Sushi Freak!

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
avalon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Sushi Freak!

Post by avalon »

I just wanted to share a site that I think is pretty cool and may answer some questions for those new to the concept of eating raw fish.

I love sushi more than I can say. I'm an addict. I haven't located a good fresh seafood market yet, and I'm in Florida for goodness sake! When I lived in New York, there were lots of places. So for the short term it's (frozen) tuna sashimi when I can't get to the restaurant... I will find a place I can trust soon.

http://www.sushifaq.com/

best wishes to all, and thank you waitalk! I started two weeks ago today, with a 7 day fruit juice detox and found wai along the way :) The last seven days have been wonderful.

Avalon
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Wow, lots of info there. I think it's too bad (but understandable) that most restaurants (I haven't seen one so far) don't serve sashimi nama-saba, but only shime-saba.
avalon

shime vs nama saba

Post by avalon »

I so agree! Only a few times have I had raw mackerel. Even so the shime-saba is still one of my favorites and I'm hoping this week to order some sushi-grade fish from online.

http://catalinaop.com/sushifish.htm
http://www.sushifoods.com/index.php

I've read some good things about the above.

And I love IKURA!!!

go wai!

Avalon
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah, I think superfresh mackerel is the most exquisite tasty fish of all I've tasted so far. Very fatty, and it melts on your tongue. If you're used to that, then shime-saba doesn't taste that good anymore. Especially if they also use lots of rice wine/vinegar, which makes it taste as if it's cooked.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I find this site easy to find sushi places anywhere:
http://www.sushi.infogate.de/
avalon

Sushi world guide

Post by avalon »

Good morning!

Looks like a great site!

As I wrote I'm a Sushi fan for many years (new to wai) and eat it quite often. Having Sashimi a part of Wai's approach to eating is fabulous! I often wonder why I haven't had a 'cold' in so many years. I can hardly remember when the last time was. I always say 5 or 6 years but I think it's more like 9 now. I never take antibiotics unless after a surgery or something so I haven't had any in years also... but I can't help but think could the 'raw fish' have anything to do with me not getting sick anymore.

I say to friends who worry I may catch their cold that it's alright, if i get sick I've had a good run. Or, I just tell them not to worry, "Im immune" :).

If I could think of anything that would set me apart from the people I know who do catch colds, It would be Sushi. Okay, the lack of antibiotics too.

Either way, as I said, I'm addicted.

Avalon
avalon

Post by avalon »

I'm in Heaven!

I finally found a dreamy seafood outlet! It's about an hour away- so a two hour trip- but well worth it if you don't mind freezing some of the catch. It's difficult living alone and seeking fresh fish and meat all the time with gas prices the way they are.

I bought, the freshest Tuna I have ever eaten! I had some upon returning home. It was like it just came off the fish! I bought salmon, mackerel and yellow tail 'Hamachi'! The yellow tail was pre-frozen, but I had to get some.

So, today, I had my first Hamachi sashimi, made at home. It has to be my favorite raw fish!

Had to share the fish story. :D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good for you! :)
avo

Post by avo »

avalon, where in florida are you that you can't get fresh raw fish? I ask because I am moving to Tampa area in a month. Maybe we can get together and get some sushi! 8)
avalon

Post by avalon »

Here's the internet address.

http://www.directseafoodoutlet.com/

I've had the worst time finding fresh fish, you know. I've had only supermarket choices. I was expecting to find a large open market, when in fact all 'we' see is a small room where one gives the order. Then they bring the fish out. I didn't know what to expect and it wasn't until I got home, because it was all wrapped in a bag with ice, that I got to see the fish was quality.
Brian
Administrator

Post by Brian »

avalon wrote:I didn't know what to expect and it wasn't until I got home, because it was all wrapped in a bag with ice, that I got to see the fish was quality.
Huh? :shock:

Please tell me I'm misreading.

If not, congradulations you are very very lucky.
avalon

Post by avalon »

I know :D ! I was very lucky!
While I was there people were coming in and ordering a pound of tuna or other fish, and the order would go back, and a brown paper bag within a plasctic bag with ice would come out. In a way it makes sense, if they are a supplier, that they wouldn't necessarily have people go in the back as they cut the fish into pieces...I don't know. Maybe this place has a reputation I wasn't aware of.

All I know is I took a gamble, to be sure, and won :shock:
nick

Post by nick »

Avalon...I'm jealous!
I will have dreams of this amazing fish market you went to!
Mmmmmmm!
avalon

Post by avalon »

It took me nearly four months to find this place. We'll see if when I go again, history repeats itself. I found it on-line!
Brian
Administrator

Post by Brian »

Well, good for you...

But really, I don't understand why you wouldn't look at what you're buying before deciding to buy it.