non-fresh regular eggs!

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Seth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

non-fresh regular eggs!

Post by Seth »

I had been buying Omega 3 eggs for a while and decided to try some regular cage free eggs for a change. The regular eggs are half the price but had an expiration date far longer (May 6th) than the Omega 3 ones. I was disheartened to find not a single egg was fresh! Has anyone had such an experience? Usually one or two fail, but all 12? I should add that I don't refrigerate them ever and it runs about 70 degrees in the room usually. However, from what I understand that should not affect their freshness.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

What do you mean by not fresh?
Seth

Post by Seth »

Oscar wrote:What do you mean by not fresh?
Not fresh as in not suitable to eat.
RRM
Administrator

Re: non-fresh regular eggs!

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:Has anyone had such an experience?
Not me. Indeed, usually one or two fail.
I don't refrigerate them ever and it runs about 70 degrees in the room usually. However, from what I understand that should not affect their freshness.
indeed.
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

It depends where I shop. At smaller/specialty stores, they're usually not very fresh, especially organic (unfortunately), but the cheapest eggs at the most popular stores are the most reliable regarding freshness (high turnover). It also depends on size, as the smaller eggs seem to last longer. However, I get the highest quality and freshness at the farmer's market (for the highest price). So on average for me, the in-between eggs (quality and price-wise) are the least fresh, since most people go for the extreme.
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
avo

Post by avo »

What do you all do to test for freshness? I eat all eggs, as long as they have no cracks in the shell or smell bad. Other than that, I can eat gas station eggs that are nearly expired without dire consequences.
Seth

Post by Seth »

avo wrote:What do you all do to test for freshness? I eat all eggs, as long as they have no cracks in the shell or smell bad. Other than that, I can eat gas station eggs that are nearly expired without dire consequences.
I do everything except submerge them in salted water as Wai prescribed. Not knowing exactly how much salt to put in was a problem so I did away with that and have not had any problems. If I shake the egg and it dashes, I don't eat it.

I have wondered how many do submerge the egg.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I just check out the firmness of the yolks. The maximum that can happen to me (if i eat a non-firm egg) is that i have to go to the bathroom for bowel emptying.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I stopped checking for freshness quite a while ago, and only don't eat a yolk when it looks bad. They usually look curdled then. I always eat organic eggs, which aren't always very fresh, like dadasarah said, but fresh enough for consumption.

Maybe it's more important for people whose immune system isn't used to cope with lots of bacteria yet, like for someone who just started the diet.
avalon

Post by avalon »

avo wrote:
What do you all do to test for freshness? I eat all eggs, as long as they have no cracks in the shell or smell bad. Other than that, I can eat gas station eggs that are nearly expired without dire consequences.
Same here avo! I've been lucky. Over a year and not one bad egg. I've lost a few by bad separation though :cry: At first I was pure Cage Free Range eggs, but sometimes for cost reasons I'll get the supermarket brand.
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Wow, lucky. I leave the eggs out for at least an hour, shake them (I don't roll or submerge them in water anymore as no eggs that have passed the shake test have failed the other two that I've seen), then crack them and inspect the white and sac firmness. I try to be careful since I'm more sensitive and have a tendency to go on and off the diet. :?
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I also don't really pay attention anymore. I observe the firmness of the white and the yolk but unless the yolk looks curdled like Oscar said I eat it. Sometimes though it is true that I have had diarrhea.
But I think at the beginning until your body is used to the diet it is a good idea to be more strict on the checking. I also buy organic eggs once a week and leave them out.