Why animal cholesterol?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
chris m failla
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Why animal cholesterol?

Post by chris m failla »

Dear Waisays, I have been pondering the question of why do we require another species cholesterol? I understand that we need cholesterol or that it may be essential, but do we need a chickens cholesterol to be healthy? I do enjoy yolks and fish, but I was just wondering. Also, does plant sterols like the ones found in fruits and veggies convert to cholesterol in our bodies? I did read somewhere on the waisite that plants do contain a trace amount of cholesterol. If so, with our own bodies producing cholesterol, and we eat sufficient fruits and easily digestible veggies, wouldn't we get enough cholesterol? How can a chickens cholesterol match our own we we eat it? Thank you, in advance.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Why animal cholesterol?

Post by RRM »

chris m failla wrote: why do we require another species cholesterol?
Cholesterol is kind of a super-vitamin;
it helps to keep you happy, sleep well and is required for building hormones
and vitamin D.
10 to 20% of the brain is composed of cholesterol.

Some vitamins are so abundantly present in our natural food (vitamin C and B12),
that our body (through evolution) lost the capacity to produce it (for efficiency reasons)
Similar to vitamins such as B3 and B8, the body is still able to produce cholesterol
because we need so much of it, and its not always certain that our food supplies us with sufficient cholesterol.

So, we need to obtain cholesterol from our diet, similar as we need to obtain vitamin B3 and B8.
The only sterol that we can use as cholesterol, is cholesterol present in animal food.
do we need a chickens cholesterol to be healthy?
We can obtain the required cholesterol from fish, chicken meat, beef etc,
or from egg yolks, which contain so much of it that I readily supplies us with sufficient cholesterol.
does plant sterols like the ones found in fruits and veggies convert to cholesterol in our bodies?
no.
I did read somewhere on the waisite that plants do contain a trace amount of cholesterol.
True, but these trace amounts are way too small to be of any significance.
If so, with our own bodies producing cholesterol, and we eat sufficient fruits and easily digestible veggies, wouldn't we get enough cholesterol?
To survive?
Maybe.
But it would lead to low cholesterol levels,
and when cholesterol level is low, you will get ill sooner,
and it is bad for the liver and the brain. You may get depressed and dont sleep well.
How can a chickens cholesterol match our own we we eat it?
Because its exactly the same molecule; chemically identical.
chris m failla

Post by chris m failla »

Cool. Thank you very much.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

RRM wrote: So, we need to obtain cholesterol from our diet, similar as we need to obtain vitamin B3 and B8.
RRM, I found this about cholesterol:
Although our bodies use cholesterol, we do not need any in our diet. The liver makes plenty for all our needs. If we add cholesterol by including animal products in our diet, cholesterol levels climb unnecessarily.
So it's not true?
Iris

Post by Iris »

the difference between oxidized and clean cholesterol is essential here. Read http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-cholesterol.html
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Because cholesterol is so important for us, we can make part of it ourselves, but we do need the rest from food.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote: Although our bodies use cholesterol, we do not need any in our diet.
If that would be true, nobody would have too low cholesterol levels, right?
Studies show that people with lower cholesterol tend to be more aggressive and depressed,
and that it can be bad for the liver and the brain.