raw egg yolks = runny nose (!), and other sashimi matters...

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
MrBBQ
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

raw egg yolks = runny nose (!), and other sashimi matters...

Post by MrBBQ »

Hey all,

May I introduce myself as a medium-term peruser and first time poster - I'm glad to be a contributor to this great resource (thanks!).

Well, I've been dabbling with thermodynamically-neutral food preparation methods for nigh on a year and I've recently stumbled upon wai in my meanderings around raw egg yolk consumption and the like.

I don't suffer from acne, but I believe that my skin could enjoy some improvement, amongst many other health aspects.

Well, there're certainly some "facts" presented here that fly in the face of the raw vegan, raw paleo etc. communities and as someone that's always of changeable mindset, my interest is peaked.

No blending, no juicing by mastication...Isn't that just what thorough chewing of wholefoods (mouth mastication) achieves?!

I became interested in nutrition and raw food preparation due to the potential for rejuvenation, including tooth enamel "healing" and recovery from other degenerative manifestations (albeit with a realistic outlook).

Anyway, that's enough of that...

I've begun increasing my raw egg yolk eating/drinking to 3 at a time (starting with a teaspoon per day and then multiples), which is definitely precipitating a runny (streaming actually!) nose...I understand from a quick nosey via Google that eggs are allergenic and as such can induce this symptom (as it says, within minutes)...

Ultimately, does this mean that I have to be more gradual in my approach to increasing my "in one sitting" servings, or should I start at the beginning with a teaspoon again and just end up wasting loads of yolks 'til I find some kind of tolerance.

Alternatively, does this spell the end of my raw egg yolk honeymoon? Obviously, I could just keep my dosages to a mimumum, but would it be counter-healthful to keep prodding my minor egg allergy in this way? I'm assuming that if I proceeded with the same dosage (for any period) that the runny nose would not subside...

Also, I'm about to begin searching for an appropriate fish monger for my sashimi attempts. I don't really trust myself to thoroughly inspect for parasites and I'll be opting for organically farmed, if I can. Does anyone know what kind of fish monger has the mindset for "sashimi consciousness"? I imagine that it's quite unusual (especially here in the UK, England) for people to request sashimi-grade fish, unless they appear to be of japanese culture.

Does everyone keep buying 50-100g fish every other day (for freshness), or do you buy enough for a week and store it somehow? If my fish monger is at the other side of town, I could not afford the time/fuel to make these constant visits.

Incidentally, is anyone on here from the UK (in South Yorkshire even)?

Thanks for tuning in!

All the best...

Sayonara! :D
MrBBQ
There is no pot boiling in nature...
fictor

Re: raw egg yolks = runny nose (!), and other sashimi matter

Post by fictor »

First of all, Hi, and welcome to the forum!
MrBBQ wrote: No blending, no juicing by mastication...Isn't that just what thorough chewing of wholefoods (mouth mastication) achieves?!
When blending, the high speed rotating blades causes molecular heating.
This does not happen when chewing. Does this answer your question?
(I am not completely sure I understood it 100% :) )
MrBBQ wrote: I became interested in nutrition and raw food preparation due to the potential for rejuvenation, including tooth enamel "healing" and recovery from other degenerative manifestations (albeit with a realistic outlook).
If you are interested in healing your teeth, you must keep in
mind that constant eating of acidic fruits are rather hard on the teeth.
Ever since starting the Wai diet (one year ago) my teeth has gone
extremely sensitive, and I am constantly trying to figure out ways
to take better care of them, to counteract the acid effect of this diet.
At the moment, my teeth are actually a bigger health concern than
my subsiding acne.
MrBBQ wrote: Ultimately, does this mean that I have to be more gradual in my approach to increasing my "in one sitting" servings, or should I start at the beginning with a teaspoon again and just end up wasting loads of yolks 'til I find some kind of tolerance.

Alternatively, does this spell the end of my raw egg yolk honeymoon?
If this actually is an allergic reaction, I think it is unwise to eat
eggyolk at all. Try to eat sashimi instead for a while, and then go back to eggs and try it too see if you get the same effect.

Stopping eggs and reintroducing them slowly again will not help if it is an
allergic reaction.
MrBBQ wrote: Also, I'm about to begin searching for an appropriate fish monger for my sashimi attempts. I don't really trust myself to thoroughly inspect for parasites and I'll be opting for organically farmed, if I can. Does anyone know what kind of fish monger has the mindset for "sashimi consciousness"? I imagine that it's quite unusual (especially here in the UK, England) for people to request sashimi-grade fish, unless they appear to be of japanese culture.

Does everyone keep buying 50-100g fish every other day (for freshness), or do you buy enough for a week and store it somehow? If my fish monger is at the other side of town, I could not afford the time/fuel to make these constant visits.
Try a sushibar the first time, that is my best tip. Last time I was in the UK,
namely London, I had lots of good quality sashimi.

After you figure out what type of fish you like, simply go to the
supermarket and ask for sashimi /sushi quality.

If you are afraid of eating parasites, deep freeze the fish for 2 days,
if it has not yet been deep frozen.

Good luck! :)

fictor
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Welcome :)

Regarding the eggs, there are more possibilities:
- the eggs aren't fresh enough
- your body isn't used to the bacteria yet

(since you're not from the US I'm assuming the eggs aren't pasteurized)