Nutrients in egg yolk

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Mark
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Nutrients in egg yolk

Post by Mark »

I find egg yolk goes well with bananas and kiwi.
The nutrients that tend to be low in egg yolks are also those that are high in bananas and kiwi.
You could mash the bananas with a fork and chop/mash the kiwi because if the seeds of kiwi are broken they release bitter tasting toxins.
By their fruits shall ye know them.
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

Mark wrote:I find egg yolk goes well with bananas and kiwi.
The nutrients that tend to be low in egg yolks are also those that are high in bananas and kiwi.
You could mash the bananas with a fork and chop/mash the kiwi because if the seeds of kiwi are broken they release bitter tasting toxins.
I have to say, its my recollection that kiwis are relatively poor sources of nutrients in general, except for perhaps vitamin C. What nutrients do you think they contain?
Mark

Post by Mark »

benzapp wrote:I have to say, its my recollection that kiwis are relatively poor sources of nutrients in general, except for perhaps vitamin C. What nutrients do you think they contain?
Kiwis are the 2nd most nutrient dense of all fruits after guavas.

Of those nutrients egg yolks are low in (according to USDA); Vitamin K, magnesium, pottasium, copper and of course vit C.
Kiwis also have much folate, vitamin e and calcium.

Combining yolk, banana and kiwi will provide a good amount of everything except niacin and obviously fish oils.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mark wrote:
Kiwis are the 2nd most nutrient dense of all fruits after guavas.
Yes, kiwis are not that bad indeed, but whether a certain nutrient is valauble for us, depends on how much of what nutrients you need, which depends on what other foods you eat. For example: Kiwi is 'rich' in vitamin C, but consuming lots of OJ, the last thing you need is extra vitamin C, so that's no 'rich-ness'.

Its all about balance, and we need to keep the bigger picture in mind; whether our total diet supplies us with everything we need.
Personally, I find that in this diet fruits like mango, orange and muskmelon are more in balance / valuable.
But then, again, thats not really an issue when you are consuming mainly fruits and some fresh raw animal food.
Of those nutrients egg yolks are low in (according to USDA); Vitamin K,
Vitamin K????
egg yolks are very rich in vitamin K...
http://www.3.waisays.com/other/eggyolk.htm
Combining yolk, banana and kiwi will provide a good amount of everything except niacin and obviously fish oils
I understand you are a fan of fish oil, but its not a nutrient, and you dont need it. Maybe you meant to mention specific omega 3 fats? (which are abundantly present in fish, just like niacin)
Mark

Post by Mark »

RRM wrote: Vitamin K????
egg yolks are very rich in vitamin K...
http://www.3.waisays.com/other/eggyolk.htm
I accept different studies give differnt values. The current USDA value gives a very low amount of Vit K- (0.7mcg/100gm).
RRM wrote: I understand you are a fan of fish oil, but its not a nutrient, and you dont need it. Maybe you meant to mention specific omega 3 fats? (which are abundantly present in fish, just like niacin)
I said fish oils (plural), so yes, I was meaning EPA & DHA.
Actually free range organic chickens can have EPA & DHA depending on their diet.
So possibly only niacin is poor in this simple 3 food combination.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mark wrote
I said fish oils (plural), so yes, I was meaning EPA & DHA.
My point was that EPA and DHA are not oils (food/substance) but fats (nutrient/molecule); 2 specific omega-3 fats.
Actually free range organic chickens can have EPA & DHA depending on their diet.
According to Souci S.W. et al, Food Composition and Nutrition Tabels, eggs always contain DHA (180 mg / 100 g on the average, EPA has not been investigated)
Also, humans do have a limited capacity to convert LNA in other omega3 fats.

Suppose an average adult young man would only eat bananas, kiwis and egg yolks to meet his energy requirements (15 bananas, 6 kiwis and 20 egg yolks), this diet would supply him with 1,312 mg LNA, 199 mg DPA and 598 mg DHA on 111 g total fat, which is 2% omega3/fat, which is plenty.
So possibly only niacin is poor in this simple 3 food combination.
Well, even if you would ONLY eat those 3 foods (supplying you with sufficient energy; for a young adult man: 15 bananas, 6 kiwis and 20 egg yolks), you would directly ingest 10 to 12 mg of the 19 mg niacin recommended by the FDA, which would not represent a lack of niacin.

Furthermore, your own body also composes niacin from tryptophan, an amino acid present in all foods.
According to Souci, S.W. et al,
15 bananas and 20 egg yolks contain 272 and 963 mg tryptophan.
I cannot acces the USDA database at the moment, and in souci SW, tryptophan contents in kiwis are not given, but I suspect it will be something like 25 to 40 mg. In total this would add up to at least 1260 mg tryptophan.
An adult man needs about 200 to 300 mg (according to the FAO/WHO), so that leaves about 1,000 mg available for partial conversion into vitamin B3 (niacin).
No way you might lack niacin on this version of the diet.