carpaccio; is it really raw?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Annieke
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

carpaccio; is it really raw?

Post by Annieke »

Does anyone know if carpaccio is really raw, or that it has been treated in any way?

And raw meat in general, is that really raw or no? I read something here about it being denatured or something, I'm not sure if that's the word.
MJ

Post by MJ »

You have to ask the butcher. Most meats you get at the supermarket has been irradiated.
Annieke

Post by Annieke »

Right, thanks, that's the word I was looking for!
MJ

Post by MJ »

If you go to some farmer's market, you may be able to find beef that has not been irradiated.
Annieke

Post by Annieke »

Thanks for the suggestion, MJ!
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Im in the middle of a thon carpaccio and i had to tell you just how good it is.

I read on the forums that in europe they dont irradiate meats so it must be ok.
The only problem could be the rapeseed oil, salt and spices.

Rapeseed oil is not 100% wai i guess.

Other than that its raw protein and raw oil so if somebody's not sensible to salt and spices it could be a great replacement for sashimi when not available.

PS. i didnt started a new thread, that way we have one thread about carpaccio 101.
avo

Post by avo »

Most of the time, ordering from a menu, the very outside of the beef is seared and peppered/salted, much like tuna tataki. Also often served with greens, capers and shaved Parmesan.

That said... the tastiest way to go is to buy your own tenderloin (conventional/natural/grass-fed or what have you), freeze partially, and slice very thinly. That way there's no salt, no cooking, perhaps just a drizzle of olive oil. Usually there's plenty of meat left over in order to experiment with tartare as well. :)

Every now and then, I get a strong craving for raw meat, or meat in general. The fattier, the better. Can't explain it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ducky wrote: I read on the forums that in europe they dont irradiate meats
Yes, but i keep hearing from butchers that they do...
Also, when i taste raw beef, it almost always has that somewhat saur aftertaste. It clearly doesnt taste 'raw'. And when i do encounter a good piece of raw beef, the difference is very obvious, in the 'aftertaste'