About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
kaB00M
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Is it SAFE to eat supermarket salmon?

Post by kaB00M »

???
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

I would expect so, although it is best to ensure the fish has not been frozen.

James
x
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, its relatively safe (because its hatchery salmon), but not exactly as much as salmon bought in a normal fish-shop with dedictated people working there. With supermarkets, the fish is processed in a more 'massive production-mode', with less care for detecting parasites (which are rare btw) that can normally easily be detected (also because that fish is not intended for raw consumption).

So, you better buy it from people who are dedictated, and will give you carefully selected and inspected fish of the highest quality because you told them that you eat it raw.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I buy my salmon at a place that has farmed salmon and when in season wild salmon.

This place has fish they desgnate as for raw consumption. The only time they have salmon they ok for eating raw is when it is in season. They told me they don't recommend eating the farm salmon raw.

I bought some and ate it raw. Now I'm thnking that maybe this isn't a good practice.

also,
Why do you recommend against eating frozen salmon raw?

what are the dangers of raw fish? what is the worst thing that could happen eating raw fish that is fresh from the store?

I'm starting to think maybe I should just rely on egg yolks for my raw animal food and have sashimi every once in a while
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:They told me they don't recommend eating the farm salmon raw.
Thats very weird.
what reason do they give?
I always buy farm salmon, its very fresh and its tastes better than wild salmon, and its very safe (regarding parasites).
Why do you recommend against eating frozen salmon raw?
Because you cannot judge freshness.
And maybe, you dont even know how long it has been frozen.
Also, it doesnt taste as good (watery)

what is the worst thing that could happen eating raw fish that is fresh from the store?
I guess you refer to the farm salmon they didnt recommend eating raw, right?
Well, they must have a reason why they dont trust their own salmon. Probably it isnt really fresh. and if it isnt, your bowels may move too fast.
Last edited by RRM on Thu 18 May 2006 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

So even if I ate a parasite it would pass through me and at the worst case make me temporarily sick?

That doesn't seem like much of a threat. I'be heard of a parasite from pork that somehow works its way to your brain and is fatal.

This makes me think that I don't have to worry that much about eating raw fish.

by the way, do you have any easy ways to get the skin off? I've been putting about 1/8 inch of water in a sauce pan and boiling it then laying the salmon down on the skin side for abouot 10 seconds. Then the skin just peels away.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:So even if I ate a parasite it would pass through me and at the worst case make me temporarily sick?
I didnt say that.
Check out threads about parasites.
This makes me think that I don't have to worry that much about eating raw fish.
Thats not really an accurate thought.
You need to know which fish contain more/less parasites.

by the way, do you have any easy ways to get the skin off? I've been putting about 1/8 inch of water in a sauce pan and boiling it then laying the salmon down on the skin side for abouot 10 seconds. Then the skin just peels away.
Just use a sharp knife.
Maybe less easy, but more safe.
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Farmed salmon can be quite contaminated with PCBs(much more so than wild), are typically vaccinated and/or fed antibiotics, and eat an unnatural diet of (processed) fishmeal, soy meal, soy protein and/or corn gluten...not the kind of crap I want the fish I eat to be made of! Here's a summary of what farmed fish are fed:

"C) Fish Feeds and Nutrition

Q36- What ingredients are used in the feeds?

Feeds for all animals must contain protein for growth, fat (edible oil) or carbohydrate for energy, and various minerals and vitamins (micronutrients) that are necessary for normal physiological and biochemical bodily processes. Because fish are cold blooded, they do not use as much energy as warm-blooded animals and, typically, do not digest or utilize carbohydrates well. Most fish feeds, therefore, are made from protein-rich ingredients and fat, plus various nutritional supplements.

Protein is usually supplied by a blend of high protein meals, such as fishmeal, soybean meal or soy protein concentrate, animal byproduct meals, such as poultry meal, and other plant proteins such as corn gluten. The fat component usually comes mostly from fish oil, though, as nutritional understanding improves, more vegetable oils are being used."
Yeah....because fish are supposed to eat VEGETABLE OIL....:evil:

Source: http://www.wfga.net/sjdf/faq.html#C

Also, wild salmon are able to live in their natural life cycle, going from the river to the ocean and back again, (well, if they don't get caught that is... ) it would make sense that it would make for a healthier fish overall, similar to biodynamics...but for fish :D

~Amber
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Bambi726 wrote:Farmed salmon can be quite contaminated with PCBs
From what Ive read, this is pretty much under control nowadays.
are typically vaccinated and/or fed antibiotics
They are fed antibiotics, indeed, but maximally only small amounts of remainders can be ingested from eating farmed salmon.
and eat an unnatural diet of (processed) fishmeal, soy meal, soy protein and/or corn gluten...
True, and yes this will decrease longevity of the salmon, but its unlikely to afflict the contents of its meat (regarding nutrients and toxins)
For example; it doesnt matter that fish naturally dont consume oil; what matters is what the effects of consuming oil are on the contents of its flesh; does it contain all nutrients and no / hardly any toxins?

it would make sense that it would make for a healthier fish overall, similar to biodynamics...
Sure, but maybe thats not really an issue.
To me, it doesnt matter how healthy the fish is, but how healthy its flesh is for us, which is decided by the bad / good substances it contains.
sugarbarbie

Post by sugarbarbie »

My grocery store has an actual sushi bar in it...nest to it is the butcher and in the window is "shashimi grade tuna"! It takes great! I asked for salmon. Ask your grocer if they can consider offering shashimi grade!
If You Can Paste And Submit, Then You Can Grow 2,346 Downlines In a Year
http://www.opportunityplr.com/?rid=357
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Do not eat fish frozen by your supermarket. I don't know why, but they add water to it. Destroys the taste completely.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
fictor

Post by fictor »

RRM wrote:They are fed antibiotics, indeed, but maximally only small amounts of remainders can be ingested from eating farmed salmon.
Any documentation at all to back this up, or is it just an asumption?
RRM wrote:True, and yes this will decrease longevity of the salmon, but its unlikely to afflict the contents of its meat (regarding nutrients and toxins)
As for this, any analyses of farmed salmon, or other documentation to back this up?

The reason I am so sceptical here is that I think this goes against the idea of the wai diet, to consume as little as possible of toxic substances. I mean, we even peel all fruit, and dont even drink tap water! this inmind, I think it is strange that "a little anti biotics" wont hurt...

On the other hand, I would be thrilled if farmed salmon was perfectly healthy to eat, since I have access to very high quality sashimi from farmed salmon, but the organicly farmed salmon or wild salmon I can get my hands on have been frozen for god knows how long :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:Any documentation at all to back this up, or is it just an asumption?
Not at the top of my hand, but that info is readily available when you do some searching. Came across it on multiple occasions.

RRM wrote:I think it is strange that "a little anti biotics" wont hurt...
I didnt say that.
Its all a matter of choice. Wild salmon is known to contain more parasites, and if you have to chose between parasites and antibioticc residues, you may chose one, or the other.
Of course, you can also simply chose a different kind of fish (like tuna).
I dont eat salmon anymore because my body resents the fats of the farmed salmon, and for me its too much hassle to get 'natural farmed salmon', so i simply stick to other fish.
Of course, we should limit the intake of toxins as much as possible, but for some people, salmon is about the only raw fish available (costs or location-wise)
On the other hand, I would be thrilled if farmed salmon was perfectly healthy to eat, since I have access to very high quality sashimi from farmed salmon, but the organicly farmed salmon or wild salmon I can get my hands on have been frozen for god knows how long :)
yeah, thats often the case :(
fictor

Post by fictor »

While waiting for RRM's answer on this matter, I wrote an email to the company that makes the sashimi-grade salmon they sell around where I live. The answer came back after a few days.

They does not use antibiotics, and have not used them since 1991.
They use 2 kinds of chemicals for parasites, but claim that their
product is tested and does not contain traces of these chemicals.
They vaccinates the fish, but claims this does not leave any residue either.

This brand of salmon is called "Salma". It is quite cheap compared to buying sashimi in a resturant/take away, and it tastes DELICIOUS.
I have been eating it every day the last week and a half, and am going
to continue to do so for a while.

I have had no ill reactions so far, and I will report back later on this topic.
sugarbarbie

Post by sugarbarbie »

fictor wrote:While waiting for RRM's answer on this matter, I wrote an email to the company that makes the sashimi-grade salmon they sell around where I live. The answer came back after a few days.

They does not use antibiotics, and have not used them since 1991.
They use 2 kinds of chemicals for parasites, but claim that their
product is tested and does not contain traces of these chemicals.
They vaccinates the fish, but claims this does not leave any residue either.

This brand of salmon is called "Salma". It is quite cheap compared to buying sashimi in a resturant/take away, and it tastes DELICIOUS.
I have been eating it every day the last week and a half, and am going
to continue to do so for a while.

I have had no ill reactions so far, and I will report back later on this topic.
I'm jealous because they only have tuna but beggers aren't choosy... :wink:
If You Can Paste And Submit, Then You Can Grow 2,346 Downlines In a Year
http://www.opportunityplr.com/?rid=357