Eggs; how to separate the yolk/white

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Kookaburra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Kookaburra »

Just to make sure I understand what I am reading, stirring the egg yolk does destroy part of the protein molecules?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Well, not gently stirring, but yes, beating does.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

When protein molecules get destroyed, do they originate new substances like HCA?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Destroying molecules means altering;
When you change just one bond of a molecule, its not the same anymore;
hence it is destroyed: that methionine molecule (for example) is no longer methionine,
but some different kind of amine / acid.
And when there is a lot of altering going on, the chances are bigger that there will be HCA formed as well.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

What does a pocket of air bubbles over the egg yolk mean? I noticed that on one of the egg yolks yesterday. The air bubbles disappeared after I gently blow on them. Does it mean it is not fresh?

Also, sometimes the chalazae(or string) comes out easily together with the egg white. Sometimes, it does not. What does it mean in terms of freshness?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote:What does a pocket of air bubbles over the egg yolk mean?
Nothing.
Regarding freshness, the yolk just needs to be firm.
Also, sometimes the chalazae(or string) comes out easily together with the egg white. Sometimes, it does not. What does it mean in terms of freshness?
Nothing.
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

Hello old thread!
I spent some time at my sisters place in the countryside, they have free range chicken (hen) and their egg are delicious, creamy, dark yellow, mmmmm... I have this method now: open the egg, let the egg white slide into a cup (I save it for shower and hairwash), gently wash the egg yolk with water (under gently running water or dip in a bowl of water), then bite a small hole and suck the yolk in my mouth, then I throw the sack in the garbage alon with the egg shell. Minimal mess, compared to how I started out with paper towels and pouring the yolk onto a plate and so on. 8)
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

Oh boy, those fresh eggs, still warm, the white was like gel, stuck to the shell... and the yolk, whoa! Very rich... And the hen and rooster are walking around freely in the garden, so cute and funny.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Eggs; how to separate the yolk/white

Post by RRM »

From a different thread:
djkvan wrote: To aid in separating the white from the yolk I run tap water over the yolks. Is this okay to do or should I just dry-separate the eggs?
Oscar wrote:I'm sure it's fine.
omahadon

Re: Eggs; how to separate the yolk/white

Post by omahadon »

This method for adding yolk to juice.
After rinsing whites from the yolk very well & pulling off the chalaza I pinch the yolk with one hand holding it suspended, and allow the other hand to drip dry a little. This allows for a good grip on the yolk with the non pinching hand. I then grab the yolk and pull the pinched area off of the yolk. I then squeeze the yolk into a cup with juice and discard the sack with very little yolk waste. Just to note, I have been adding this to an oj rasperry juice mix 50/50 with olive oil, and with a few shakes I have a very fine beverage indeed.
Cheers
dandate2

egg yolk bag?

Post by dandate2 »

what is the most efficient way to remove the yolk from the bag? i tried putting the yolk in my hand, making a cut, and squeezing it into a cup but i seem to lose a helluva lot of yolk being stuck to my palm.
dime

Re: Eating egg yolk bag?

Post by dime »

Search the board ;) I wash it under running water and then split it with both hands, ending with just the sack between the fingers.
dandate2

Post by dandate2 »

u wash the yolk under running water? thats disgusting
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

After rinsing the white off, gently grasp the yolk bag between the thumb and index or middle finger. Holding the suspended yolk over a small bowl pierce it from below at an angle with a sharp-tipped knife. If it is a store bought egg (organic or not) you must be extremely gentle to succeed in performing this technique as the bag is very fragile and the yolk will be runny and fall quickly into the bowl (sometimes before you can get it there). If the egg is truly from a pasture-raised chicken, the yolk bag will be stronger and the yolk will ooze out slowly so less care is generally needed in executing the above technique.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
dandate2

Post by dandate2 »

you mean you actually rinse the white off of the yolk bag with water???