How do you prepare your raw fish?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Sand86id
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

How do you prepare your raw fish?

Post by Sand86id »

I've never prepared raw fish myself... So, when actually deciding to go through with it, several things come into mind

Just bought 270 g of salmon trout fillet yesterday (threw out the skin [thick and quite fatty], which probably left me with around 180-200 g-ish left, cut it to about 7 pieces.. ate 1 and left the rest into freezer)... not as fishy as i'd have thought, but as im not used to eating fish raw, it's kinda repulsing.. especially regarding the smell and consistency. Please advise for more enjoyable consumption.. I didnt have lemon last nite, so i opt for orange juice to marinate it... didnt help 1 bit as it's still quite fishy to me. I doubt lemon will have much impact... Is it true that a very fresh salmon will have no fishy odour AT-ALL?

Was a bit confused when slicing the fish, is the skin of the fish good to eat also ? And there is a bit darker part of the flesh, is that good to eat, or it's best to discard it with the skin?

For maximized protein intake and effectiveness.. say I can only afford to buy 200 g (skin already discarded) of salmon trout fillet a week.. how is best to consume that?
Do I :
1. Cut it into 7 pieces, eat 1 piece fresh that nite.. the rest 6 pieces after 2 days of freezing, 1 pc per day? (even/daily distribution)
2. Cut into 2 pieces, freeze it 48 hours before consuming on the weekends , 1 pc per day? (weekend consumption)
3. Just consume it all at once, dont freeze...? (single consumption per week)

As around here, a meal usually cost about $ 0.80-2.00.
1 Kg of orange is $ 1.2 and 1 Kg of ordinary egg $ 1.72.
It cost about Rp. 270k/kg (roughly translate to $ 21), and thus can be considered to be quite a luxury to me...
Is salmon trout fillet also considered to be luxury food in your place?
Maia

Re: How do you prepare your raw fish?

Post by Maia »

Hello Sand86id!
Yes it is true that really fresh fish has no fishy smell at all. If you have never had really good raw fish it might be a good idea for you to go to a good japanese restaurant and have sashimi at least once, just so that you know what to look for in fish in the future! :) Fresh fish should taste kind of pure, and should not be repulsive at all.

We don't usually eat the skin of the fish. About the darker part of the flesh: I don't like to eat it, because it's just not as tasty as the rest of the fish, but it's not dangerous or anything to eat it.

About the freezing of the fish: During freezing the fish becomes a bit less fresh, and more so the more it is in the freezer. So if you say that your fish was smelling "fishy" to begin with, freezing it will not make it any tastier.
If I was you I would (if possible) go to the shop twice in a week and buy fish, and then eat it the same day you bought if, without freezing. Or freeze it for only one day. It depends on how fresh the fish is of course. You can also ask the shop when they get the new fresh fish deliveries and then make sure to come there on that day to buy it.

By the way: I don't know if you have already read this link? http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/twd-fisheggs.html
It's about determining the freshness of fish and egg on the wai diet. (and some more info)
A bit beyond perceptions reach
I sometimes believe I see
that life is two locked boxes, each
containing the others key -Piet Hein
Sand86id

Re: How do you prepare your raw fish?

Post by Sand86id »

Hi Maia , thank you for replying.

I suppose it is due to my previous experience that made me doubt my smelling ability of fish. Twice i had gone with a fisherman in his small boat catching fish. i believe it was skipjack tuna by method of trolling. Altho it is freshly caught, they do smell fishy (smelt thru the skin), they are fish afterall! but this salty sea smell is kinda different with the smelly rotting kind. So, I guess must be able to distinguish between that.

I had tried your way, but i think i still kinda failed getting the freshest of fish. It was couple of days ago when i came that i found new cut salmon being put on (i came the day before and it was not there). I asked the fish staff of the supermarket if it's fresh, he said the fish came before.. it's just newly cut. So, it's probably put in the freezer before and properly thawed?

Yes I have read the link, but I guess it requires trained nose to be able to distinguish between fresh or not.
I should try what you suggested about going to a Japanese restaurant. This should make a good example about how a fresh salmon fillet should smell/taste. Thank you!