Nutritional Yeast

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
shanni82
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Nutritional Yeast

Post by shanni82 »

Would it be ok for me to consume nutritional yeast to get my B12? I

I prefer to eat vegan, but am willing to try raw protein. However I'm concerned because I have a what may be considered a compromised immune system and have already had bouts of parasites.

I am new to the diet. Have extremely bad cystic acne. For the past four days I have had fruit including cukes/tomatoes, brazil nuts (but not approved as they're shelled), olive and coconut oil, avocados and a little bit of dark vegan chocolate and nutritional yeast. I wont be 100% until sunday, yet my skin inflammation and open cysts are already reduced.
summerwave

B12

Post by summerwave »

There is something on a previous Wai board about B12 here:

http://www.acneboard.com/AcneQandA/Forum5/000100.html

and doubtless other places, if you search a bit.

It doesn't address nutritional yeast directly in the above.
shanni82

Post by shanni82 »

thanks for that link--it is very helpful and interesting. I guess though, I am curious if nutritional yeast in particular would potentially contribute to my acne as I want to do this 100%.
summerwave

yeast

Post by summerwave »

I am pretty sure it is processed at high temperatures which would damage its protein; it seems unlikely it would be okay. I am not sure where to source that on this site, but given everything else said about protein on this diet, it seems unsafe for this reason.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If you want to do it 100% then I'd advice to go for the raw protein.
shanni82

Post by shanni82 »

Oscar wrote:If you want to do it 100% then I'd advice to go for the raw protein.
thanks! i had my first tsp of egg yolk today. getting it out of the bag wasnt as hard as i'd expected.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

How did it taste?
shanni82

Post by shanni82 »

not bad. not amazing, either, but who knows. i put it over a mashed red banana and am thinking that it will be more interesting once i'm up to a full 1-2 yolks a day. i'll try it with avocado tomorrow.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good to hear. :)
Mashed banana with egg yolk and some coconut oil is something you might want to try out at some point.
shanni82

Post by shanni82 »

i use coconut oil on my skin. organic extra virgin coconut oil is easy to find at health food stores, but i've yet to come across one that clearly states cold pressed, the way olive or avocado oils do--should i keep looking?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I use Aman Prana, which only states extra virgin too. I think it should be fine to use it.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Aman Prana rocks! :)
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

my room mate would like to know what Wai says about nutritional yeast... in other words, is it bad for you in any way?

any anti-nutrients or toxins to be found??
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

That depends on how the yeast cells are killed, i guess.
Nutritional yeast is harvested, washed, dried and packaged,
but how is the yeast killed?
""Cream yeast" is heated by means of a heat exchanger and held at pasteurization temperatures for a period long enough to kill the yeast."
And commercial yeast extracts have salt added to invoke self-destruction of the yeast.
And to completely break down all the yeast, its heated.