Pastured Eggs

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
djkvan
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Pastured Eggs

Post by djkvan »

I just had my first meal of pastured eggs last night. I bought them at a local farmers market. They are quite different from the regular eggs I am used to from the supermarket or the so-called organic eggs I bought at Costco the other day. The shell is thicker and has a thicker inner membrane that you literally have to tear past once you crack the egg. The white is thinner and the yolk bag is thicker than regular eggs. There is no off taste to the yolk which is quite a bit thicker than a regular egg's yolk, more like a paste than a liquid. Even though they cost a little more than twice what I pay for regular eggs I feel better about eating them for sure. Oh yeah, I increased my intake from six to eight yolks per night yesterday, RRM. :)
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
zackcentury

Re: Pastured Eggs

Post by zackcentury »

Why do you feel better about pasteurized eggs? Taste or bacteria?
I only soft-boil my eggs when I can't find organics and I'm uncertain about their quality. I think you could probably pasteurize them yourself and save a few bucks if you're going to be eating 6-8 of these each day.
bananarama
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Not pasteurized. Pastured.

Farm raised, free-run, with a natural diet of grains grasses, insects and worms and not antibiotics. As natural as chickens and their eggs get.
zackcentury

Post by zackcentury »

haha my mistake! I wish I could find THOSE eggs. I had never heard of the term "pastured"
bananarama
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Interesting. In my experience the white's are more jelly-like the fresher they are. They seem good eggs though. :)

Personally I'd never heat the eggs, no matter what.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:In my experience the white's are more jelly-like the fresher they are.
Exactly. As they age, the white gets thinner.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

My mistake, too. It seems that the whites are in most cases thicker with these eggs. I'm going to place a standing order with the farmer so that they will set aside four to five dozen eggs for me every week. I'm going to have to ride somebody's ass about the grading process, though. I seems that they slip one or two small/medium eggs in every dozen of larges by mistake. :roll:
zackcentury wrote:haha my mistake! I wish I could find THOSE eggs. I had never heard of the term "pastured"
Is there no farmer's market or farms perhaps nearby where you live?
Oscar wrote:Personally I'd never heat the eggs, no matter what.
Me neither. ;D