Eggs; how to separate the yolk/white

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Ducky
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Ducky »

Does that really work?
No i guess it doesnt, or its not that efficient. :?

What i did today is i strained it through a very fine filter.
It worked alright.
Thats how im gonna do it, i think.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

This post was moved from another thread:
t00smitty wrote:This might be a dumb question but...

How do you get the egg yoke only out of the egg?
I crack the egg, into a bowl for example...then what? I get a spoon and scoop it out? Then the yoke will probably spill in different directions then I have a bowl of yoke and the rest of the egg.
I'm only supposed to eat the yoke correct? How do you guys just get the yoke out?

Also, I took Wai's advice on eating raw egg yolk for the first time. It says just to have a teaspoon of yoke for the first 3 days. Well I grabbed a teaspoon from the drawer, and scooped out a teaspoons worth from the yoke and ate it. About 45 minutes later my stomach was rumbing and making all these noises and then a few hours later I got a little sick. I only had an apple and water with it. My throat was sore and my nose felt like it was runny but it overall felt like a very tiny cold. Today my throat feels a little sore still but it's almost like I'm at the end of a cold.

Should I not eat another yoke today? Was that yoke most likely bad? I'm also going from a very 'American' diet to this. So I know my body isn't built to handle this yet. Any advice would be great!! Thanks!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

This post was moved from another thread:
snowbunny wrote:You might want to eat just a half of a teaspoon next time. Make sure you use an actual measuring teaspoon, too. I would advise you to eat the freshest eggs possible, organic, if you can, as they do taste better. There is a section in the writings on how to test and check the freshness of your eggs.

To get the yolk, you must separate it from the white first: after you have cracked the egg open, gently drain the white while carefully sliding the yolk between the two shell halves and letting the white run out; next, gently place the yolk from the shell half onto a paper towel, and carefully wipe off or roll the yolk to take off the excess white; now the sack is slightly sticky, and you should be able to hold it in your hand; hold the yolk with your fingers and thumb, with a knife make a small incision in the sack, and drain the yolk from its sack; discard the sack.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Strange, first time I had an egg raw I just downed the whole thing with the white. It mad me gag pretty bad but I didn't get sick; I didn't really worry about what to eat before/after either, although I can't remember what I did/ate afterward. It wasn't a quality egg either, just a cheapy.

Anyways, what I do now is crack the egg against the sick, and poor it into my other hand, letting the whites trickle through my fingers down the drain. Than I suck the yolk out of the bag and either compost the bag or let it rinse down the sink. My mom thinks it's disgusting and is worried that the neighbors might be watching me, haha. :P

I think this is a good method because you can feel if the whites are viscous, and if you want to put the yolk into something just squeeze it over whatever you want to put them on.

Or if you're just starting out maybe you could start with a little suck, than increase your suck until you get a whole yolk.

I wonder if this is what our ancestors might have done? :wink:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:first time I had an egg raw I just downed the whole thing with the white. It mad me gag pretty bad but I didn't get sick
It will not make you sick.
Ingesting the antinutrients just has its disadvantages.
letting the whites trickle through my fingers down the drain. ... either compost the bag or let it rinse down the sink.
You better collect the white and the bag to rinse them down the toilet,
as the white (and the bag) readily clog your drain eventually.
Just let the white dry up in a cup or something overnight,
and you will see how sticky / persistent that stuff is;
its like glue.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Thanks RRM, I just found out actually we have a drainage problem :oops:

Just a thought, would the whites make a good plant fertilizer?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

oops :(
Sure, just not inside your house, because that will attract bugs.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I was reading up on how the eggs were packaged to be sold in the supermarkets.

http://www.goldeneggs.com.au/farm_candling.asp

Take a look on the right hand side at the picture of the eggs over a candle.
During candling each egg rotates over a strong light source which enables the operator to see inside the egg and look for any internal defects as well as shell defects.
I am concerned, as to whether the heat generated by the candles will 'cook' the egg?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmmm, it might. Of course it depends on temperature and duration.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The eggs in supermarkets are truly 100% raw.
If there was a slight influence of 'cooking', the egg white would clearly show.
(egg white readily denaturates, which changes the color from transparent to white)
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

After taking out the sack, do I swallow the whole yolk straight away? Is chewing on the yolk permitted?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

After obtaining the sack, you should drain the liquid yolk from the sack,
and discard the sack.
The liquid inside the sack is just liquid; there is nothing to chew on.
Here are a few methods described in this thread:
huntress wrote: What I do, is I crack right at the apex of the egg shell with my spoon or something hard, then gently peel the cracked portion away to give a small 'tunnel' for the yolk to slip out of the shell and into my palm, that way, my fingers works as a sieve to drain the whites away and keep the yolks intact. Then, I gently curl my fingers to form a gentle fist and sqweeze the yolk sac until it pops and then I drain the contents through the opening between my thumb and my forefinger into my tiny bowl (I find that through this way, I am able to drain the yolks COMPLETELY from the sac)
speuzer wrote: Start using your hands as a strainer for the white. When most of the white is off, cup your hand a bit and turn on your sink. If you let the water pool up in your hand a while it is running the yolk spins and swirls around in your hand completely cleaning off the egg white. Don't let water hit the yolk directly though, sometimes this breaks it.

If the eggs are fresh enough, this works everytime. The best part is that the yolk sac becomes more dry than slimy so that you can hold on to it with your fingers with out it slipping out.
Ducky wrote: after cleaning the yolks from the whites with any of your preferred methods
written above,
just put them all in a glass and - before adding anything to it -
stir them until all the sacs stick together.
Then just scoop them out.
snowbunny wrote: To get the yolk, you must separate it from the white first: after you have cracked the egg open, gently drain the white while carefully sliding the yolk between the two shell halves and letting the white run out; next, gently place the yolk from the shell half onto a paper towel, and carefully wipe off or roll the yolk to take off the excess white; now the sack is slightly sticky, and you should be able to hold it in your hand; hold the yolk with your fingers and thumb, with a knife make a small incision in the sack, and drain the yolk from its sack; discard the sack.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

The liquid inside the sack is just liquid; there is nothing to chew on.
What I do is that once I drain the egg white out, I will pinch the egg bag with my finger and thumb instead of using a knife. Is it okay to do that?

So, because I pinch the egg bag, I find myself chewing on the yolk to make sure there are no remainders of the egg bag. Does chewing or swirling the yolk do any damage to the yolk?

Also, is it possible to remove the egg white completely? No matter what, I find that there's always some egg white sticking to the egg bag.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It's fine.
It might be possible to remove all the white, but I don't know how. It's not that important anyway, IMO.
Iris

Post by Iris »

I do remove all the white I can see, because I really dislike the taste of it (it's revolting to me, even a little bit). It does take some time though... What I do, is break the shell, pour the whole egg in an egg separator (or when I'm not at home, just separate the yolk from the white using the egg shell). Then, with a knife (or with a sharp edge of the shell) I remove the white that hangs out the openings of the separator and cut off the Chalaza (the whitish "strings" on both sides of an yolk). Then roll the yolk on my hand and roll it on my other hand (and clean your free hand), back to the clean/dry hand and so forth until the yolkbag is dry :)
It takes me 5-10 minutes for 8-14 yolks, so it seems more time consuming than it actually is.