Update - Frozen fish

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Update - Frozen fish

Post by Oscar »

Ah okay I missed that post.
It seems to me that temperature-wise it looks okay, at least when it's used to smoke the fish. What we don't know is how harmful the influence of the carbon monoxide is, and whether other harmful substances (aside from the carbon monoxide) are still present in the smoke, and if so, if they have any influence on the fish or not. The sentence "The Clearsmoke process is similar to grilling a steak at home." isn't reassuring. ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

exactly
gracie

Post by gracie »

Hi,
What about frozen egg yolk? I never thought I'd ask that, but I found a recipe for semifreddo (it has one big un-Wai ingredient: cream; the rest is simply honey and yolk). Will freezing damage the yolk's protein?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Just denaturation, no 'dirty protein'.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

hmmm.. I have been thinking about something.. sorry I'm in a posting mood, but I had a lot of questions building up...
some fish like alaska pollock is said to be bad cuz it has very high cholesterol levels.. now, alaska pollock is not a pretty fish, but I have no idea how it tastes raw.. but is high cholesterol in fish also beneficial just as it is in egg yolks? I remember the cholesterol in egg yolks was very clean, but I wonder how can you tell if the cholesterol in raw fish is good or bad?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Cholesterol only gets "bad" if you heat it. Healthy cholesterol then turns into unhealthy/unnatural oxysterols. Read more here: http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-cholesterol.html
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

how can you tell if the cholesterol in raw fish is good or bad?
The cholesterol in raw fish is always not damaged, and therefore good cholesterol,
and always beneficial.
abicahsoul

List of fish: the good, the bad and everything in between

Post by abicahsoul »

I tried my first frozen fish today. On the menue was frozen Chum Salmon that I bought at Lidl. It was very cheap so I thought it worth a try. Chum salmon is a fish from the Pacific and it seems to be of inferior quality. In my opinion it tasted pretty bad. Fishy in a bad way, without being old. ANd it was very low fat, I believe it said 1,2 grms fat per 100 grms fish. I tried to conceal the taste with some lemon and olive oil but the consistency was woody and generally unattractive. I don't recommend it, even if sadly I have understood that Chum has veeery good high omega-3 and low omega-6 ration, which I have understood is the ideal. But as I said, it seemed that the fish had virtually no fat, so I guess there can't be much Omega-3 anyway.. :(
The only thing that was good was the price.. I was standing with a pack of Alaska Pollock in my hand, but ruled against it.. It tastes bad when cooked, so I guess it would be bad raw too.
Iris

Re: List of fish: the good, the bad and everything in betwee

Post by Iris »

abicahsoul wrote:In my opinion it tasted pretty bad. Fishy in a bad way, without being old.
When you buy frozen salmon, you never know whether it is old or not, because you don't know how old it was when it was frozen, and usually also don't know how long it has been frozen.

When you want relatively cheap and very fresh salmon, I'd recommend buying it at a good fish market.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Some (high end) supermarkets sell frozen fish that taste very good. (AH in Holland, for example)
Just check out different fish in different stores.
Iris

Post by Iris »

True, but Lidl is not one of them :wink: Sure you can try different supermarkets, but when you'd buy it at a good fish market the fish is as fresh as can be, and not expensive at all (while fish in those good supermarkets, like AH, is often relatively expensive). I googled it..... Salmon filet from Lidl costs 13 euro/kg, that's more than what we pay for our VERY fresh salmon (we buy whole salmon, 7 euro/kg).
dandate2

Post by dandate2 »

frost damages fruits so why expect any different from fish? mankind...carve yourself a canoe out of a log and catch your own fresh fish!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its not a question whether there is damage (cell rupture) and a little loss of nutrients,
but whether that damage originates bad new substances (such as HCA).
colorles

Post by colorles »

suppose i 'love' frozen fish, just feels good to eat, almost morso in a different sort of way than 'fresh fish'. it just feels good to eat it near frozen