The bag of the yolk

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
manwiththeplan
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Eating egg yolk bag?

Post by manwiththeplan »

If I were feeling lazy and just poped an egg yolk in my mouth without squeezing the contents out of the bag first, would this have and ill effects? And are there any anti nutrients in the bag of the yolk?
fictor

Post by fictor »

I would guess some egg white will always stick to the bag, so you will probably ingest some enzyme inhibitors.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It should be fine. I personally think it's also fine to even eat whole eggs, because there are quite a lot of nutrients (i.c. Biotin) in the yolk to begin with.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Whole eggs? What about the enzyme inhibitors?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You mean the Biotin inhibitors?
fictor

Post by fictor »

I thought egg white contained enzyme inhibitors?

Is egg whites safe to eat even if one has acne?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I'm curious to know how much a whole egg would inhibit and how much you will assimilate.

I've read that eating whole eggs can cause a biotin deficiency (even considering the yolks content) and I've read the opposite that there is so much biotin that you get more than you loose.

I've also read that even if you measured it in a lab setting, you can not assume it works the same way in the GI tract and this source claims that eating whole eggs wont deprive you.

I want to believe that if eggs are found in nature and they have been a human food source, than we don't need to worry about the whites. Unfortunately wanting to believe this has little impact on what really is happening.

I think the ultimate answer may be complicated. What is the measure amount of biotin inhibitor in a typical egg.
Iris

Post by Iris »

johndela1 wrote: I've read that eating whole eggs can cause a biotin deficiency (even considering the yolks content) and I've read the opposite that there is so much biotin that you get more than you loose.

I want to believe that if eggs are found in nature and they have been a human food source, than we don't need to worry about the whites.
I read the same thing. But if it was true there is no harm in eating the whites, it is not said it is actually good for us. And if it is good for us, why does it taste so bad. Plain egg white tastes horrible to me, and I don't even want to eat it. If it is not good for us, why eat it.

Plus, there is nothing in egg whites that we can't get from other foods. Egg white is not that nutritious is it? And to be honest I find it almost repulsing to eat it, so I wonder why. I think there must be something in it that causes it (it may be the biotin inhibitors?). And maybe we never ate it instinctively (because of it)???
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You all have good points here. I seem to remember RRM has more data on this, from which I concluded there wasn't any harm in eating the egg whites (biotin inhibitor wise), but I'm not completely sure. Hopefully he can shed more light on this.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

If its only the Biotin, look what i found:

"Biotin deficiency is relatively rare and mild, and can be addressed with supplementation. Such deficiency can be caused by the excessive consumption of raw egg whites (20 eggs/day would be required to induce it), which contain high levels of the protein avidin, which binds biotin strongly. Avidin is deactivated by cooking, while the biotin remains intact."

20 eggs per day! We are way too far from that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin#Deficiency
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Plus it doesn't say it takes into account 20 egg yolks consumed with the 20 egg whites.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Iris wrote:why does it taste so bad. Plain egg white tastes horrible to me
Indeed, and many animals feel the same.
In my experience, cats and dogs in general clearly prefer the egg yolks only.
Its not just avidin, its also ovomucoid, another enzyminhibitor.

I think that when the body develops a dislike of something, it must be not so good for us.
Its a fact that it differs very much per person how much sensitive we are regarding a specific anti-nutrient or poison.
So, if you want to know whether its ok for you to eat egg whites (or the yolks plus sacks), try to consume a few whole raw eggs for a few days in a row, and compare that to consuming a few raw egg yolks only (or with sacks compared to without sacks).
Elias

The bag of the yolk

Post by Elias »

I searched around for an answer but found none, so now I wonder. Why isn't allowed to eat the bag of the yolk ? How do you know that this is a bad thing? Does it even contain the same things as the egg white? Where can i read more about this? :)
RRM
Administrator

Re: The bag of the yolk

Post by RRM »

This one is solely based on personal experiences of different people.
People (and cats) tend to eventually dislike the egg yolks when they eat the bag / sack too.