List of fish: the good, the bad and everything in between

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
fred
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Saba sashimi ?

Post by fred »

Is Saba sashimi (marinated mackerel) OK on Wai for someone who can tolerate some salt ?
The fish filets are first put in salt during one hour, then rinsed in water, and marinated in rice vinegar.

This gives the "saba sashimi" we find in Japanese restaurant.

Also the bacteria are probably killed during the preparation.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Saba sashimi ?

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:Is Saba sashimi (marinated mackerel) OK on Wai for someone who can tolerate some salt ?
The fish filets are first put in salt during one hour, then rinsed in water, and marinated in rice vinegar.
Well, that depends on how much salt your skin can tolerate.
Also the bacteria are probably killed during the preparation.
Its not about bacteria, but about parasites.
To be sure its better to deep freeze the mackerel first.
abicahsoul

Re: List of fish: the good, the bad and everything in betwee

Post by abicahsoul »

I dunno if this fish has already been mentioned yet. It is a good alternative I believe for us living in northern Europe, or perhaps also the northeast coast of the US. It is a fish that's called Tusk in English, in German Lumb, in French Brosme and in Latin Brosme Brosme (and in Swedish Lubb). It is related to cod.
It is described as delicious, but underrated. I think it is not at all at risk of extinction. It is not popular. It's cheap.
However, some fishes from some places can have parasites in the form of visible worms. But the guy at the fish shop said that the ones caught on the Swedish Atlantic coast never have worms, but the ones fished off Iceland often are infested. I am a bit unsure if the Tusk caught off Norway's coast was infested or safe.. I would say if it is caught in southern Norway close to the Swedish Atlantic coast it should be safe... because then it is almost the same aquatic flora as the Swedish coast, since they real close.
However it is really lean fish, so there is no Omega-3 to speak of. So it is a fish that cant' be relied on for that purpose, which is of course a draw back.
I am anxiously waiting for the fishing season on our Mackerel. I have no idea how it is different from Kings, and the other kinds you mention here. But i think I have to wait another month or so... :D And I found out that wild salmon can only be had in my country around Midsummer. :(
I tried two Northern Atlantic fresh dry yellowish offwhite scallops! :D They were nice. I thougth they couldnt' be had fresh here, but they can if you know where to go and ask. I bought them over the counter, just sampled two to see if I liked it. But I liked the tusk better.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You can deep-freeze the tusk to be on the safe side regarding parasites.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

Hm, but isn't deepfreezing a no-no? doesn't that make the protein dirty? because if fish that has been frozen is ok on the wai diet, then I can have a whole other spectrum to choose from!!

Hm, it is alternatively called Cusk (brosme brosme in latin) and when I search it seems like it is at least threatened speices in northern US. :( I haven't found facts about situation here on the Swedish coast.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

abicahsoul wrote:Hm, but isn't deepfreezing a no-no? doesn't that make the protein dirty?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2195&start=15
because if fish that has been frozen is ok on the wai diet, then I can have a whole other spectrum to choose from!!
Yes, isnt that great :)
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

yeah :):)!!

but next question is to start to make choices that are also good choices from a sustainable (green, ecological) perspective... I am really alarmed by what we hear that a lot of our best fish species are at the verge of extinction and if nothing is done NOW they will be able to survive. :'(
I remember my childhood with all the sole, halibut and other flat fishes on the west coast.. the fishermen had a whole load.. but now there are hardly any left.. it is not some eco-fanatics propaganda.. it is reality.. even the people in the trade notice that it is true..

So sustainable options...
I have not been able to find info on Cusk/Tusk (brosme brosme) here in Europe if it is ok or not.. In US it seems to be endangered... :(
Also I have not so good knowledge of which fishes to substitute for our dear and more well known but endangered species.. except eco salmon.. which is hard to find here..
dandate2

Eel, crab sticks, tamago?

Post by dandate2 »

i found an upscale sushi place that serves a bunch of different sashimis on one plate. i get to select from a mix of eel, shrimp, sea urchin, salmon, tuna, raw crab sticks, squid, and tamago (sweetened egg). is it ok to eat different seafoods at once? is tamago ok?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Eel, crab sticks, tamago?

Post by RRM »

I moved your post to this thread, as it already answered most of your questions.
Sure, you can eat many different raw fish/seafood in one meal.
Be careful: usually, not everything that is listed as sashimi, is raw.
Also in my favourite restaurant, for example, the octopus listed under sashimi, is not raw. (parboiled)
Eel is very rarely raw; usually broiled or smoked (its tough flesh).
Tamago is cooked egg.
Raw crab sticks?
dandate2

ciguatera toxin?

Post by dandate2 »

is this anything to be concerned about? i opted out of some barracuda i had been marinated today after reading about it.
RRM
Administrator

Re: ciguatera toxin?

Post by RRM »

Yes, this is something to be concerned about.
Not just when consuming raw fish, but cooked fish as well, as this toxin is heat-resistant.
According to Wiki, these (sub)tropical fish are most ciguatera-prone:
barracudas, snapper, moray eels, parrotfishes, groupers, triggerfishes and amberjacks.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The past few days Maia and I have had striped red mullet (Mullus surmuletus), in dutch "mul" or "(gestreepte) zeebarbeel". The fish is relatively small, 20-40cm (7.9-15.8in), with an average length of 25cm (9.8in). Apparently both the striped red mullet and its red mullet brother Mullus Barbatus are delicacies in the Mediterranean, and the national fish in certain parts of Russia near the Black Sea. The taste is lightly salty and is a cross between ama-ebi and red snapper. Delicious! Because of the saltiness acne-prone people might have to be a bit careful, though.

We've also tried (farmed) salmon trout (in dutch "zalmforel"), which looked like farmed salmon (except the piece was longer and thinner), tasted like farmed salmon, but was more filling than farmed salmon.
DiF

Post by DiF »

Recently I have read that "vegetarian" and small fish are the best to be eaten because they are "clearer" than other fish. by clearer I mean they contain less heavy metals (mercury) and some other toxic staff... I 've told about it with an "alternative doctor" and he confirmed it.

Any ideas?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

They will also contain the least omega 3s, for the same reason.
CatTreats

Post by CatTreats »

I really love this list. It's helped me decide on some fish to try next. I wish I knew how to find Albacore and Bluefin tuna! Same with Escolar. I was surprised at what's missing and wanted to contribute.

Sardines: very oily/fatty fish. Extremely flavorful, and especially good on a tight budget as they're very cheap. They are hard to find fresh/raw though. Also very bony, so better for people more experienced handling a whole fish.
~ I consume everything barring the spine and intestines, but I eat organ meat regularly so it's normal for me. The bones are very fine in this fish, so if I get a bite with a few bones, I just eat them. It's impossible to pick all the bones out as, again, this is a VERY BONY fish.

Oysters: delicious! Only eat very fresh and live oysters. I had semi-fresh live oysters and they didn't compare to very fresh. Kuushi is my favorite. They are a pain to shuck but worth every effort.

I would say these are minimal risk of "parasites" but I'm also one to not even think about these risks with my food.