wild vs farmed

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

wild vs farmed

Post by johndela1 »

I was under the impression that wild salmon was a must. Are there people here who include farm raised salmon in their diets? I want to eat the best I can, but sometims the wild slamon is really expensive and am wondering if I should just use egg yolks for the times I can't afford it or buy farm raised.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The downside of wild salmon is the small risk of parasites
The downside of farmed salmon is the use of processed feedings, and thus the risk of accumulation of bad fats and toxins.
Farmed organic salmon may be the answer.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Farmed organic salmon here...very tasty. :)
AnnGrazjun

WARNING: Fish in high amounts = danger!!

Post by AnnGrazjun »

Anything that's 'farmed' is inorganic...unless someone can prove me otherwise. The sad truth about farming is that they ALWAYS do it in excess, where the fish are cramped and prone to infections and disease. The sad truth about organic is; 1) the fish population is being depleted at an alarming rate, especially since sushi became the 'it' factor here in the States. 2) The amount of toxins and lead are at such a high level that it is DANGEROUS to eat the amount of fish being prescribed here...I wonder what Wai was thinking with this??
AnnGrazjun

Add'l comment

Post by AnnGrazjun »

I am aware that some fish contain more toxins than others. However, studies have consistently shown that the rate of our pollutants entering the waters are increasing, not decreasing. No matter what, it is unsafe to eat high amounts of ANY kind of fish these days. The level of mercury in today's fish are unprecedented. My point is, EVERYTHING we shove down our throats contain some kind of toxin, but fish are one of the worst retainers of them. Just be careful not to overindulge of our creature friends.
Everything we touch turns to gold...then to sh_t
fictor

Re: WARNING: Fish in high amounts = danger!!

Post by fictor »

AnnGrazjun wrote:Anything that's 'farmed' is inorganic...unless someone can prove me otherwise.
I do not know the specific guidelines that the fish farmers have to follow to be allowed to call their product 'organic', but it is not like there is nothing called organic farmed salmon. I eat it myself regularly.

I assume that as with organicly raised beef, pork, chickens etc. there are some guidelines about what to feed the salmon (like 80%organic material)
and there is some guidelines about how many fish per square meter, or something like that.
johndela1

Re: WARNING: Fish in high amounts = danger!!

Post by johndela1 »

AnnGrazjun wrote:Anything that's 'farmed' is inorganic...unless someone can prove me otherwise.

What is your definition of organic for fish?

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_food

By the way I don't eat farm fish for some of the same reasons you talk about.

Things that are certified organic are done so because the environment is known and controlled. things that are wild could really eat anything.

I think the word organic has more definitions than inorganic. I've heard the word conventional used to describe foods that are not organic.
justin1

fresh raw organic farmed salmon?

Post by justin1 »

Oscar wrote:Farmed organic salmon here...very tasty. :)
Hi Oscar,
Are you talking of FRESH RAW or FREEZED organic farmed salmon...?

/Justin1
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I buy it unfrozen, but I'm not sure if it has been frozen on the way from Scotland to here.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Oscar, I'm very curious... Where can you buy that??? :D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

My local fishmonger apparently gets it from a fish importer in Urk. Maybe your fishmonger also has contacts somewhere?
Iris

Post by Iris »

No, unfortunately they don't..... Probably they're just unwilling. Guess they are afraid it doesn't sell or something :(
But I'm still very curious where you buy it in Amsterdam (I assume), since I'm there often too :)
justin1

adverse effects from fresh raw non-organic farmed salmon

Post by justin1 »

hi,

---i want to inform you that unfortunatelly i get some very bad adverse effects from fresh raw non-organic farmed salmon which i tried now for a few weeks...:(

---so, i have quit eating it, until the time when there will be organic fed/farmed fresh raw salmon on the sale available, what just might not happen for a long time, as dealers still resist taking their responcibility...:(

---what a shame that fish industry is so far behind in they thinking and ethics...:(

---so, now it will be only yolks from organic farmed free-range chickens...

/Justin One
;)/JustinOne
Iris

Post by Iris »

What kind of adverse effects did you notice? How much and how often did you eat it? And did you eat munch food during that time?
justin1

Post by justin1 »

Iris wrote:What kind of adverse effects did you notice? How much and how often did you eat it? And did you eat munch food during that time?
---nasal pathways swollen, face swollen, runny nose, some acne, heavy building up of mucus, "asthmatic" coughing, loss of power/energy, bad mood, tiredness, more need for sleep, diarrhea and constipation...

---i feel pronounced aftertaste a few hrs after eating of salmon which feel even stronger the day after, a sort of "acidic" or other "pollutant" aftertaste and feeling in my entire body...

---i have not eating any munch foods at all...

---i might eaten too much of salmon at a time, and i eat it almost every day, and i did not exclude yolks at a time, - so i ate 100-200g salmon and 2-3 yolks once a day (which IS too much), the rest of my daily foods is only fruits and a few brazil nuts, nothing else..., and i eat only one meal a day during the evening...

---however, i have learned a little to recognize and read the signs of my body, and now a few days after not eating any salmon i feel different in a positive sense, and the awful aftertaste is gone..., i still eat some yolks 3-4 per day...

---it was a try, as i was looking onto organic fed/farmed fresh raw salmon really...
;)/JustinOne