Eggs; how to separate the yolk/white

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Iris
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Eating egg yolk bag?

Post by Iris »

dandate2 wrote:what is the most efficient way to remove the yolk from the bag? i tried putting the yolk in my hand, making a cut, and squeezing it into a cup but i seem to lose a helluva lot of yolk being stuck to my palm.
Then hold the yolk (thus with bag) on you fingertips (if necessary hold it in place by using your thumb, but if you removed all egg white properly there will be no need to), then make a smal incision, and with your fingers carefully push the yellow liquid from the sack :) There is next to no waste at all when you do it like this (depends on how fresh the egg was)
dandate2

Post by dandate2 »

doesnt running water break the bag?
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

dandate2 wrote:doesnt running water break the bag?
Not if it is a gentle stream and you hold the yolk close to the tap so less force is generated due to the weight of water. The further from the tap you hold the yolk the greater the force of the water hitting the yolk because of acceleration due to gravity. I tended to rest the yolk in the bowl and then pierce it. There is an attractive force between the bowl and the yolk (surface tension) that leads to a more complete emptying of the bag.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
dandate2

Re: Eggs; how to separate the yolk/white

Post by dandate2 »

bro i imagine the water coming out your faucet is by far dirtier than any residue of white you might accumulate
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

It's not getting into the egg bag when you rinse it. And since fat is hydrophobic any residual water in the bowl of yolks can be skimmed off the top, bro.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exactly, and if you can safely drink the water, a few drops of water will be ok anyway, bro.
The white is not to be removed because its 'dirty', but because when you consume raw egg white regularly,
this eventually likely causes an aversion against consuming raw egg yolk (as associated to the white),
which may be due to the slimy texture and the anti-nutrients it contains.
dandate2

Post by dandate2 »

so why wash the yolk with water? if i toss it between the shells and cut a hole in the bag am i even drinking any whites at all?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

If you let the white slip away, and then drain the yolk properly, you will be perfectly fine, indeed.
fred

Post by fred »

RRM wrote:Exactly, and if you can safely drink the water, a few drops of water will be ok anyway, bro.
The white is not to be removed because its 'dirty', but because when you consume raw egg white regularly,
this eventually likely causes an aversion against consuming raw egg yolk (as associated to the white),
which may be due to the slimy texture and the anti-nutrients it contains.
And if I prefer to eat the white with the yolk (no aversion), is it fine to eat the entire egg ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, because it robs you from the biotin.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Hi RRM, I'm just wondering if it's okay to eat the egg yolk with the membrane sac and some of the egg white (the really sticky 'tadpole' type part) because if I try to remove that, the yolk contents itself is far too sticky for anything I've used. about 5% of the yolk contents remains in the sac (can't squeeze it all out anyway) and about 10% remains in the cup that I drain the yolk contents into, so I lose at least 15% of the yolk just by doing this process which takes a long time and half the time results in failure (the yolk spilling through my hands), and even when I manage not to have that happen, sometimes egg white runs into the cup, leftover from the surface of the sac, so it's almost pointless :(

Basically, how 'bad' is the membrane sac to eat with the yolks and the very little bit of egg white on it? Will I have biotin deficiency?
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

If you 'wash' the yolk under running water first it will be easier to get all the yolk out afterwards.. it is weird but it works.
panacea

Post by panacea »

I tried that, it works 1 out of 3 times, the other 2 times the yolk will break under the water even if it's painfully slow. If i don't let the water touch the yolk some the white is so sticky it just sticks on forever and it would take hours to wait for it to fall off, so unfortunately either the eggs here are slightly tougher in this way (less fresh maybe) or I'm bad at it. I've wasted about 4 dozen eggs trying to learn to do just that.. I really just need to know if it's really bad to eat the membrane/some egg white with the yolk

It might be worth it if someone finds some kind of cup/container material that is so slick none of the egg yolk stays left behind. Definitely doesn't work with the plastic or glass cups I have. I wonder if a stainless steel cup sprayed with non-stick spray might work lol
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

weird, my yolk never breaks in water.. sometimes it breaks straight after opening shell.. but I find that if you have kept the eggs cold, then the bag seems more prone to break before time.
What I understand the bag just contains antinutrients and stuff that will put you off yolks, cuz they will disgust you, since they antinutrients - or the like.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Well I just swallow the whole bag whole, I don't even taste it I just feel the consistency go down my throat. But if I try and drink yolk-contents without the bag it disgusts me as it sticks all over my mouth, can't get it off of my tongue or my teeth and it's all over my hands and everything, lol.