how to tell how fresh an egg is; they look thick

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: how to tell how fresh an egg is; they look thick

Post by RRM »

Exactly the same here.
Keep in mind that all my 4 kids have been eating raw egg yolks since they were 6 months old, without adverse reactions.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

I never wash my egg shells.
As I follow the concept of you shouldn't wash raw chicken: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/raw-chicken ... u-wash-it/
Washing raw chicken, contrary to all the washing hype for cleanliness, is not a good idea.
These researchers believe that chicken bacteria gets airborne when water splashes onto it, helping it spread onto your kitchen sink, shirt, kitchen counter tops ...etc.

The egg shells can theoretically fall into 2 categories:
A) Egg shell with no or little bacteria.
B) Egg shell with lots of bacteria.
But we don't know if egg B) ever exists, it is probably 1 in thousands of chances, as there are probably poultry regulations on having uninfected healthy chicken lay eggs.

Here is how I open the egg:
1. I tap one egg shell open against a ceramic bowl_1, and the egg whites goes into ceramic bowl_2, and the egg yolks goes into ceramic bowl_3, and the egg shells goes into ceramic bowl_1 and then to the garbage. Ceramic bowl_1 could have bacteria from egg shell B) touching a 1 mm edge, hence I use other bowls for holding egg whites and egg yolks, or it could have none as in egg shell A). But I am rejecting that bowl just for extra precaution.

2. If the egg yolks break in the process of being sliced by the egg shell, then the whole egg goes into bowl_1 and gets discarded.
That way I reject an egg that might have bacteria such as category B), but it could have been a perfectly good egg for scrambling such as A).

3. If the egg yolk lands into ceramic bowl_2 intact, it probably didn't touch the egg shell of B) or A), so it is very likely to be safe, I just need a spoon to scoop it out. Then I rinse off the egg whites with water.

4. If the egg yolk lands into ceramic bowl_2 broken, egg whites that mix with egg yolk taste disgusting. I discard it for the taste.

5. If the egg yolk lands into ceramic bowl_3 intact, I rinse it with water to get rid of the remaining droplets of egg whites.

6. If the egg yolk lands into ceramic bowl_3 broken, it probably has a few drops of egg whites, depending on the taste I might discard it. Usually the few week old eggs break easily when they land in bowl_3, so I leave that carton for other people that like scrambled eggs, and I start a fresher carton.

I hardly ever throw out an egg. Maybe 1 egg / month, I am not clumsy. ;)
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Aytundra wrote:I never wash my egg shells.
As I follow the concept of you shouldn't wash raw chicken: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/raw-chicken ... u-wash-it/
Washing raw chicken, contrary to all the washing hype for cleanliness, is not a good idea.
These researchers believe that chicken bacteria gets airborne when water splashes onto it, helping it spread onto your kitchen sink, shirt, kitchen counter tops ...etc.

The egg shells can theoretically fall into 2 categories:
A) Egg shell with no or little bacteria.
B) Egg shell with lots of bacteria.
But we don't know if egg B) ever exists, it is probably 1 in thousands of chances, as there are probably poultry regulations on having uninfected healthy chicken lay eggs.

Here is how I open the egg:
1. I tap one egg shell open against a ceramic bowl_1, and the egg whites goes into ceramic bowl_2, and the egg yolks goes into ceramic bowl_3, and the egg shells goes into ceramic bowl_1 and then to the garbage. Ceramic bowl_1 could have bacteria from egg shell B) touching a 1 mm edge, hence I use other bowls for holding egg whites and egg yolks, or it could have none as in egg shell A). But I am rejecting that bowl just for extra precaution.

2. If the egg yolks break in the process of being sliced by the egg shell, then the whole egg goes into bowl_1 and gets discarded.
That way I reject an egg that might have bacteria such as category B), but it could have been a perfectly good egg for scrambling such as A).

3. If the egg yolk lands into ceramic bowl_2 intact, it probably didn't touch the egg shell of B) or A), so it is very likely to be safe, I just need a spoon to scoop it out. Then I rinse off the egg whites with water.

4. If the egg yolk lands into ceramic bowl_2 broken, egg whites that mix with egg yolk taste disgusting. I discard it for the taste.

5. If the egg yolk lands into ceramic bowl_3 intact, I rinse it with water to get rid of the remaining droplets of egg whites.

6. If the egg yolk lands into ceramic bowl_3 broken, it probably has a few drops of egg whites, depending on the taste I might discard it. Usually the few week old eggs break easily when they land in bowl_3, so I leave that carton for other people that like scrambled eggs, and I start a fresher carton.

I hardly ever throw out an egg. Maybe 1 egg / month, I am not clumsy. ;)
I used to freak out so much when I was going to eat an egg yolk... Overtime I got less cautious and started to eat them in a faster way (which may not be a good thing though). You still seem to proceed the same way since your very first raw egg yolk.

One question regarding washing food: have you ever had eggs from a local farmer or neighbor...? Because some of them are literally full of feces.
I also respect the idea of not washing food (even though my mum always prefers to wash it to remove and clean some parts that she doesn't like), but eggs like these are nasty. I wash and clean them with paper. I do this, because it makes sense to me. I am not willing to crack them all dirty with the possibility of some dirty parts may end up on the bowl too... Also, these are very slippery (guess why...).
If I remember, I may try not washing them if I happen to have one of those again (on these, I usually wash and re wash my hands. One less wash). Not a big difference.
Also I bet you would also wash nasty eggs :P
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Novidez wrote:You still seem to proceed the same way since your very first raw egg yolk.
Can't think of a quicker way without risking food contamination.
Novidez wrote:I also respect the idea of not washing food (even though my mum always prefers to wash it to remove and clean some parts that she doesn't like),
For not washing a whole chicken, I think those study tell us not to wash the chicken because they assume the chicken will be roasted, grilled, fried or baked and the bacteria on the skin will eventually be killed when the skin is a crispy golden brown.

I personally do wash chicken that the supermarket cut into parts, i.e. wings, legs, breast, thighs, because I don't know if their blade is clean, I don't want metal filings on my chicken. I just use a metal tong, gloves and an apron, and place a clean plate in the sink so that if I accidentally drop the meat it does not land on the dirty surface area of the sink, and I wash the meat clamped between a metal tong near the mid-bottom-center air space of the sink so that the water does not splash bacteria outside of the sink. Usually I would prepare a metal pot with warmed water right next to the sink. When I am done rinsing the meat, I bring the meat into the pot. Then the meat gets cooked or slow-cooked depending on how long I want to wait.
Novidez wrote: One question regarding washing food: have you ever had eggs from a local farmer or neighbor...? Because some of them are literally full of feces...but eggs like these are nasty. I wash and clean them with paper. I do this, because it makes sense to me. I am not willing to crack them all dirty with the possibility of some dirty parts may end up on the bowl too...
I have never bought from a local farmer or neighbor, as farms are not nearby, I live in a suburban area, everything comes from a supermarket.

The eggs also have a best before date or a date of packaging stamped on the egg itself with a pink or blue dye.
I like eggs with pink dye. The blue ones are like whhaat? blue? blue dye? I don't like blue dyes on my food.
So I think the eggs have been through quite an inspection, going through a roller coaster of rolling on metal wire chutes to sort for size and to acquire a stamp of expiration date before they reached the paper carton, probably these eggs came from caged chicken raised and given a sterile environment for egg laying. (but I should waste some money and buy those expensive organic grass fed eggs to see if they have these lovely stamps on them as well.).
Novidez wrote:Also, these are very slippery (guess why...).
Uhmm, because you added soap to wash it, and it became slippery?
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!