first timer sashimi

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
esprit
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

first timer sashimi

Post by esprit »

Yesterday I had sashimi for the first time in my life.
Or better: I ate fish for the first time in my life (except for kroepoek and asian food which often contains fish sauce/paste).
I don't like the smell of (non fresh) fish.
Anyway, the sushi bar told me the the fish was fresh (not previously frozen) and I ate some tuna(don't know the type, though),mackerel, scallop and salmon.
I have to say , it was not that bad, but they all had the after-taste of mouldy/corked wine and the salmon had that fishy taste I don't like.
One of my friends, who is a biologist, thinks it is because my taste buds are not used to fish (yet).
What do you all think?
RRM
Administrator

Re: first timer sashimi

Post by RRM »

Make sure you go to a Japanese restaurant; there are many sushi bars that are not so good, as sushi is/was kind of a hype.
The fishy taste is the taste you get when the fish is not that fresh anymore. And, yes, it may take some time to get used to the fish. If the fish is really fresh, you you will certainly learn to love it.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

White fish has the most sublte taste and goes extremely well with a little lemon juice. My favourite at the moment is Tilapia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia

Quite a distinct tough texture though which is why i like it.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
esprit

Post by esprit »

the sushi place was in a japanese restaurant. so i think it was ok. i will try to get tilapia somewhere. thanks for the tips!
today was a brave day , i bought 100 gram sashimi tuna in a fish shop. have to admit , consumed it with shoyu and some sesame oil and sesame seeds.no fishy smell or taste. but felt a bit queasy to/in the stomach 2 hours later.
Frost

Post by Frost »

i am really picky about where I get my fish. Though now I buy a pound at a time (lasts 4 days) from a japanese restaurant i love.