Salty raw fish? (from sushi bar)

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Salty raw fish? (from sushi bar)

Post by avo »

Anyone ever experience slightly salty tuna or salmon sashimi when eating at a sushi place? I got some salmon and tuna to-go the other night, and I noticed right away that it tasted salty, especially the salmon. I was able to compare it with some fresh amberjack, the salmon and tuna were definitely salty, but not like they was smoked.

Any ideas why this may have happened? Is there any salting or brine immersion used in the freezing/thawing processes? I vaguely recall reading about soaking fish in saltwater prior to freezing, or using a saltwater bath during defrosting. I know some fancy places sprinkle their fancy salt on fish sometimes, but this wasn't the case.

Anyways, I did come across this: [Discussing different freezing/chilling techniques for storing albacore tuna on-board] "Freezing systems using salt brine (spray and immersion) rely on the fact that a strong salt brine will not freeze unless its temperature is below 0 °F. Tuna properly exposed to this cold brine will freeze so fast that little salt is absorbed into the meat. However, if the temperature of the brine is not cold enough, the tuna will absorb salt from the brine and have a salty taste."

Any ideas?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmm, never experienced that so far at a restaurant, only with previously frozen fish at a fish store.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Never experienced it either, but your explanation makes sense.