Help finding egg yokes!

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
jay
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Help finding egg yokes!

Post by jay »

I have run into a bit of a problem with finding good raw egg yokes. I used to get my eggs from a guy who raised his own hens in his back yard. The hens were fed fresh organic greens (not grains) and the eggs were always super fresh (layed within the last few days.) It was perfect...

But now this guy has gotten rid of his hens and I haven't been able to find anyone who does something similar. So what I'm wondering is this:

Is it okay to use the eggs from the supermarket? From what I understand, the eggs at the supermarket can be called "fresh" as long as they are less than three MONTHS old! That doesn't sound good to me. And also, as far as I can tell, the eggs at the supermarket are all from grain fed hens, even the organic ones, so they won't be rich in Omega-3s. Is it okay to get by using these ones until I can find a better source?

Thanks!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Aren't chickens always grain fed?
You have to make sure the eggs aren't pasteurized.
MJ

Post by MJ »

Oscar,

There are farmers out there who sell eggs from chickens who were allowed to roam free and hunt for worms and larva. These eggs are really expensive, however, the result is very different. Eggs from these chickens actually have yoke that is orange rather than yellow.
Biev

Post by Biev »

Sounds like we all need to buy some hens : )
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I have access to eggs that are good and they are actually really cheap. I just have to drive an hour to get them...