zalmforel / steelhead trout scare

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
claireelis
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

zalmforel / steelhead trout scare

Post by claireelis »

I'm not sure of the english name - i think steelhead trout , but I was wondering if its ok to eat this zalmforel (a scottish kind bought from Albert Heijn). I bought it accidently instead of salmon (looks the same) and i took two bites before i realized the difference. it tasted delicious (more fatty than salmon) but i'm really scared of getting parasites (just recovering from two severe infections)! how big a risk have i taken?
i'm pretty sure my immune system has not built up much yet as i still get the runs from a teaspoon raw egg yolk, but raw fish has gone well lately as far as i can tell.
any advice? i'm putting it back in the fridge now, or should i go ahead and toss it?
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

well i ended up getting sick to my stomach so not much of it stayed down - probably too fatty. but i am still curious of whether any one else eats steelhead trout (the pink kind).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I've never eaten it so far, but I guess it should be ok.
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

ok. well i thought it wouldn't be becuase its freshwater, but maybe in farmed raised fish that's not such a problem. thanks for the reply :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

"Market names" for steelhead trout:
Seachoice.org wrote:Coastal rainbow trout, Kamloops trout, Redband trout, Columbia River redband trout, Eagle Lake trout, Kern River trout, Shasta trout, Sacramento redband trout, Kamchatkan trout, Rainbow trout (FDA approved), Steelhead trout (FDA approved)
There seem to be also saltwater forms.

Steelhead trout seem to be among the fish most susceptible to the Myxobolus cerebralis parasite and also relatively susceptible to the glochidia of the freshwater mussel Margaritifera margaritifera. The parasitic copepod Salmincola carpionis seems to be rare in steelhead trout.
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

I couldn't find info on human infections of Margaritifera margaritifera, but humans apparently aren't susceptible to Myxobolus cerebralis. Salmincola carpionis is apparently only present in parts of the fish we don't eat (e.g. mouth, fins). So I think not much to worry about - for future reference for others.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thanks for clearing that up.
Iris

Re: zalmforel / steelhead trout scare

Post by Iris »

I bought some stealhead trout today because it looked sooooo fat! Omg, it was like heaven :o Better than the salmon I've had recently. Definitively a keeper, for special occasions though; it isn't cheap.... For the dutchies amongst us, for the record, I bought it at AH ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Good idea!
Frozen or fresh?
Iris

Post by Iris »

"Fresh" (with some preservatives ofcourse)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Trout may contain parasites, so that frozen would be safer.