Goose eggs? Duck eggs?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Goose eggs? Duck eggs?

Post by Cairidh »

They are bigger than chicken eggs so obviously one duck egg is going to contain more nutrients than one chicken egg. However if you compare 100g chicken egg, to 100g duck egg, you find that duck egg contains higher levels of every nutrient including Vitamin A, and lutein (both essential for the eyes - you're always told to eat spinach for the lutein content but studies have shown lutein is much much better absorbed from eggs).
It also contains TWICE as much cholesterol. If the point of eggs in the Wai diet is to obtain cholesterol then shouldn't people eat duck eggs instead of chicken eggs??

I read somebody on here say a while ago, that they'd been looking at the nutrients in brain because man evolved eating lots of brain, so I went to http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/c ... ut_edit.pl
and looked up brain, and found that 100g beef brain contains 3000mg cholesterol. That's an awful lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Cavemen surely would have eaten more than 100g brain at a time???

Well there's only 420mg cholesterol in 100g chicken egg. So you'd have to eat 700g chicken egg to obtain that much cholesterol. (that's 14 eggs)

Whereas there's 880mg cholesterol in 100g duck egg. So you'd only have to eat 350g duck egg - and that's only 5 duck eggs!!

cholesterol in 100g beef brain = 14 chicken eggs or 5 duck eggs.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't think more is always better, and certainly not all in one go... ;)

But duck eggs should be fine, if that's your preference.
rischott

Duck eggs

Post by rischott »

so, i noticed that a women at the market was selling duck eggs. I asked her if they were organic and she said they were. I am in korea, so i am not sure what that means, but i figure the ducks are at least allowed to run around and are fed a healthey diet, as well as the fact that duck eggs are not that popular.
So, has anyone have experience with them?
My observations are that the shell is much harder. I have to knock the shell against the sink several times and still pull it apart once i do that. The white is so clear. It is almost like water. The white is quite thick though. once i get the white away from the yolk. The yolk itself is similar to egg yolks, yet a bit bigger and a tiny bit more stable. The smell and taste are also really different. Can't describe it, but i can say that the smell on my breathe is much stronger with the duck eggs.
-Rich-
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The downside of duck eggs is that they are more readily infested with salmonella. But of course, as long as you check them for freshness properly, thats no problem at all (otherwise you might get some diarrhea, naturally).
I didnt know that the effect on your breath is stronger. Interesting, because maybe thats because of more sulphur-containing amino acids (which would mean a higher protein quality)
Let me check that out (i never did that because souci et al only contains whole egg amino acid profile of duck eggs)
HEY thats interesting!!!
Whole duck eggs have a 66% protein quality versus the 53% of whole chicken eggs!
Thats substantially better (24%), so that the protein that you take is 24% more valuable regarding (re)construction purposes, and this is very probably also true for just duck egg yolks.

Thank you for bringing this up!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Certainly interesting. :)

Erm, don't you mean 13%, or am I missing something?
rischott

Post by rischott »

well, here is a short diary of my experience.
Thursday: noonish 3 eggs
night time 1 egg
No ill feelings
Friday: noonish 3 eggs
night time 3 eggs
No ill feelings
Saturday: Woke up with minor head ache and sore body. Had really intense strange dreams. Went out for a few hours and came home to sleep the rest of the day have intense dreams again, warm/hot body temp and dizzy head.
Sunday: Felt a tiny bit better than satuday, was finally able to eat, but I had diarrhea most of the day. And a gross feeling in my stomach.
Monday: Still dont' ahve my complete appetit back yet. Also still have diarrhea. Occasionly pain in my stomach.

So, i wonder, did i eat a bad egg? Did i consume way to many eggs to start off? I am scared to eat them again. I will resume eating chicken eggs tomorrow, but I dont' know if i should just throw the eggs away and never touch duck eggs again. what do yall think?
-Rich-
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:Erm, don't you mean 13%, or am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing something. :)
If the protein quality of chicken eggs is 53%, and then you start eating duck eggs instead (that have a protein quality of 66%), the quality of that protein ingested increases by (66-53)/53= 24%, in as much as when the profits of a store, measured in % of total sales, increase from 8% to 10%, profits have increased 25% ((10-8)/8).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

rischott wrote:i wonder, did i eat a bad egg?
Probably. The symptoms you mention do relate to a salmonella 'poisoning'.
I am scared to eat them again.
Of course you are, but you would not have experienced this if you had gradually increased the intake of duck yolks. Then your body would have had the time to get adjusted.
If you want, you can start experimenting after 2 weeks. This time start with just one teaspoon first for 3 days. Then 2 teaspoons for the next 3 days, and so on.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

RRM wrote:Yes, you are missing something. :)
Gotcha, you were talking about the percentual difference and not the difference in percentages.
Iris

Goose eggs??? Duck eggs?

Post by Iris »

What about them? Are the yolks ok to eat? And what about nutritions? Are they nutrition-wise comparable to chicken egg yolks, better or worse?

I'm asking because near to where I live is a house where they sell them sometimes. The man who lives there has a couple of gooses (is that the right word?) so they can be very fresh.....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Iris

Post by Iris »

Oscar wrote:The plural is geese. ;)
oops, silly me :oops:

right :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

All yolks are very nutritious, as its the intended environment for an "embryo", stuffed with everything that the embryo needs to develop.
Mrs. Shie

duck eggs

Post by Mrs. Shie »

RRM wrote:All yolks are very nutritious, as its the intended environment for an "embryo", stuffed with everything that the embryo needs to develop.
How about duck eggs? I bought some this week but so far a haven't dare to eat them until I ask you. My worry is not the nutrition, buy the safety. These are organic in the sense that they are from ducks roaming free. Now my husband says that what ducks eat is very different from chickens, mostly from animal origin, like snails, earthworms and what they find in the water.
My question:
Do you think it is OK to eat them raw?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The risk that the egg contains high levels of bacteria is substantially higher, as ducks (and geese) live in and close to the water. And also because there is no 'production line' that is being regularly checked on levels of bacteria.

On the other hand, you can train your defense regarding bacteria. If you want to try, you could start with eating just one DROP of egg yolk of one egg, each day for 3 days and then gradually increase the portions. And see what the results are. It costs you a whole lot of eggs, but then you know how much your body can cope with.
This way its not dangerous. (if you are already used to eating raw, that is!)