Caged eggs

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Kookaburra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Caged eggs

Post by Kookaburra »

I know that the main priority is making sure the eggs are fresh, but don't you feel that the process in which caged eggs are produced is very inhumane?

There's a good site about that.
http://nocagedeggs.com/caged-eggs.htm

I wonder whether caged eggs have any nutritional value at all, even if fresh. I mean, the hens are basically enclosed with other hens in a tight cage. Shouldn't we boycott caged eggs? If there is no demand for caged eggs, their supply will dwindle too. Besides, how do you guys sleep at night knowing that you ate eggs that come from hens living in cruel conditions?
thefourth

Post by thefourth »

Very inhumane. I bet they do have less nutrient quality than cage free eggs, but they must have some. I recently got a carton of organic cage free eggs and the consistency of the yolk seemed so much better than what I was buying before even when they were less fresh. They cost less too! As long as they are availiable when I need eggs, I'm going with these ones from now on :D

I think it would be awesome to change the way the food industry runs currently (through boycot or whatever). More organic farming, more humane animal conditions, etc.

Unfortunately, most people often favor price over substance. But what's really ironic (here in the US at least) is that the main reason organic produce is more expensive is because the government subsidises inorganic farming when organic farming is more fruitful (pun intended) and sustainable! Grr lol
Iris

Post by Iris »

Over here this type of farming is forbidden :wink:

Sure I prefer organic eggs, but price often makes me buy different, unfortunately. We live close to an egg farm. The eggs we buy there used to be organic, but because this wasn't profitable, they switched to regular farming. They taste very different now. I can't even eat them, it's repulsing. I still use these for washing my hair, and for my dogs.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Caged eggs

Post by RRM »

From a different thread:
Oscar wrote:
djkvan wrote:I eat regular store bought eggs, is that a big deal? Should I really try to get free range organic?
If you can, yes. Apparently regular eggs can be pasteurized in the US, and we don't know the effect of feeding/food/antibiotics and living conditions. In any case organic eggs taste better. ;)