how to tell how fresh an egg is; they look thick

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Biev
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

how to tell how fresh an egg is; they look thick

Post by Biev »

I've been wondering how to tell how fresh an egg is, since I have nothing to compare with. This new batch of eggs that I just got is from a different company, and they taste normal and don't have a smell, but they look... thicker than what I'm used to. The whites just fall out as a big gelatinous mass with a plop, (I think egg whites are the grossest thing in the world) and the yolks are not as runny as usual. Are they less fresh, or is this normal? ...I hope they're okay to eat (-_-);
Biev

Post by Biev »

(After eating one, I feel sick, but I'm thinking it's psychological. Everything my parents forced me to eat as a child made me sick too : P)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Normally the thicker the white and yolk, the fresher the egg is (at room temperature).

Some of the testing methods are explained here:
http://www.freeacnebook.com/AcneQandA.htm#000

These are quite strict, but that's for when one just starts eating yolks. I only don't consume the egg if it really looks weird.
Biev

Post by Biev »

Ooh, thanks! I'll try those, at least until I have a fairly good idea of what a fresh egg looks like ^.^;;
Secondly: shake the eggs; when they dash, don't consume them.
I don't understand what she means by "when they dash". Also if I shake the egg, won't the yolk break?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Your eggs seem very fresh to me.
Biev wrote:
Secondly: shake the eggs; when they dash, don't consume them.
I don't understand what she means by "when they dash".
As the egg gets older, there is more air in it, so that when you shake the egg, there is room for the yolk and white to move inside the egg, so that you can feel it moving ('dash against the shell')
Also if I shake the egg, won't the yolk break?
Shake softly, and everything is ok. If there is hardly any air inside, there is no room for the yolk to break.
Biev

Post by Biev »

You were right, my eggs were fine, and once they're at room temperature, they don't look gross anymore - they look (and are) delicious : ) Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll remember to leave them out every day. Straight from the fridge, the yolk felt like eating a very thick paste, ew. My fridge is probably just too cold. I guess someone changed the settings... I've been trying to thaw something in there for ages.

Ah, and I did end up being sick... but it wasn't the eggs' fault. I have a bad cold (-_-);
Novidez

Re: how to tell how fresh an egg is; they look thick

Post by Novidez »

"If it smells 'weird', don't eat it."

Today I put a yolk in my mouth that smelled weird. I only realized it a little bit too late. It also tasted weird, so I spit it out and washed my mouth immediately.
But, there was another that smelled like that too but only the sac; the yolk inside didn't smell weird like the previous one. So I ate it and it tasted good, absolutely not like the other one... but now I'm wondering if I should not have done that :? . I'm feeling fine though...

When you mean "If it smells 'weird', don't eat it.", you are talking about the whole egg, the white, the yolk inside the sac or about the yolk cream itself?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its about that what you put in your mouth.
I think you did exactly right. If the liquid yolk smelled fine, it should be fine.
Firmness of the yolk-sac is most telling, i think.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:Its about that what you put in your mouth.
I think you did exactly right. If the liquid yolk smelled fine, it should be fine.
Firmness of the yolk-sac is most telling, i think.
The yolk-sac was very firm but smelled like hens poop that was my concern. However, the previous one despite also having a firm yolk-sac, the liquid yolk had a very unpleasant smell either (not to mention the taste of course).

Since the egg shell has pores it is just normal to absorb the smells around it, right? For example, I read when eggs are near citrus fruits they absorb their odours.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Now, look at this situation that happened to me today and it already happened in the past too:
I had some fresh eggs from house made hens. Their white is really sticky, it's a completely whole different level of quality, can't even compare to the whites from eggs that I usually buy from the supermarket. However, this is the problem: the egg sacs pop really easily. The liquid yolk inside the sac is so big that the sac can't hold it the moment I do some 'rough' tests to check if the sac is firm enough. Some 'survive'...
I feel really bad because they appear to be very healthy, so to speak. The white seems to prove that... If I am, of course, really really careful with my movements, the sacs don't break.
You always suggest to check the firmness of the yolk. So, even if the white is very sticky, but the yolk is fragile, it is recommended to not eat them too?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

It sounds as if the eggs are really fresh. I would definitely try them.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:It sounds as if the eggs are really fresh. I would definitely try them.
That's what I did, otherwise I would have to send a few to the garbage and probably wasting them. And yeah, the yolks were all creamy (the ones from supermarket are completely waterish), the whites were very sticky, no bad symptoms right after, just a delicious taste in my mouth :)
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

put eggs in to the water
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarciavD

Post by MarciavD »

Do you guys really test every egg you eat for freshness? I don't, I just eat them all? I almost never throw away a yolk!
Maybe once per three months there's one egg that looks bad (that one I don't eat), but I just don't test and never have any complaints whatsoever regarding
the yolks?
At this moment I eat 8+ yolks a day, so I can say I eat them very often.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I never check, other than looking at the yolk, and I hardly ever throw one away.