Is raw chicken ok?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
avalon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Chicken Sashimi

Post by avalon »

Several months ago, upon learning of Aajonus Vonderplanitz eating raw chicken, I was curious and did so also. I figured I was already eating raw eggs and beef. So I marinated chicken in lemon juice for 24 hours, only because I heard it was one way of doing it. Since then I've made chicken nori rolls (as munch food) :shock: without marinating and enjoyed them. I've also mixed it into a salad. I guess I've eaten raw chicken now for the sum total of 5 or six times- so not too much. But still, it's been very exciting and i just found out that chicken sashimi is served in restaraunts! Who knew.

http://www.newyorker.com/goingson/table ... OAT_tables

http://www.bento.com/rev/2296.html

It's certainly easier finding antibiotic and hormone free chicken than it is for me to find same beef.

Oh my stomach :?

Hey, are there parasites in chicken? I'm not sure I've ever heard of them.
nick

Post by nick »

Interesting!
How does it compare to sashimi?
How is it different?
Is it tasty or satisfying to eat?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Hey nick,
The truth is there isn't much of a strong flavor, if any. I've read it tastes close to itself when cooked, but I'm not sure as most of all the cooked chicken I've ever eaten was flavored by roasting etc. Maybe I'll do a taste test. I've used the boneless breasts and find the texture slighty more chewy than raw fish, but nice.

As a "munch" item, I melted some butter with lemon juice and some pepper and made a sauce. It was delicious!

I've always been good at sensing 'bad' taste you know. Like when you first taste something and you instictively can't eat it. I payed attention to how I felt upon trying the chicken, and there was no impilse not to eat it.

Parasites in chicken anyone? Or is it mostly good old-Sal we have to worry about???
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Since years I have been eating raw chicken when I couldnt get any raw fish or eggs due to a lack of time, or because i was too late and normal shops had closed.
The flesh is kind of tasteless.
Its nice that you have something to chew on, but on the other hand, the longer you chew on it, the more it appears to be tasteless.
It doesnt even come a little close to the taste and texture of fatty fish.
Its a bit bleek alternative for when you were unable to find any fish / eggs.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Bleak sounds so bleak :cry:

I am curious to see if I continue to eat it, will I experience the same movements as you???

I could use a good cleaning :shock:
joe_y

Is raw chicken ok?

Post by joe_y »

I'm just wondering if raw chicken meat is ok to eat. Thanks in advance.
esprit

Post by esprit »

Isn't a lot of (supermarket) chicken (or other meat available in supermarkets) previously frozen and /or gamma irradiated for contamination control?
joe_y

Post by joe_y »

Thanks for that. But do you know if I could get any parasites from raw chicken?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

esprit wrote:Isn't a lot of (supermarket) chicken (or other meat available in supermarkets) previously frozen and /or gamma irradiated for contamination control?
Supermarket chicken is probably frozen, yes. In the US I think all raw meat has been irradiated (by law), but not necessarily in Europe (or elsewhere).
joe_y wrote:But do you know if I could get any parasites from raw chicken?
As far as I know chicken meat doesn't contain parasites that would pose a problem for us, but I'm not totally sure about that. :?
Organic/naturally raised chicken should be a safe(r) bet.

Why would you be interested in eating chicken meat?
joe_y

Post by joe_y »

Oscar wrote:Why would you be interested in eating chicken meat?

"In the US as in many other countries irradiated food must be labeled as “Treated with irradiation” or “Treated by radiation” and require the usage of the Radura symbol at the point of sale." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation I've yet to come across meat labeled with that and I live in the US.

"Many supermarkets carry irradiated food products today ranging from fresh fruit, dehydrated spices and ground meat products." So it seems not much normal meat is irradiated.

And I'm interested in chicken meat because it's cheap.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Ah ok, then irradiation shouldn't be a concern.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No worries regarding parasites, and yes, its a cheap alternative.
If you are going to eat it, you need to start carefully and only gradually increase the portions so that your defense system has time to adjust. (otherwise you may get diarrhea)
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

By raw chicken, do you guys mean the whole chicken, with the breasts, thighs and organs? I would like to try raw chicken sashimi, which would be better to try first? Tenderloin, breast or thighs or something else?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I mean chicken filet; not organs. (though chicken hearts are delicious too)
It doesnt matter if you take tenderloin, breast or thigh.
Just make sure its very fresh. Dont go for cheap (nor discount, of course).
Go for a big supermarket that sells lots of it, with a very good reputation.
B-Rad

Post by B-Rad »

joe_y wrote:Thanks for that. But do you know if I could get any parasites from raw chicken?
salmonella