Is raw chicken ok?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Iris
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Iris »

Yes, tuna does have a distinguishing smell to me :) Salmon smells very distinguishable. So does raw beef en chicken. I think I became better in this the longer I'd been on Wai :wink:

Your dogs eat frogs, really? Interesting, I never heard of that before! Especially my youngest dog is very picky when it comes to eating prey. She doesn't like the smell of wild birds, like Partridge and Pheasant. Same goes for rabbit kidneys. She absolutely loves egg yolks and salmon though :D

Sure I have seen dogs sniffing the ground they walk on. I've got 2 dogs myself, so I see that every day :wink: I think they do smell a lot of different animals, but even more urine and faeces from other animals/dogs :| And I'm sure a lot more I can't even begin to imagine :wink:
They do the same thing when they stick their (wet) nose up in the air, and inhale the air. They can even smell where the scent of an animal (or whatever they smell) comes from! How cool is that! :P
gianni

Post by gianni »

I imagine that your sense of smell would improve after being raw for awhile. I am only starting back up at this diet since a little over a week ago. The other times I tried I failed because of so many problems I was having.

I saw a picture of one of you dogs somewhere on this site. I can't remember if it is a he or she, but it is beautiful.

It is incredible how they can smell a scent just floating through the air. Their sense of hearing is also amazing.
B-Rad

Post by B-Rad »

RRM wrote: What usually happens:
People buy eggs (or chicken), make some dish with it, and store it in the fridge and eat it later.
Thats how salmonella multiplies.
Or buy from a factory-farmed brand with questionable practices that experiences an outbreak where that shit spreads like wildfire
RRM wrote:
B-Rad wrote: If you season it alot, it wont taste like you're eating worms anymore
Did you try it?
Of course
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sense of smell gets much better after a while, which is not always a blessing...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

B-Rad wrote:
RRM wrote: What usually happens:
People buy eggs (or chicken), make some dish with it, and store it in the fridge and eat it later.
Thats how salmonella multiplies.
Or buy from a factory-farmed brand with questionable practices that experiences an outbreak where that shit spreads like wildfire
If you buy in a supermarket with a good reputation,
this cannot possibly happen,
as they will practice very stringent controls.
Why?
Because they want to keep their good reputation.
RRM wrote:
B-Rad wrote: If you season it alot, it wont taste like you're eating worms anymore
Did you try it?
Of course
So, you tried both the worms and the raw chicken?
And you actually think they taste the same?
B-Rad

Post by B-Rad »

RRM wrote: If you buy in a supermarket with a good reputation,
Why?
It's all about cost-benefit analysis. If the cost of preventing outbreaks to a certain degree supercedes the benefit of maintaining a certain degree of rep and preventing legal hassle, it most likely WILL happen. As you see.

Capitalism 101
RRM wrote: So, you tried both the worms and the raw chicken?
Of course. Why?

Don't you?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

B-Rad wrote:
RRM wrote: If you buy in a supermarket with a good reputation,
Why?
It's all about cost-benefit analysis. If the cost of preventing outbreaks to a certain degree supercedes the benefit of maintaining a certain degree of rep and preventing legal hassle, it most likely WILL happen.
Exactly. such supermarkets are price fighters, and are willing to cut costs as much as possible.
Thats exactly why i tell people to buy chicken in a supermarket with a good reputation (not a price fighter).
Supermarkets with a good reputation have that reputation because that is their goal.
Its part of their business model.
They are willing to pay a little extra for stringent controls to keep that reputation.
RRM wrote: So, you tried both the worms and the raw chicken?
Of course.
Are you saying:
"of course they taste the same"?
Don't you?
I didnt try worms.
Did you like the worms?
fictor

Post by fictor »

I eat raw, organic, not frozen chicken several times a week. It tastes excellent with avocado and olive oil :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Do you eat specific parts of the chicken? Don't you have gas problems because of combining avocado with protein?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

A campylobacteria associated with chicken meat is Campylobacter jejuni.
Normally, Campylobacter jejuni infections occur twice as much as salmonella infections.
Its usually associated with drinking water (or raw milk) that has not been sufficiently purified,
but contamination may also happen due to poor hygiene in the meat industry.
('fecal contamination'; its usually present in the colon of animals)
Infection is associated with stomach aches and diarrhea (acute enteritis),
and often headaches, muscle aches and fever.
Antibiotics are not required for the healing process.

Infections by consuming chicken meat usually occurs by consuming barbeque meat,
as the bacteria only multiplies between 32 and 45°C;
once the meat has been barbequed, its at the right temperature for multiplication
after getting cross contaminated by raw meat.

Beef is never contaminated with Campylobacter jejuni due to the combination of drying and cooling of the meat. ('forced ventilation')
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Infections by consuming chicken meat usually occurs by consuming barbeque meat,
as the bacteria only multiplies between 32 and 45°C;
Isn't the purpose of barbecuing/cooking the meat to kill bacteria? How can bacteria still multiply?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote: Isn't the purpose of barbecuing/cooking the meat to kill bacteria? How can bacteria still multiply?
The barbecued meat usually gets handled with the same hands or fork / knife as the raw pieces,
or even makes it to the same plate.
Thats where the barbecued meat gets contaminated after being barbecued.
Then its warm, and the perfect ground for the bacteria to multiply rapidly.

Besides that, some (larger chunks) of the meat get almost burned at the outside,
while only warmed up at the inside;
yet another perfect breeding ground for bacteria.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Oscar wrote:Do you eat specific parts of the chicken? Don't you have gas problems because of combining avocado with protein?
I eat chicken filets. And no, it seems fine for me to combine avocado and animal foods, as long as the avocado is really ripe.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I see. It seems we're all different when it comes to sensitivity to fiber (combined with protein).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

There is not much data available regarding omega-3 fats in chicken en turkey.
(very few samples in USDA a little more in Souci, S.W. Nutrition Tabels)
Here are those available data (per 100 g):

ALA 18:3
230 mg in adult turkey
110 mg in chicken, average
81 mg in young turkey
78 mg in chicken leg
49 mg in chicken breast

EPA 20:5
10 mg in chicken, average

DPA 22:5
100 mg in chicken breast
67 mg in chicken leg