Egg Colours and Sizes

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Seth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Egg Colours and Sizes

Post by Seth »

Despite how ignorant this question may be: I wonder what exactly are the differences (other than the obvious ones) between the different eggs (e.g. white vs. brown or regular sized vs. jumbo). Is one particular type better than another?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

From what I know color is based on what type of chicken laid the egg and doesn't mean that much. I buy eggs that are from a company that says they have 225mg of omega 3 oils per egg. They are supposedly cage free. They claim they are vegan fed, but if they are really free range I'd hope they eat worms and stuff. I hope it is not just a marketing ploy.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I read that the color of the yolk depends on their food: more corn means more yellow/orange. Other than that I don't know.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Doe anybody know if color has anything to do with nutritional value?
bbdave

Post by bbdave »

I googled egg yolk color and found this site:
http://www.chow.com/stories/11706
Interesting note: "Nestle explains that the color of a yolk is due specifically to carotenoids, which are natural pigments found in some plants. Some carotenoids, like beta-carotene, have nutritional value (our bodies convert beta-carotene into vitamin A, for instance). But deeper-colored egg yolks only indicate the presence of carotenoids in general, says Nestle, not necessarily the presence of beta-carotene..."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thats correct, there are other carotenes that cause the same orange colour.
(as astaxanthin in salmon).