Eggs in morning or evening

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Kookaburra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Eggs in morning or evening

Post by Kookaburra »

RRM wrote: If constantly sufficient fat AND glucose is available, very little redundant protein will be converted into energy.
Kookaburra wrote:What if you eat an avocado? For every 100g, it contains 14.66g fat, 0.66g sugar and 2g protein. So, the protein will get converted to sugar right? What is the conversion ratio? Do all the 2g protein become 2g sugar? Lets say that it is. So 2 + 0.66 = 2.66g. The new ratio of sugar:fat is 2.66:14.66. How is that stabilized? I thought the ratio is 2:1? Clearly, by converting the protein to sugar, it does not make a difference at all.

It is the same for egg yolks. For every 100g, it contains 26.54g fat, 0.56g sugar and 15.86g protein. Even if all the 15.86g protein are converted to sugar, the new ratio of sugar:fat is (15.86 + 0.56 = 16.42) :26.54. How is that stabilized?
Oscar wrote:I think you're confusing a number of things.
The sugar:fat ratio is a (minimum) guideline when looking at a potential daily diet. It has nothing to do with the ratio of available sugars/fats in specific fruits.

The body has a list of priorities when looking at the available energy. Survival (being able to run away, search for food, etc) has a higher priority than maintenance/(re)construction. This means that if the body needs sugar energy and there's only protein energy available, it will use that for energy instead of maintenance/(re)construction.
Let me see if I am understanding this correctly. When I eat an avocado, its protein will be used for energy together with the fat right? How much energy does its protein provide? USDA says that for 100g of avocado, it provides 160kcal. Since its protein is used for energy, the actual energy an avocado provides is more than 160kcal right?

If there is not sufficient fat AND glucose available, protein will be used for energy right? In that case, it doesn't matter whether you eat egg yolks in the morning or evening because since egg yolks are mostly fat, all its protein will be used for energy right?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote: When I eat an avocado, its protein will be used for energy together with the fat right?
No, that totally depends.
If your blood amino acid levels are relatively low, the body will try to keep as much amino acids available for (re)construction purposes.
Also, if you consume sufficient glucose and fat, the enzymes converting protein into energy will be less active.
Since its protein is used for energy, the actual energy an avocado provides is more than 160kcal right?
In the USDA database, 1 Florida avocado (for example) contains 365 kcal,
which means that all potential energy-providing molecules have been included (including protein).
If there is not sufficient fat AND glucose available, protein will be used for energy right?
Yes.
In that case, it doesn't matter whether you eat egg yolks in the morning or evening because since egg yolks are mostly fat, all its protein will be used for energy right?
Yes, but not all, as the body will still try to have some of that protein available for repairing vital organs.
Mrs. Shie

Post by Mrs. Shie »

I read in another site that better not to eat proteins after 3:00 in the afternoon and not to mix them with any carbohydrates. So now I try to eat proteins completely separated from any other foods, ideally as breakfast only, because then I have to calculate 3 hours without eating any fruits, which makes already noon time.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Best practice is to eat one food at a time, rather it's egg yolks, or watermelon. Egg yolks are more taxing on the digestive system than fruits so it's better to eat them after you're done working and can relax at home, but not so late that you are going to sleep because digestion of these foods can degrade sleep quality.. but really, this is rather superficial, I would just do whatever is easiest so you don't stress about timeframes.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

My experience is that I sleep better after eating my yolks just before bed. I sleep like a log and wake up refreshed. :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yep, yolks are great sleeping pills... :-)