Raw oysters?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Raw oysters?

Post by avo »

I was planning on having 1 or 2 raw oysters once maybe every other week (or more often?)

I'm not allergic, and I love the taste. Are they usually frozen? No, I don't think so... could be wrong though...

I know they are high in minerals, but this could be a good thing as I usually only have some fish or yolks other than the standard ~2L of OJ daily. I know that there are minerals/vitamins that I'm missing, so I'd like to cover my bases, at least occasionally. Zinc and selenium, mostly.

So when I do have the shellfish, will it be okay if I have it with 100g or so of fish? Or should it be on a seperate day?

That reminds me... I noticed a good correlation between eating 90-100grams of raw fish and acne... Is it possible that 100g is too much for me? I have this 2-3 times a week (2 days on, 3 days off). I am small framed, somewhat thin, some muscle tone. How much fish is recommended for average females? I should probably find a middle-ground somewhere between that and 100g.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Raw oysters?

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:I was planning on having 1 or 2 raw oysters once maybe every other week (or more often?)
I'm not allergic, and I love the taste. Are they usually frozen?

Here they usually are not frozen. Be aware that they may also be extremely salty, which can also cause acne, of course. So, you simply need to experiment how many you can eat without breaking out.
Regarding upping your zinc it helps quite dramatically...
So when I do have the shellfish, will it be okay if I have it with 100g or so of fish? Or should it be on a seperate day?
If you are having problems with 'high' proteins intakes (like me), I would take the oyster separately... (since you are a small framed female)
I noticed a good correlation between eating 90-100grams of raw fish and acne... Is it possible that 100g is too much for me? I have this 2-3 times a week (2 days on, 3 days off). I am small framed, somewhat thin, some muscle tone. How much fish is recommended for average females? I should probably find a middle-ground somewhere between that and 100g.
100 grams a day may be too much for you in one day, why not spread your fish intake out over every day? If you are susuceptible to protein-induced acne, you better use every day as an opportunity to ingest the amount of protein your skin can cope with.
Its impossible for me to tell you how much your skin can cope with. You best find out by maintaining a very strict level for many days (daily). I for example, found out I cannot go above the 133 grams of fish daily. (im a tall man)
You best start with consuming 50 grams every day. If that goes well for a couple of weeks, you up that to 55 grams / day, and, again after a few weeks, you may up that even more. And so on.
Once you know your level, you can start experimenting spreading it less.
avo

Post by avo »

Yep, 100g is too much. I'll start at 60g and go from there.

Fish every day, you say? I like the sound of that, and I don't care for yolks much.

Update on the oyster thing: I had littleneck clams, like 4 or 5, with 90g tuna. Bad acne 2 days later, and still suffering the effects now. I think the salt aggravated the high protein symptoms.

So, no more for me. For now anyways...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yep, I broke out heavily when I tried the oysters..
The extremely high zinc level may also have an effect, as that 'tightens' the skin.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I have never tried raw oyster before. I am going to give it a shot. Are there any aspects of the oyster I need to take note when choosing? Do I need to purchase unshelled oysters, just like brazil nuts? There is a new technology called spawnless oysters, where they are kinda like seedless grapes and watermelons. I guess that doesn't matter, eh?

So, for someone who have never tried it before, how many should I eat the first day? I eat about 6 eggs/100g salmon. How many oysters equal that?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Are you susceptible to acne?
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I don't think so.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ok, then you can try.
To me they taste great, but very heavy on the salt. (sea salt, naturally).
Of course they need to be very fresh, and you shouldnt eat the ones that are in closed shells.
The good thing about buying in shell oysters is that you can check for yourself whether the shell is naturally open, or not.
There is a new technology called spawnless oysters, where they are kinda like seedless grapes and watermelons. I guess that doesn't matter, eh?
No, i dont think so.
Kookaburra wrote: So, for someone who have never tried it before, how many should I eat the first day? I eat about 6 eggs/100g salmon. How many oysters equal that?
Well, they are quite extreme regarding nutrient (zinc, copper) make up,
so i would start with 3,
to avoid adverse reactions to that.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

RRM wrote:Ok, then you can try.
To me they taste great, but very heavy on the salt. (sea salt, naturally).
Of course they need to be very fresh, and you shouldnt eat the ones that are in closed shells.
The good thing about buying in shell oysters is that you can check for yourself whether the shell is naturally open, or not.
Any reason why I should not eat the ones in closed shells? What is an in shell oyster? Is it an oyster with a half shell? Lastly, how do I check whether the shell is naturally open?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Erm, I'm not sure but I thought the closed shell issue was more for mussels (after being cooked)? On the contrary, I think oysters should be alive and as such their shell should be closed, or the oyster should close its shell when tapped.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I know that I can keep salmon in the fridge for about 4 to 5 days. What about oysters?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

From: http://www.theoysterfarm.com.au/03_oysters/oysters.htm
If your oysters are unopened DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE FRIDGE it will kill them. Think about the temperature of the river or ocean water, its cooler than the air but warmer than a glass of water from the fridge. Keep them in our especially designed esky or in a cool dark place in a damp hessian sack. The ideal temperature is 12 degrees but 18 - 19 degrees will be OK. For the best quality oysters they should be opened and then eaten straight away or at least within the hour. If you are going to open them in advance place them upside down in a little water and rinse them to get rid any specks of shell and fill the container with a light brine. Put them in the fridge like this and they will last for 7-8 days.

Oysters can take on the flavour of other things in your fridge no matter how well packaged, rockmelon is a good example. The oysters will absorb the flavour and make them unpalatable.

After consuming your oysters put the shells into an airtight bag into the freezer for garbage day to prevent any smells.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Do oysters need to be rinsed with water prior to eating? I ate 3 oysters for the first time yesterday. I am surprised that oysters contain so much zinc since the meat of an oyster is very small.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I went to Waisays to check the amount of zinc in 100g of oysters as shown below.

zinc, minimum 6.5 mg
zinc, maximum 160 mg

You mean the amount of zinc in an oyster is not fixed? If that's the case, how do I know how much zinc I have ingested? I ate 3 oysters yesterday. Also, I saw that 100g of oysters contain 3mg copper. How much copper is considered too much? I can't find oysters in the nutrient calculator.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

We all know that the body will adjust the absorption rate accordingly. So, why is it okay to drink lots of orange juice every day, with the total amount of vitamin C being about 39 times more than the recommended RDA level but not oysters?

Like vitamin C, zinc is water soluble. And, unlike calcium, zinc cannot be stored. So, even if you consume lots of zinc, there will not be an accumulation unlike calcium. The extra zinc taken up will be excreted via urine and sweat, as it is water soluble. Hence, shouldn't the extreme amounts of zinc in oysters not be a problem at all?