What about salmon roe?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
ychiung
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

What about salmon roe?

Post by ychiung »

In Japanese restaurants, salmon roe is sometimes offered as part of the salmon sashimi and I am wondering if this is OK to eat without adversely affected an acne condition?

Also, what about Miso soup?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I seem to remember someone mentioning that there is a problem with the roe, because it's usually treated. Not sure about it though.

Miso soup is a no-no (heated fish and seaweed).
ychiung

Sushi rice as munchie

Post by ychiung »

I have another question about the sushi rice. How much of it can we eat as a munchie to remain below protein limit of 15g/day ? Is the 15g limit universal for all?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Sushi rice as munchie

Post by RRM »

ychiung wrote:I have another question about the sushi rice. How much of it can we eat as a munchie to remain below protein limit of 15g/day ? Is the 15g limit universal for all?
that is impossible to tell, as it is completely individually different.
The roe is mostly not even real roe.
And no, its not raw, as then it degenerates very quickly.
CY

Post by CY »

Salmon roe should be avoided on a strict Wai diet. Roe undergoes extensive processing to become the product we are familiar with served in sushi bars and japanese resturaunts.

Methods vary, but almost all roe is brined in a salt solution (some producers use soy sauce) to begin with, and then is further exposed to salt during the curing process. Harmful nitrites are included in the brine to preserve the orangish color of the roe and to protect the flavor to some extent. Agents are added to prevent the individual roe from "bursting" during distribution, and other substances are sometimes sprayed on to maintain slippery consistancy so the roe does not stick together. Finally, almost all roe is deep frozen before distribution. Unfrozen roe is rare, and can be found in Japan, but it is usually smoked instead.

Compounding this, roe, especially roe from farm-raised fish, contains trace amounts of many environmental toxins harmful to human health. The majority of these toxins found in roe are lipid-soluable, because they originated in the mother fish, which has been accumulating them for some time. During gestation, a very large portion of the mother's bodyfat is used forming the eggs, which are later moved from the body, demonstrating an efficient method a fish uses to protect itself: a large amount of dangerous substances is purged from the fish, but the substances are relatively harmless to the fetuses. Human consumption of roe over time may allow accumulation of those toxins in fat stores of the body. The same problem exists for eating fish and other animal products to a lesser extent. Farm raised roe and fish are more dangerous to eat than wild because concentrations of many of these substances are higher in land bodies of water and runoff.

I'd stick with just eating the salmon or tuna sashimi...
ychiung

Thanks for the info

Post by ychiung »

Hi CY, thank you for telling me. I didnt know that; I figured if I hadnt asked I would have thought that roe was perfectly OK to eat for the Wai diet. I didnt seem to get break-outs from eating roe if I hadnt known all these I would have continued eating it indefinitely, thereby ingesting all those toxins you just mentioned...

Where did you get the insight?
CY

Post by CY »

One of my friends works at a local Japanese resturaunt where I eat sometimes, so I get him to feed me tidbits of info regarding processing, production, and preparation (and which foods to avoid). I did some web research to figure out some specifics.

It's a big timesaver when you have insider information :)