Storing JUST yolks / eating right away?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Tynan
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Storing JUST yolks / eating right away?

Post by Tynan »

I have a friend who has a chicken coop and she only eats the whites of the eggs. She has offered to save the yolks for me.

Is there a good way to do this, or should I just buy free range eggs from whole foods? I am a raw foodist and want to make sure I get my B12.

Tynan
http://www.betterthanyourboyfriend.com
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

May I ask, what is the benefit of eating just the whites? I am still a little curious about eating just the yolk and discarding the white - friends suggest that a large amount of the nutritional properties of the whole egg are being lost in this way.

I would appreciate any links to scientific journals which state the benefits of eating just the yolk (or white), or even the whole egg.

Thanks, take care,
James
x
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

As far as I know egg whites contain mostly protein (10%) and water. It does however inhibit (or deactivate) B8 and trypsin. Egg yolks have lots of nutrients, amongst others lots of B8. Since there is that much B8 in the yolks, I personally don't think there's any B8 problem with eating the whites as well. There might be a problem with trypsin, but I'm not sure about that.
avalon

Post by avalon »

I read somewhere that the yolks don't keep as long as the whites in the refrigerator...I think (not quoting) a day or two for yolks and 3 to 4 for whites.

probably better/safer to buy your own.

Avalon
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

True, and its the shell that protects the yolk against bacteria, while your fridge is filled with bacteria.
Ducky

Do you eat your yolks right away?

Post by Ducky »

I discovered that if i put them back in the fridge mixed with sugar and covered in a bowl, they taste better after.

Maybe the sugar is killing the bacteries?
Or the bacteries are transforming the yolks, like it's the case with other foods when bacteries making foods taste better? Just an idea. :)
RRM
Administrator

Re: Do you eat your yolks right away?

Post by RRM »

Ducky wrote:I discovered that if i put them back in the fridge mixed with sugar and covered in a bowl, they taste better after.
The sugar gets more thoroughly absorbed all over,
so that the sweetness is more 'smooth'.
Maybe the sugar is killing the bacteries?
No
Or the bacteries are transforming the yolks, like it's the case with other foods when bacteries making foods taste better? Just an idea. :)
No, thats different from putting something in the fridge.
Pontoonrider

Post by Pontoonrider »

So this is a good idea?
Im a lazy ass so I would rather yolk 3 or 4 days worth of eggs in one shot than do it every day. Does the sugar help naturally preserve them?

Also, I tend to do hut trips in the winter backcountry skiing, Can I put yolks in a plastic bottle to transport or would it have to be glass?

Would it be bad if the yolks got frozen? (regulating temperature over 24 hours in a cabin isnt easy). Can they be frozen and thawed safely?
panacea

Post by panacea »

not an expert on this topic - just giving my 2 cents
Does the sugar help naturally preserve them?
I think it's an insignificant amount if any - temperature and exposure to air seem the most damaging in that regard.
Can I put yolks in a plastic bottle to transport or would it have to be glass?
If you must do this the best way would probably be to gently stir it into a juice or something, and put it into a stainless steel vacuum sealed thermal bottle (they're the most efficient, get one that doesn't leak). put a few ice cubes in if its going to be really hot.

Plastic leeches, especially when subjected to heat, even 'safe' plastics do. You can see this for yourself by buying safe plastics and leaving in your car. the effect is probably negligible in cold climates though.
for safe plastics..

Would it be bad if the yolks got frozen? (regulating temperature over 24 hours in a cabin isnt easy). Can they be frozen and thawed safely?
it will damage them but it's better than them left to the outside temperatures for 24 hours, in my opinion. it's still a lot better to do this than indulge in munch food of course, most people here just like to be nazis about being optimal.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Pontoonrider wrote: Im a lazy ass so I would rather yolk 3 or 4 days worth of eggs in one shot than do it every day.
Just use fresh eggs.
Does the sugar help naturally preserve them?
No.
Also, I tend to do hut trips in the winter backcountry skiing, Can I put yolks in a plastic bottle to transport or would it have to be glass?
Only if you get it vacuumed.
Instead you better transport whole eggs.
You dont need to refridgerate or freeze whole eggs.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Quote:

Only if you get it vacuumed.
Instead you better transport whole eggs.
You dont need to refridgerate or freeze whole eggs.
What is it about egg yolks that make them spoil so fast once the shells are opened when compared to orange juice which can last for at least 24 hours before they turn bad?
Iris

Post by Iris »

The cholesterol oxidizes (when it is exposed to oxygen)
panacea

Post by panacea »

a chemist?
what is it that makes sperm-remains smell bad :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote: What is it about egg yolks that make them spoil so fast
Egg yolk contains a very effective barrier against bacteria; it protects the yolk.
As the shell is so effective, there is no second line of defense,
(no construction of fiber or connective tissue; just a very thin sack)
so that once the shell is gone, deterioration kicks in fast.
Oxidation indeed.
You should only take away the shell right before consumption as cholesterol will start to oxidize.
And not just cholesterol, but also albumin, and when albumin gets decomposed it starts smelling.
panacea wrote: what is it that makes sperm-remains smell bad :D
Similar to egg yolk, semen contains albumin, which starts to smell bad as soon as deterioration starts,
which happens the moment its exposed to air.
Semen deteriorates even faster than egg yolk due to the high level of protein-decomposing enzymes. (albumin is a protein)
Secondly, sperm contains various alkaline basic amines such as putrescine, spermine, spermidine and cadaverine, which all smell bad.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

@Pontoonrider

I prefer to prepare more yolks in one time than do it everyday too.
In the fridge mixed with sugar its still good after 4 days.
Maybe more i dont know i always eat it in less than 4 days.