was alot!

However detoxing is risky and only a short term plan. Wais diet is a perfect blend of detoxing and rebuilding. I belive the quality of the blood is the most important tool to guage 'health'.
One reason is if you eat anything your body sees as a 'toxin' (even healthy cooked food) its dumped straight into the blood stream and seen as an invader - the body goes into high alert and this can even punish healthy food taken in the next meal. Raw/cooked egg whites are an example for me that cause such a problem.