Parasites in raw pork

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Parasites in raw pork

Post by dime »

Pig heart looks so good, it's so smooth and soft and dark red, nothing like the normal muscle meat.
I'd really like to eat it raw, but am a bit scared because raw pork is considered very dangerous (trichinosis?).
Any thoughts? Yes or no for raw pig heart?

Beef heart can look good too, if you're not lazy to clean it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfxLptyBQkY
dime

Re: Pig heart

Post by dime »

Ok it's a no..
The roundworms produce other worms that move through the gut wall and into the bloodstream. These organisms tend to invade muscle tissues, including the heart and diaphragm (the breathing muscle under the lungs). They can also affect the lungs and brain.
But slow cooked is perfectly safe, 15 minutes at 55C for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosi ... reparation
dime

Re: Pig heart

Post by dime »

But slow cooked this sucks big time, it's tastes just like cooked liver. Or maybe it's the tongue I'm not sure, I mixed both in one pot.
overkees

Parasites in raw pork

Post by overkees »

I would love to see your source for your parasite suspection in raw pork,especially the parma ham, because I have done lots of research and came to the conclusion that it was total rubbish. At least for western countries.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Parasites in raw pork

Post by RRM »

To eliminate the suspicion of parasites in raw pork, one needs processing.
overkees

Post by overkees »

A treatment with salts at a temperature of around 0 degrees for 8 months eliminates pretty much all suspicion. But the suspicion is very low it iss very rare that someone in a western country. I read something about the states that you must be extremely paranoid to risk the chance of getting the parasite if you buy any kind of pork meat in the supermarket and eat it raw. This included commercial raw bacon and such which weren't getting such good treatments as the parma or serrano variety.
But as I said, please post a source for your claims, because I can't find one.
Relating cholesterol it might be not fully optimal. But that's another case.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

From Wikipedia: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention makes the following recommendation: "Curing (salting), drying, smoking, or microwaving meat does not consistently kill infective worms."
They also write: Freezing cuts of pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 °F (−15 °C) or three days at −4 °F (−20 °C) kills T. spiralis larval worms; but this will not kill other trichinosis larval worm species, such as T. nativa, if they have infested your pork food supply (which is unlikely).
However, it could be slow-cooked, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:A treatment with salts at a temperature of around 0 degrees for 8 months eliminates pretty much all suspicion.
Thats not processing?
Please post a source for your claims.
overkees wrote:about the states that you must be extremely paranoid to risk the chance of getting the parasite if you buy any kind of pork meat in the supermarket and eat it raw.
In the USA, "During 2002-2007, a total of 66 cases of trichinellosis were reported to CDC. ... Pork was associated with 10 (19%) cases: seven with commercial pork, two with noncommercial pork, and one with an unspecified type of pork. Of the seven cases associated with consumption of commercial pork, five were linked to U.S. commercial pork, and two were attributed to pork ingested during travel in Asia. ... Six patients reported consuming both pork and meat products other than pork, but the infected meat product could not be identified." Kennedy ED et al

In the USA, "Fifteen patients had trichinosis after eating raw or undercooked commercial pork sausage produced by a local processing plant. Even though it is recommended that all fresh pork be cooked to a temperature of at least 171 degrees F (77 degrees C) to ensure a sufficient margin of safety, this is not always done, and sporadic outbreaks continue to occur" Landry SM et al; 1992

"In Poland, tirchinellosis is an endemic disease, occurring mainly in territories where it is customary to eat raw meat products prepared from pigs and wild boars." Sadkowska-Todys M et al, 2010

In Germany; "The epidemiology of trichinellosis in Germany was investigated by analyzing national surveillance data from 1996-2006. During this period, 95 laboratory-confirmed infections and 12 outbreaks were reported. ...Among patients with reported source of infection (85%; n = 81), the consumption of pork (mostly originating from endemic countries) represented the most frequent exposure (93%; n = 75)." Jansen A et al

In Germany; "52 cases of human trichinellosis were notified from 11 towns in North Rhine-Westphalia from November 1998 to March 1999.... Raw sausage and minced meat produced from raw pork could be determined as probable source of infection with 44 and eight notified cases, respectively" Noeckler, K et al