Ate a raw egg that was out of fridge for 3 hours

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
sabie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Ate a raw egg that was out of fridge for 3 hours

Post by sabie »

I guess my first day back at work is distracting me. I'm going to have to figure out how to do this, I brought my eggs to work but then only ate one first thing and then ate the other (mixed in with some fruit) a few hours later forgetting how long it had been. Now I am edgy, thinking I might get an upset tummy or worse. I wish I could eat the eggs at home but I ride my bike to work so that's a no no. Has anyone else eaten eggs that have been out for several hours? This was an organic egg (if it matters).
Also, rather than cutting up my fruit in the morning and making salads to bring I am bringing everything whole and cutting up at work but that is a hassle. Is it really so bad to cut fruits and then eat throughout the day? Do they lose so much of their value? Not worth peeling and cutting up if they do.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I buy eggs for one week (so for me 21-28 eggs) and leave them out of the fridge until I eat them. So no worries there I should think, IF the egg was still fresh to begin with.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Sabie, my situation is much the same as yours.

I cycle to the train station each morning (approximately 15 minutes, dependent on traffic), then stand idly - reading whilst riding the train, arriving at my destination approximately 30 minutes later, before walking a further ten minutes to the office.

This is the most activity I recieve all day, until returning home in the evening and the process is reversed. Therefore, I believe it is beneficial to eat two egg yolks shortly after arriving at the office, as I shall be sitting from then onward. Likewise, I intend to consume two further eggs (perhaps too many everyday?) upon cycling home in the evening.

Today I packaged my eggs in a small container placed inside my bag, however concerned that the eggs may break in future, popped-out to purchase a box of six this afternoon, placing them in the staff refridgerator.

Echoing Oscar's sentiments, I would not worry that the eggs were left out of the fridge - indeed, I gather most supermarkets do no refridgerate their eggs - any queesiness you may be experiencing is probably nothing more than a little self-doubt! ;)

Moreover I too share your concerns for cutting-up fruit at work; it's quite time consuming, and no doubt rather amusing for the rest of the employees here - today I even brought a vegetable slicer to the office to prepare my cucumbers!

However, the greatest problem I find, being vegetarian and following such raw diets is locating suficient, inexpensive fruit. Today I chatted briefly to a member of staff at the nearby greengrocer, trying to convince her not to throw away the old fruit but instead make it available at a reduced price...fingers crossed!

Take care,
James
x
sabie

Post by sabie »

did you ever get your reduced $ fruit James? I am learning that fruit buying and eating is indeed a complicated business when you are new at it. I've always had problems with certain foods but all this fruit! I'm becoming convinced I am allergic to papaya. Was really ill, weak and felt likeI couldn't breath properly for two days after I ate one on Friday. I actually don't like them and I think that is supposed to be a sign I ignored. I don't even like the smell of the "real" dried papaya. Although, I was having that weak feeling before, just not as bad. Then there is the quality of fruit. I have thrown out quite a bit from over buying and the fruit being lousy. Now I have to pay attention to which oranges I use to juice, how they taste and my reaction. I think I'm spending quite a bit of money but the idea that I have to track what I'm spending on fruit (msotly oranges right now) gives me a headache. I'm realizing that some of my "not feeling well" may have to do with eating under ripened fruit. I wonder if this also causes me to break out? Each person can probably tolerate slightly different stages so you have to figure it out for yourself? Drats! :) How much are oranges in Japan and where are they from?
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Papaya? Well, I take it or leave it really - if I manage to find some ripe papayas that have been reduced in price, of course I will snap them up, however I would much prefer mango or another 'exotic' fruit.

Regarding the price of oranges in Japan, well this of course largely depends on where you are living and similarly where you are shopping. Here in Tokyo the large department stores have food isles on the bottom floor, often with an area for fresh produce. However, this tends to be the extremely expensive, almost 'too good to be true' fruit that is carefully wrapped, and packaged in presentation boxes for gifts!

Okay, perhaps I am exaggerating a little. Fortunately, there are the smaller independent/family-run greengrocer stores, catering for those who are more interested in the food itself, not the prettiness of its packaging. I usually picked-up my fruits from such places, chatting to the salesperson/owner to ask if they have anything that would otherwise be thrown away.

Anyway, to return to oranges, during this time of year mikan (clementines, small oranges) are in season and range in price from around 200JPY-600JPY or so for a half a dozen. Larger oranges (often imported from the US - along with a picture of the rugged, macho farmer that grew the produce) can be bought for a similar price, again largely depending on which store you go to, the day of the week, the time of the day.

Generally, Japanese people do not appear to consume a great deal of fruit. Most of the natives I know here seldom eat one piece of fruit each day, let alone the 'five a day' recommendation!

So yes, buying fruit really is something of an artform, however it can prove rewarding when you stumble upon a bargain!

Take care,
James
x
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

My eggs are never in the fridge, they're always out (is that bad?)
I've never had food poisoning from raw eggs.

My mum never keeps hers in the fridge either. She's been eating 2 raw eggs per day mixed in pasteurised cows milk, as part of a standard diet including cooked meat/chocolate/all the nasties, for the past 30 years and has never had food poisoning. Even in the late 80s throughout the huge salmonella scare in Britain, when most people were too scared to eat cooked eggs for fear of salmonella.

I used to eat 2 cooked eggs per day with no trouble, but then I was struck down with M.E. (chronic fatigue syndrome), and once I had that, because my immune system was so weak, every single time I ate cooked eggs they gave me food poisoning, not salmonella but one of those 24 hour ones where you're sweating, and writhing in agony, and throwing up for 24 hours, quite horrific. Every single time.
Then I discovered, if I ate eggs raw, I didn't get food poisoning! I thought I might be cured of the egg-curse so I tried cooked eggs again and.....food poisoning.

So I think all the hype about raw eggs and food poisoning is nonsense.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Cairidh wrote:My eggs are never in the fridge, they're always out (is that bad?)
Its perfectly okay.

So I think all the hype about raw eggs and food poisoning is nonsense.
Actually, its the small amounts of salmonella in raw egg yolks that protects you against food poisoning caused by greater amounts of salmonella; simply because the small amounts of salmonella will increase strength of your defense; the principle of vaccination.
Its the 'safe' sterile foods that make you very susceptible to food poisoning.
If you want a strong defense, you need to expose it to a wide variety of bacteria and virusses regularly. And you need to ingest all the nutrients you need, make sure to always get sufficient sleep, and not to overexpose yourself to physical / psychological stress.