wait 3 hours after fish/eggs?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
dionysus
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by dionysus »

I asked because in p385 of the Waibook under the heading 'How to prevent cramps / gripes?' it states:

"Don't eat fruits or anything else containing sugars or fiber within three hours after having eaten sashimi, egg yolk, or other food containing much protein."

What are cramps/gripes exactly?

Thanks for your help Oscar. Sincerely appreciated. :)
Negativity is the cult of the weak
avalon

Post by avalon »

"Don't eat fruits or anything else containing sugars or fiber within three hours after having eaten sashimi, egg yolk, or other food containing much protein."
I have a question about this also and have a feeling it's been addressed but can't remember-

How would this apply to the mixing by fork slowly of yolk and banana, or mixing a yolk in a fruit smoothie? I understand the time taken for digestion after protein, but not quite the fruit/protein issue.

Thanx,
Avalon :D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

As far as I know the problem is only with fiber and protein, not with sugar per se. Of course if we disregard table sugar, the sugars we eat are contained in fruit, which contains fiber.

Fiber needs to be decomposed by bacteria, and if protein has to be digested at the same time, it will also be (partially) decomposed, which creates gasses and possibly cramps/gripes (gripe = a pinching spasmodic intestinal pain).

Sensitivity differs per person, so everyone has to experiment with the time needed after the consumption of protein. The three hours mentioned in the book are only if one does get cramps.
The same experimenting goes for combining egg yolks with fruit. I used to be able to combine yolks with avocado or banana, but nowadays I get gas if I do, so I either eat them on their own, or with fish.

Does this answer the questions?
dionysus wrote:Thanks for your help Oscar. Sincerely appreciated. :)
My pleasure. :)
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Perfect Oscar. Thankyou :)
Negativity is the cult of the weak
avalon

Post by avalon »

Yes, thanx!
gracie

Post by gracie »

About waiting 3 hours to consume fiber after protein...can I wait less/more time according to protein amount? So, if I eat only one yolk, do I still need to wait 3 hours? Compared to 10 yolk?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

3 Hours isn't needed. More like 1.5 hrs, even less when drinking sieved juices.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Ok, I thought it was good for digestion to wait 3 hours after protein to eat fiber (urgh! And I have no patience!), yet knew that I could drink juices 30 minutes later. 1.5 hours sounds much better...thanks
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I don't understand, I thought it was the protein that required rest-time to digest; some people here say fats and some proteins. And how come I never hear this mentioned with nut consumption?

What I usually do, btw, it have my sashimi, or yolk, at 9ish, than a yolk at 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, 11:30, to keep my energy up using egg yolks. Is this a good idea?

Sometimes I start at 8:00, and sometimes I don't get home 'till midnight.

Oh, and what about fruit-shakes. Would blending get rid of the fiber enough to make sipping them ok after protein/fat, like sipping OJ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I thought it was the protein that required rest-time to digest
Its more that fiber activates the digestive system in such a way
that it may cause bacterial decomposition of the protein (instead of enzymatic digestion).
And how come I never hear this mentioned with nut consumption?
Nuts are much harder to digest than animal protein (partly because of its fibers)
, so that it takes much longer and the protein is digested over a longer period of time.
So not much to impair.
What I usually do, btw, it have my sashimi, or yolk, at 9ish, than a yolk at 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, 11:30, to keep my energy up using egg yolks. Is this a good idea?
No, because then you are using yolk-protein for energy.
The idea is that you use sugars for energy,
and protein for (re)construction.
So, you better consume some juice to keep up your energy levels,
and then the yolks as an extra.
Oh, and what about fruit-shakes. Would blending get rid of the fiber enough to make sipping them ok after protein/fat, like sipping OJ?
No, not at all.
And blended shakes may cause acne.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I read that your digestion of animal food will be must faster if you don't eat fruit at the same time.

Fruits and sugar make your stomach basic, while proteins make your stomach acid. So, if you eat it at the same time, your stomach will be something in between, which slower down your digestion.

Is this correct ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

True; digestion is optimal when food are consumed separately.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

And how long does protein digestion take in general ?
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Ah, I should have clarified that I meant PM, not AM. I was thinking that because I started after 9ish (PM) that I would be using the protein for reconstruction anyway. Is this still a bad idea?

What would than be the best time to consume fish/eggs? Should I have a salmon and 4 yolks all at 11:00 if I go to bed at 12:00? or maybe have it all at 9:00 and have sugar again 'till 12:00? btw, during this time I'm usually just sitting at my computer, but I might go brush my teeth or do something non physical. Although sometimes I masturbate. Sorry if that's too much info but I figured it's relevant since it speeds your heart rate.

My half-hourly concept starting after 9 PM was more based on using the fats for energy, rather than the protein. Would having an avocado after be a good idea (I know avo/yolk is a sleep recipe but could be body nevertheless utilize the avo fat as every? or do I need sugar here?). I don't like to drink late at night because I end up having to wake up to pee. Also I'm avoiding juice in general because of the acid.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:And how long does protein digestion take in general ?
That depends.
On how much protein is consumed, how many anti nutrients are ingested as well (eg avidine and ovomucoid from egg white)
whether you are physically active and whether you consumed other nutrients as well (sugars, fats).