Sea bass... raw?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Sea bass... raw?

Post by avo »

I got a good deal on some Chilean sea bass, fresh as can be. Normally it is over $19 per pound, good stuff, so I am told.

My question is: can I eat this stuff raw? I'll try some, and I'll see for myself, but I just wanted some opinions.

Thanks!
RRM
Administrator

Re: Sea bass... raw?

Post by RRM »

Im running out of time, so I advice you to see whether you can find any info about parasites in sea bass.
But yes, sea bass is eaten as sashimi (Suzuki), and tastes good!
Sea bass contains little fat (only 2%), so you cannot keep it in the fridge for long (as opposed to salmon and tuna).
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Sea bass is my favourite. Oh my god its tasty.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I like it too. :)
avo

Post by avo »

You're kidding, right?

The stuff I had was dry, hard, tasteless and full of tiny bones. Yuk! One bite and I threw it out.

What variety of bass do you think is good? Not Chilean, I assume.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, we are not kidding.
From most fresh raw fish you can cut very tasty pieces, or a very bad piece as well. Or the fish you had was very small, and/or old. There might be plenty of reasons why it tasted bad.
But yes, there are different varities, which also makes a difference of course. I dont know what variety I had though.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Just on the note of peoples tastes-

I simply detest raw clam. Like Sushi clam, that red and flesh colored horror that makes me want to puke! Sorry, no easy way of saying it. It tastes like the bottom of the mucky ocean! But someone must like it somewhere, God knows why. Oh I think I feel sick :oops:

I love Ikura most(save it for last), then Yellow tail, then Mackerel, then Salmon and Tuna . Oh and quail egg is fun!

I'd like to try Seabass to see who I agree with.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

I've never had clam! Sounds very interesting.

Fresh, raw Scallops are amazing. So much flavour!
avalon

Post by avalon »

Really! I've been very tempted to try raw scallops! But honestly have needed a push. Just like the first time I tried Sushi. Can you compare it to any other raw fish? Where do you get your scallops? I see them at the market and they look clean and juicy.

Can you give a scallop review?

Thanx, Avalon
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Make sure they are extremely fresh.

The taste is very strong, very rich. Up there with the best in my opinion. Tastes like nothing else. You can't eat many at once because they are soooo rich!

Very Tasty!

8)
avalon

Post by avalon »

dionysis wrote:
You can't eat many at once because they are soooo rich!
by rich, do you mean, fishy? Like clam? :oops:
avalon

Post by avalon »

Sorry about the spelling, dionysus. Cat on lap distraction. :roll:
avo

Post by avo »

Ok, I have recently eaten some more of the sea bass. Not bad, but not my favorite. The clams were good, but high minerals + salt = bad breakout
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

avalon wrote:dionysis wrote:
You can't eat many at once because they are soooo rich!
by rich, do you mean, fishy? Like clam? :oops:
No not fishy. To my knowledge no Sashimi is 'fishy' if it is fresh. (Though i havent tried Clam :wink: ). But remember Fresh is vital for the Taste.

Avo: Try a little lemon maybe, as its a white fish and it compliments it. As you probably have already gather Salmon, Tuna and Seabass all taste very different and therefore what compliments the fish is different. For example i like cucumber with my Tuna.

God i love Sashimi.

8)
Negativity is the cult of the weak
avalon

Post by avalon »

dionysus wrote:
God i love Sashimi.
Me too!

I love avocado with Salmon. last night did some research on raw scallops and can't wait to try them. At the very least I'll know how I feel about them. It's great to try new things. I remember the first time I tried Sea Urchin. It's a little intimidating, the orange glob sitting there. And you have no idea in the world, what to expect. What will hit your tongue... And it's good! I know taste is subjective.

If you try clam, let us know what you think. :roll: