Eggs; how to separate the yolk/white

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Mark
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Eggs; how to separate the yolk/white

Post by Mark »

The method described on the site below does an exellent job of cleaning the white off the yolk.

http://www.alessandrakelley.com/eggmedium.html
By their fruits shall ye know them.
avalon

Post by avalon »

I tried the hand toss routine but I honestly can do without it. Constantly icking my hand seems unecessary. I have a small metal separater not unlike the one shown.

Makes it really easy. I picked mine up from a Good Will thrift shop.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Me too. And my mum pilfered it off her friend for me :)
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Thanks, Mark :) I tried the paper towel thing today, and it works REALLY well! Now, I don't have to worry about having any more white on my hand as I scrape the rest of the egg yolk off it into the cup. Wonderful! :) I kind of like seperating my yolk from the whites with my hands...perhaps because I kind of consider the egg a baby chick that will never come into being so that it can nourish me, for which I am very grateful, so I like to separate it with my hands, as a more intimate thank you, I guess...does that make sense? I'm in no way saying that avalon and Cairidh aren't grateful :D Just stating how I feel about the egg yolks :) Thanks again, Mark :D

~Amber
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Mark, I tried the paper towel method also and was impressed. Since the bag gets sticky, it doesn't slip out of my fingers anymore. Yay! And more yolk drains out.

Bambi726, thanks for sharing! I must be more grateful for my daily intake of undeveloped baby chicks. :cry:
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Haha, you guys are great! :lol: dadasarah - Aww, don't feel bad! At least it doesn't cause any pain whatsoever, it's just the former potential of the egg to become a chick that I'm grateful because of...you know what I mean? I guess even the potential's not there if the egg wasn't fertilized, so no worries! ;) It's a gift from the chicken :D

~Amber
nick

Post by nick »

Most Definitely!
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

:D

Is the good old method of twirling the egg alternatively between two half-shells outdated? I still find it the most practical. Some egg yolks are very fragile, but then I just discard them.

I'm also starting to fertilize my plants with my egg wastes. I'm waiting for my plants to tell me how they feel!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think everyone has their own method...I just use my hands. :)
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

I used to move the yolk from one shell-half to the other... now, as Oscar does, I use my fingers. Much more efficient and effective... :-)
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I used to move the yolk from one shell-half to the other... now, as Oscar does, I use my fingers. Much more efficient and effective...
I'm not very manual, but why is easier by hand? How do you get rid of the egg white?
huntress

Post by huntress »

Chin-Chin,
It takes time to get used to seperating the yolks from the whites. Like Oscar and CG, I use my fingers too.

What I do, is I crack right at the apex of the egg shell with my spoon or something hard, then gently peel the cracked portion away to give a small 'tunnel' for the yolk to slip out of the shell and into my palm, that way, my fingers works as a sieve to drain the whites away and keep the yolks intact. Then, I gently curl my fingers to form a gentle fist and sqweeze the yolk sac until it pops and then I drain the contents through the opening between my thumb and my forefinger into my tiny bowl (I find that through this way, I am able to drain the yolks COMPLETELY from the sac)

Practice, practice, practice! I've been doing this for a year and a half, I could practically call myself a master egg yolk seperator. :twisted:

And after doing it for one year and a half now, I can even toss the egg yolk 5 feet up in the air and catch in back in my palm with the content still intact in the sac....nah.....Just kidding! :P
speuzer

Post by speuzer »

I think I've got a method (yolk/white seperation) for people who really don't want to ingest any of the white. Its probably not a big deal to eat some it just makes me feel good to know that only the yolk made it into my mouth.

So for those of you who feel the same try this.

Start using your hands as a strainer for the white. When most of the white is off, cup your hand a bit and turn on your sink. If you let the water pool up in your hand a while it is running the yolk spins and swirls around in your hand completely cleaning off the egg white. Don't let water hit the yolk directly though, sometimes this breaks it.

If the eggs are fresh enough, this works everytime. The best part is that the yolk sac becomes more dry than slimy so that you can hold on to it with your fingers with out it slipping out.

This is a little less waistful than the papertowel method.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Interesting method. :)
nick

Post by nick »

I agree.
I'll try that one out!