Pieces of Sashimi?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
clementine
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

How many grams in 1 piece sashimi?

Post by clementine »

I went out for sushi yesterday but Im not sure how much 1 piece of sashimi weighs. I ate about 6 pieces of salmon sashimi, and I don't know if I went over the protein limit.... any help would be great!
CY

Post by CY »

It is difficult to tell. The size of sashimi portions varies between resturaunts, as each sushi chef prepares his or her dishes a little differently.

However, going by what I know about smoked salmon (which contains considerably less water than fresh sashimi), I'd say you had between 8-12 or 10-15 grams of protein, depending on whether the dish was leaning more towards an "appetizer" sashimi plate or a "main course" sashimi platter. If the resturaunt is a chain, I may be able to give you a closer estimate.

This may be slightly over the Wai protein quota, but when eating at a resturaunt, I'd say don't kill yourself over it and enjoy the meal :) (that is, just as long as it is not cooked).
clementine

Post by clementine »

hmm ok thanks CY! The sashimi pieces were the same size as the ones on top of rice in sushi, so I think it would be considered "appetizer" size. On the sample diet, it says that as a woman you can eat up to 50 grams of raw fish... how does everyone else figure out how much everything weighs?! I dont have a scale for anything so I even have a hard time with the nutrient calculator!!! :oops:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

A digital kitchen scale is very cheap, and very helpful.
CY

Post by CY »

clementine wrote:On the sample diet, it says that as a woman you can eat up to 50 grams of raw fish... how does everyone else figure out how much everything weighs?! I dont have a scale for anything so I even have a hard time with the nutrient calculator!!! :oops:
I'm not actually on the sample diet, but from what I understand, the only foodstuffs you need to weigh are the fish. Eggs are easy, as each yolk contains roughly 3 grams of protein.

Althought it'd be pretty easy to memorize quickly, you can have some fun making a fake "piece of fish" to which you can compare all your fish meals to when you're out of your house and away from a scale. First, obtain a 50g sample of fish (perhaps ask for one at a sushi resturaunt if you can't get exactly 50 grams of fish from the market). Next, take a wad of paper or some cloth, and wrap it in packaging tape or duct tape so that it is exactly the size of the 50g piece of fish. You can carry this around in a bag or pocket, so that you can easily determine roughly the amount of fish you were served (most fish have around the same grams of protein per 50 grams. Tuna has a couple more, and mackerel has a couple less).

Just a thought :P
sugarbarbie

Post by sugarbarbie »

We have a japanesse restaurant across the street that delivers to our building so I ordered it a la carte and weighed it at home. Maybe consider take out first and weigh it at home. The scale I bought was only like 3 or 4 dollars in virginia. it is the kind with the cup that sits on top of a scale. In the future you can dine in at this restaurant and know how much to order. any other restaurant wouldn't be way off maybe a little more or a little less so I would assume you would be good ordering the same amount of pieces at any restaurant. you may go over your target but not by an extreme amount.
If You Can Paste And Submit, Then You Can Grow 2,346 Downlines In a Year
http://www.opportunityplr.com/?rid=357
shelts

Pieces of Sashimi?

Post by shelts »

Hi All,

I live on the west coast of Canada. Does anyone know how many pieces of sashimi would equal to 100grams approximately? Thanks

Shelts
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Pieces of Sashimi?

Post by Oscar »

That's a bit hard to say, as the pieces (at least where I live) differ quite a bit in size. A very rough estimate might be between 6 and 9?