Dried meat / fish? Dehydrator?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

Actually, when you have high quality beef, it tastes better the older it gets.
Really fresh meat doesnt taste nearly as good as beef that has ' matured'.
summerwave

dehydration

Post by summerwave »

Are there specific 'recipes' (amount dehydrated, at what temperature, and slice thickness) you could provide for both beef and salmon, RRM? (="Raw Rations Master"...)

Also, do you dehydrate tilapia?

Thank you; you know the tools and methods part like no one else.
RRM
Administrator

Re: dehydration

Post by RRM »

summerwave wrote:Are there specific 'recipes' (amount dehydrated, at what temperature, and slice thickness) you could provide for both beef and salmon, RRM?
If you make the slices too thin, they will stick to the tray too much. If you make the slices to big, the meat may go bad on the inside. I'd say 2 or 3 mm is perfect.
Temp?
The lower, the better; that just takes longer.
Also, do you dehydrate tilapia?
no, i just take it from the freezer, put it in the fridge, and wait half a day.
Then i eat it. Thats it.
Thank you; you know the tools and methods part like no one else.
Yes, like everybody does... :D

Recklessly Reintegrated Molecules
summerwave

drying

Post by summerwave »

Thank you; I will try that.

I did not know about freezing freshwater fish; I think the farmed salmon I purchase seems to sometimes be freshwater salmon (such as they use to stock some inland lakes in the US); I shall need to freeze that first, too.

Raw Reorchestration Maven! (old recipes, redone as raw)....
bbdave

Post by bbdave »

Ok, I've made a couple batches of beef jerk (~5 lbs total). I used a little salt to flavor it (I'm eating Wai for health reasons, so the salt will not give me acne). I used a temperature of 135 F for about 7 hours to dry ~3mm thick strips of beef.
It tastes great and I plan to be making a couple pounds of beef jerky every week. This way I can get enough protein throughout the day (I've been working out to gain weight, after losing too much in the first few months on the diet).
summerwave

dehydrating seafood

Post by summerwave »

Has anyone dehydrated

* shrimp/prawns?
or
* squid (cleaned, scored and cut into squares, as one might prepared it for blanching in cooked recipes)?

Chicken and beef are wonderful dehydrated; they seem fresh and unspoiled, just slightly dried; but when I have seen people eat dried cuttlefish, undoubtedly dried at too-high heat (it is similar to squid) in SE Asia and Japan, I was struck by how fishy and almost rotten it smelled. I would like to see if it can be dehydrated until just chewy, and preserved this way. I have dehydrated salmon before in the way RRM has discussed (just till about half-dry, at 104-125 degrees Fahrenheit)...

Perhaps I will just try, and see how it goes....
Iris

Post by Iris »

Regarding sea foods, I only dried salmon so far (for my dog when he was a puppy). And, although it becomes very crumbly, it tastes very good :)
summerwave

squid

Post by summerwave »

They're good....

(Once more, I have the strong impression I am the only person in America who eats what I do...)

I am literally repulsed by what others eat at this time, and by now, I now for sure the feeling is probably mutual.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

summerwave,
at what temperature do you dehydrate at? what kind of dehydrator do you use?
do you glaze the pieces of meat with something or just dry them plain?

i'd like to make a bunch of jerky to freeze and save in case of a famine or societal breakdown of some sort.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
summerwave

meat

Post by summerwave »

I searched the posts on here using the search engine and found a post by RRM on temperature; so now I am at about 104-124 degrees FAHRENHEIT (not Centigrade, as he uses), for chicken, raw beef, and also squid.

I cut it extremely thin; well, okay, not paper-thin.... I will have to measure to find out. Maybe 1/8"? (sorry it is not metric everyone out there)....

My dehydrator is in Fahrenheit but I prefer metric like the rest of the world.

After about 3 hours I have chewy pieces; sometimes I leave it on there for as little as 2.5 if I've sliced things very thin; up to 4 if I haven't.

Raw organic beef tenderloin is delicious this way (also prepared after taking a page from RRM's book, as it were....)
abicahsoul

Dehydrator?

Post by abicahsoul »

It is a bit off topic, but I have been looking for dehydrators... mmmh... excalibur looks real nice.. but costs quite some.. do you RRM or anybody else have a recommendation, what do you use as far as dehydrators go? :D
RRM
Administrator

Re: Dried meat / fish? Dehydrator?

Post by RRM »

You can use the cheapest dehydrator that you can find, and a thermometer.
If its too hot inside, you put something between the lid and the bottom
(or in between layers) to let more cold air in, to the extend that the temp is right.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Drying meat/fish at 60ºC-70ºC for 3 or 4 hours will kill some bacteria?
Will it create dirty protein?
overkees

Post by overkees »

Yes, protein starts to denaturate at 42 degrees celsius. But some of the denaturated protein is revertible at this temperature. So it can't be called raw anymore. Above 70 the proteins get rapidly denaturated and this will create alot of dirty protein. Do not go above 70 then I think the dirty protein content will be very limited.
dime

Post by dime »

If you salt it I think you could dry it at much lower heat.