very sick from raw eggs

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by avo »

lol, what is the purpose of putting the lemon next to the fish, instead of on it? I think I will start trying a drop or so of lemon mixed with the olive oil that I pour onto or dip the fish into. Is this perfectly fine regards to acne or digestion of the fish?

BTW, I just purchased some raw yellowtail this morning. It was a whole fish, and I had it cleaned and filleted.

But I just realized that this is yellowtail 'snapper...' not 'Amberjack' or whatever it is that is usually used for sushi. The flesh is pinkish, not yellow, so is this stuff okay to eat?

Let me know, or I'll just have to find out myself tonight.
:shock:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:this is yellowtail 'snapper...' not 'Amberjack' or whatever it is that is usually used for sushi. The flesh is pinkish, not yellow, so is this stuff okay to eat?
I guess it is. Look at the favourite food of this guy:
FAVORITE FOOD: Raw Tuna, Raw Yellowtail Snapper, Portabella Mushrooms, Lemon Pez
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

avo wrote:lol, what is the purpose of putting the lemon next to the fish, instead of on it? :
The lemon is really strong, so if you want to taste some of the seabass then don't squeeze the lemon.

Put the fish on the lemon, under the lemon, by the side of the lemon.

8)
Negativity is the cult of the weak
avo

Post by avo »

Hmm, I found some other good sites about it, searched for "yellowtail snapper sashimi" and got this:

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/southfl ... -103060605
and
http://www.naples.com/naplesnow/dining/ ... ptnemo.asp

I guess it's a Florida thing. I'll let you know my verdict later.

Damn, forgot to buy a lemon. 8)
avo

Post by avo »

Wowee, that yellowtail snapper was some tasty fish! I had 60g, as I'm gradually increasing the amount until I get to the clear skin/acne threshold. I wanted to eat more, but I must stick to my plans.

Let's start with the texture: It is very tender, with the appearance and consistency of a sectioned orange segment, but with a softness compared to butter. Only when you cut closer to the spinal bone does there occur occasional chewy fatty tissue, but nothing unmanageable.

Taste was surprisingly similar to yellowfin tuna (my staple fish), only much milder. Actually, nearly identical in terms of flavor. This taste was very subtle, even overwhelmed when drizzled with some average EVOO. No fishy or unwelcome taste at all; perfect for eating raw, sashimi style. I think this would be a perfect 'slice of lemon next to it' candidate. ;)

Price was $6.69 per pound, as a whole, ungutted fish. $6.99 per pound if you want it cleaned and filleted. Avg weight whole is 1-1.5 lbs. So for 8-9 dollars, you can get a whole fish. After being cleaned, you will be left with 0.7-0.8 lbs of flesh, filleted. I estimate about 0.4-0.5 lbs are actually usable in raw form, as it gets difficult near the skin and bone area. Probably closer to 0.6-0.7 lbs when prepared conventionally (cooked).

Overall not a bad deal for an excellent fish. And it's local to Florida, too.

I suggest if anyone comes down to Florida for a bit, try to get your hands (and mouth) around some fresh caught snapper. Oh, and let me know, we can hit-up some nice sushi places too.

Next up on the menu of things to try: Red Snapper, Spainish mackerel, yellowfin amberjack, and then Fugu. :shock:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sounds good 8)
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Hello 8) Just wanted to let you all know that I'm back doing the 5 yolks a day without problems. I took it gradual like you recommended ,RRM...Thank you!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ah, im happy! :D
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

RRM,

I used to get the runs when I ate a bad egg. Hardly noticed. Never had a problem with fish. Then late last year, I tried two egg yolks one day after not eating them for a while. They made me feel like throwing up (never did), I got shaky, blurry vision, tired, then really hungry and thirsty a little bit later. No diarrhea, but some foul-smelling gas. I stopped eating eggs for a while, then started up again slowly, one teaspoon at a time. Now, I get the same symptoms when I eat a bad egg. I try to check them very carefully, but sometimes I don't have time to leave the eggs out of the fridge for an hour. :( Have the eggs changed perhaps, or is it my immune system???
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its a normal response of your body. Once it has experienced bad eggs, it gets better in recognizing that what was contained in those bad eggs, and it will reject that. Not because the eggs are worse, or because your immune system has changed, but because your body is better in recognizing bad stuff in eggs, and responds in a more exaggerated/accurate way.
twinee1

Post by twinee1 »

would that be true also if you got sick from fish ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

If you had bad fish?
Yes.
If that is always your body's response to (fresh) fish?
No.
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Its a normal response of your body. Once it has experienced bad eggs, it gets better in recognizing that what was contained in those bad eggs, and it will reject that. Not because the eggs are worse, or because your immune system has changed, but because your body is better in recognizing bad stuff in eggs, and responds in a more exaggerated/accurate way.
But I thought you said the worst we could experience was the runs. This is definitely worse, and it's getting worse, and it makes me scared. Last night I ate a 'bad' egg yolk(I'm down to only one per day), and it even passed all the tests I normally do, including being left out of the fridge for at least an hour. I was awake all night shaking with my heart pounding, and I still feel ill, and now this morning my son is acting sick for the first time in his life. I can't risk this anymore; I don't have health insurance. I'm going to just eat fish for a while (until I get my insect farm running :).
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

How's the quality of the eggs in terms of additives, pasteurization, etc? I can imagine that if the eggs are pasteurized, you will definitely get sick, and that's a good thing.
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

I don't know. I won't be experimenting anymore with eggs until I'm no longer breastfeeding.