Farmed salmon feed

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Farmed salmon feed

Post by johndela1 »

Is the problem with farm salmon the fact that they eat a less than perfect diet? What if someone set up a salmon farm and fed them ideal food, would it be better? Like the way they have grass fed beef.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Farmed salmon fed ideal food?

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:Is the problem with farm salmon the fact that they eat a less than perfect diet?
Yes, and the antibiotics that are added to those feedings.
What if someone set up a salmon farm and fed them ideal food, would it be better? Like the way they have grass fed beef.
It would make all the difference indeed.
'Biologic farmed salmon'; its an excellent idea, as im sure many people would buy this salmon (I would!).
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I would love to some how do some kind of proof of concept and business plan and get a investor. I have to do some research first to find out how much this would cost. I wonder if I could do it offshore. Like 3 miles out. And not have to pay rent for space, plus cleaner water. I'd need big nets.

I'd like to find out how much space salmon need and how fast they grow. It sounds too big for me to do.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Also... any ideas on why it has been done already? I mean they are doing it with organic fruit, why not organic farm salmon? I wonder why they feel they need to use all the antibiotics, maybe they salmon get too sick other wise.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Check out this link:

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/05-2 ... rticle.htm

so I guess this is being done to some level
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well, I would buy it too, of course. I think it's been done in europe too.
overkees

Farmed Salmon

Post by overkees »

Im still sceptic about consuming alot of fish. It's something that we only eat for a few ten thousand of years. And besides there are pollutants in m. Thought you were one the safe side with farmed salmon? Well then read this:

http://www.puresalmon.org/pdfs/organoch ... salmon.pdf
RRM
Administrator

Re: Farmed Salmon

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:Im still sceptic about consuming alot of fish. It's something that we only eat for a few ten thousand of years.
How can you be so sure?
... there are pollutants in m.
True. As there are in beef, chicken, eggs etc etc. etc.
And in grains, on veggies and fruits....
dime

Re: Farmed Salmon

Post by dime »

RRM wrote:True. As there are in beef, chicken, eggs etc etc. etc.
And in grains, on veggies and fruits....
This is my reasoning too, it's not like you're going to get something better in terms of pollution if you substitute fish with something else.
It's best to balance things, you don't have to eat too much fish anyway.
Nadia

Re: Farmed salmon feed

Post by Nadia »

RRM ,
recently there was a documentary on swiss tv alarming that all fish pellets for farmed salmon ( bio or not ) contain rancid fats and pesticides . and : farmed salmon ( organic or not ) may contain exceptionally high levels of PCBs .
what to think of this ?
maybe wild salmon is still a better option ? ( in ch only available in july and august though … ) .

you and your family eat bio farmed salmon , right ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Nadia wrote:recently there was a documentary on swiss tv alarming that all fish pellets for farmed salmon ( bio or not ) contain rancid fats and pesticides
Rancid fats are easily detected, as rancidity has a chain effect; once the fat contains rancid fatty acids, it will eventually affect all fatty acids.
And rancid fatty acids give rise to foul odours that are truly offensive.
. and : farmed salmon ( organic or not ) may contain exceptionally high levels of PCBs .
what to think of this ?
This, and the accumulation of pesticides makes sense, as they use commercially produced feeds, which therefore will contain pesticides.
Additionally, feedings will be used that cost the least, which may lead to using contaminated illegal feedings.
maybe wild salmon is still a better option ? ( in ch only available in july and august though … ) .
Yes, in my experience it is.
When frozen, it is available all year around.
you and your family eat bio farmed salmon , right ?
No, we do not.
Years ago i developed an aversion against eating farmed salmon.
I just could not eat it anymore without feeling nausious.
After that i tried eating bio farmed salmon, and it did not make me nausious.
But the salmon that we always eat is frozen wild salmon. It is available all year around.
We never had any negative experience with eating it.
Nadia

Post by Nadia »

which brand do you choose RRM ?
is there a best ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I do not think we can determine which brand is best. Studies are needed for that.
It just needs to be wild salmon.
And if you want it all year around, it needs to be frozen.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

I was buying salmon from the supermarket, but reading this I couldn't get it clear: is farmon salmon not the best option? I think the salmon there comes from Norway, farmed of course. They only say that it is fresh, I don't really know if it is bio (probably not). Better to avoid it?

I also bought some frozen salmon and it says that it comes from Chile. Didn't know whether it was farmed or wild. Then I saw this:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6IQaWLfWXU
- http://www.salmonchile.cl/en/salmon-from-chile.php
- http://www.reuters.com/article/us-chile ... IG20150723
"Chilean salmon producers said there is no reason for consumers to worry. Farmers do not administer antibiotics for months before harvesting the fish, so any traces of the drugs that remain in the salmon when it reaches consumers are within tolerance levels, they said."
- http://www.sernapesca.cl/index.php?opti ... own&id=173

lol...
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

They only say that it is fresh, I don't really know if it is bio (probably not). Better to avoid it?
I would definitely avoid it. If it is organic, it should be on the label. Also you will see it on the price, because it is quite expensive. I would always go for wild or organic.