Strictly carnivorous diet

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Strictly carnivorous diet

Post by johndela1 »

I've been reading a lot about very low carb diets. The followers of these diets say meat gives you every vitamin and mineral you need. Beef isn't in the nutrient calculator so I can't check, at least here.

There are many people who eat nothing but meat and have been doing so for years.

Does anyone know if eating only meat will meet nutritional requirements? If no, what does it lack?

I was wondering about vitamin C. Some people say you don't need C if you aren't eating only meat. Others say you get vitamin C from liver.
Christina

Post by Christina »

I don't know about the exact nutrients in beef.
But I've heard that if you only eat protein/fat, you get really weird breath(ketobreath) and lots of people get backed up on such a diet.
My friend told me, that he met a guy who lived with the Eskimos for a while. He ate the raw meat etc. with them and believes in it. But he eats raw dairy, too. I hope to meet him because I'm curious about all that.
If I find out sth. good, i'll post it here.
I once did a diet for one year with only raw fish, esp. shrimp, egg yolks and raw butter plus a tiny handfull of berries and seeds in the morning. I ate 6 tiny meals per day. I lost like 20 lbs but I was in a grumpy mood more than usual and I was more nervous. Sweet food, I believe, calm the nerves. Oh, and my period was a little off at that time, too.
But if you can get grass fed good quality ground beef. You can have a meal of that with egg yolk if it doesn't make you break out.
Another thing that might interest you. I know a guy who looks amazing and he basically eats raw and only one food at a time like only beef with a little oliveoil or one carrot or an apple.... He grazes like that all day.
I hope my post won't be erased because it's not 100% Wai talk.
But I understand if it will be, though.
I wish, I could tell you more but I'm also feeding on scraps of information.
Christina
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

IMO you need to give your brain as much sugar as it requires to function 'optimally'.

Can you get this soley from beef? I couldn't say.

You just have to test it out. Feeling good and functioning optimal as a human is the name of the game.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The body can convert protein and fat into glucose, so energywise it would be possible. Not sure about (lack of) other nutrients.

You'll get into a ketosis state, hence the bad breath. We've had a discussion about this with Ketodog.

(It isn't natural (even though it could very well work) because we're not pure carnivores.)
RRM
Administrator

Re: nutrients in beef

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:Does anyone know if eating only meat will meet nutritional requirements? If no, what does it lack? I was wondering about vitamin C.
You will lack vitamin C, indeed.
Here's whats in 100 g. beef (Souci SW et al):

0.06 g. carbs
1.9 g fat
22 g protein
58 mg cholesterol

66 mg sodium
355 mg potassium
23 mg magnesium
5.9 mg calcium
22 mcg manganese
2.2 mg iron
88 mcg copper
4.3 mg zinc
6 mcg nickel
5.4 mcg chromium
28 mcg molybdenum
5 mcg aluminium
194 mg phosphorus
52 mg chloride
55 mcg fluoride
6.8 mcg iodide
45 mcg boron
5.2 mcg selenium

20 mcg vitamin A
480 mcg vitamin E act.
12.5 mcg vitamin K
230 mcg vitamin B1
260 mcg vitamin B2
7500 mcg vitamin B3
600 mcg vitamin B5
186 mcg vitamin B6
3 mcg vitamin B8 (biotin)
3 mcg vitamin B9 (folic acid)
5 mcg vitamin B12
Some people say you don't need C if you aren't eating only meat. Others say you get vitamin C from liver.
Ox liver (30 mg), heart (6 mg), lungs (39 mg), spleen (30 mg), kidney (11 mg), brain (17 mg) and tongue (4 mg) indeed contain vitamin C, but not beef. And yes, you do need vitamin C.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I hope I'm not being too picky. I was looking for a list of all the nutrients so I can see were meat is 0.

That is really shocking to find out that beef liver lacks Vit. C.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I hope I'm not being too picky. I was looking for a list of all the nutrients so I can see were meat is 0.
Huh?
Im sorry, i dont understand. All the nutrients that are listed is all the nutrients they researched the meat for.
That is really shocking to find out that beef liver lacks Vit. C.
I didnt say that ox liver contains no vitamin C, I said that beef (muscles only) contains no vitamin C. In fact, thats my assumption, as there is no vitamin C listed for beef.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote:
johndela1 wrote:I hope I'm not being too picky. I was looking for a list of all the nutrients so I can see were meat is 0.
Huh?
Im sorry, i dont understand. All the nutrients that are listed is all the nutrients they researched the meat for.
never mind. I can figure this out myself. I'm just trying to find the opposite, what does meat lack. Many very low carbers say meat has everything we need to live and if you don't eat grains and carbs in general that your nutrient requirements change. some people say that you don't really need Vitamin C.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

johndela1 wrote:some people say that you don't really need Vitamin C.
I think this is one of the things we do know we need. No vit C => scurvy. ;)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote:
johndela1 wrote:some people say that you don't really need Vitamin C.
I think this is one of the things we do know we need. No vit C => scurvy. ;)
There are a lot of people who eat only meat that don't get scurvy. This makes me think maybe they are right when they (the very low carb forum posters) say vitamin C is only one factor in scurvy.

I'm just wondering why people who only eat animal protein don't seem to show deficiencies.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

johndela1 wrote:There are a lot of people who eat only meat that don't get scurvy. This makes me think maybe they are right when they (the very low carb forum posters) say vitamin C is only one factor in scurvy.
Or they eat something which contains vit. C.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I doubt that they only eat meat...
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote:I doubt that they only eat meat...
I think many of them actually do and seem to show no deficiencies. I mean there is a whole movement about just eating meat.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

So, you are not sure? Do you know of a site that proclaims this diet?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »