raw scallops

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Justin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

raw scallops

Post by Justin »

anyone eaten raw scallops? i tried them today and wasn't too keen on them. http://www.3.waisays.com/other/scallops.htm
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

In the beginning I tried eating several kinds of raw fish, and then I also tried scallops, but I didn't like them so much.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The thing with scallops is that they need to be EXTREMELY fresh in order to taste very good. If not, they dont taste good, even though they are still perfectly edible / fresh enough to eat.
This specifically applies to scallops. Only mackerel comes close a little bit. Regarding all other fish, freshness is not nearly as much an issue as with scallops.

One time I ate extremely fresh scallops, and they were absolutely fabulous. The next time I got them from the same shop, they tasted like shit, while they were still fresh enough... :x
avalon

Ceviche

Post by avalon »

how about using them in Ceviche? Marinated in lemmon or lime juice etc. Hmmm getting hungry... :)

Avalon
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Yum! Scallop Ceviche sounds SO good! :P :D

~Amber
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

I found a recipe that makes my mouth water. It's a scallop ceviche with kiwi-mango salsa/relish. It would be a munch food because it has a little salt and sweet onions, some hot peppers and cilantro, but not too bad really :) One could easily make it a non-munch food too (are raw scallops munch food, though? Or are they not, since they are sashimi?). I'm going to try it out if I make an order to catalinaop soon - or hopefully I'll be able to find some in my area. I do, after all, live about 2 miles max from the ocean!
Feel free to drool over this one....
http://starchefs.com/features/kiwi/html ... owie.shtml

~Amber
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Moved from other thread
Mr PC wrote:I ate some raw scallops today, they were bulk frozen. They tasted really gross and were mushy inside, so I stopped after 3 of them, and cooked the rest for mom and sis.

Anyone know about these? Are they suppose to be mushy inside? It really creeped me out (animal food in general does, even when cooked, but these creeped me out more, especially the inside of my mouth).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Moved from other thread:
martianwarrior wrote:i love raw scallops. great protein quality and low mercury levels.

they should definitely not be mushy. they should be a bit firm, but not chewy. obviously, they should not taste or smell fishy. the taste should be kind of sweet with a little bit of a bite. if you can get fresh, wild caught scallops without chemicals(often called dry sea scallops) i would go for those.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Moved from other thread:
Iris wrote:Did you try searching for an answer? I know for sure there's at least 1 topic on this already....
Thank you Iris! 8)

@ Mr PC:
PLEASE do some searching before you ask something.
And one you are sure that your questions have not already been answered somewhere,
you can start a new thread AFTER you have checked if there is a thread about a similar topic...
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

:oops:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

:D
mario91

scallops

Post by mario91 »

I've bought some frozen scallops today, and I just ate a few... they really taste divine!

Are they really safe to eat raw when bought frozen, or do they have to be bought fresh/alive?

What about the preservative they put on them, sodium tripolyphosphate, is it harmful? I read in Wikipedia it's a pretty unoffensive chemical.
RRM
Administrator

Re: List of fish: the good, the bad and everything in betwee

Post by RRM »

mario91 wrote: Are they really safe to eat raw when bought frozen, or do they have to be bought fresh/alive?
If you are close to a fishing port, or when they have been transported by plane, you may buy them fresh.
If not, you better buy them frozen, because already the next day they will not taste as good,
and the second day there will be a bitter taste.
What about the preservative they put on them, sodium tripolyphosphate, is it harmful?
Thats ok.
mario91

Re: raw scallops

Post by mario91 »

Nice to know that!
These must be quite fresh than, since they don't really taste bitter :)

Are they as safe to eat raw as sashimi fish? I always had a bit fear of eating seafood. Toxins and etc...
Is the coral part safe to eat raw?
RRM
Administrator

Re: raw scallops

Post by RRM »

mario91 wrote: These must be quite fresh than, since they don't really taste bitter :)
don't really
or
really don't
?
Are they as safe to eat raw as sashimi fish?
Fish may mean a variety of species, with different levels of safety.
But yes, they are relatively safe food as they feed on plankton.
Is the coral part safe to eat raw?
The coral part?
please elaborate.