Preparing fish.. rinsing?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
avalon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Preparing fish.. rinsing?

Post by avalon »

Hi!

Forgive me if I missed this elsewhere in the forum.

Before eating tuna, salmon etc. should it be well rinsed under running water? Something else? Pat it dry with a paper towel?

Very intertested if anyone can suggest.

Thanx,

Avalon
Justin

Post by Justin »

yes, i always do this, with salmon/tuna i wash the fish thoroughly under the tap and dry it with a paper towel. with mackerel, i always wipe the blood off with a paper towel. the aim is to remove any germs/bacteria that may touch the exposed flesh, also the blood and liquid from the organs is grose.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

So far I only pat the mackerel dry with a paper towel. Salmon/tuna I just cut and eat.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Hi Oscar, :wink:
Which kinds of mackarel do you get in Amsterdam? i.e Spanish Mackarel?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Errrr, I have no idea :) Tastes great though :)
avalon

Mackerel

Post by avalon »

Hi Oscar,

Do you get a whole Mackerel? I've never bought a whole fish. I've recently been eyeing mackerel in the supermarket. I have to learn more about picking out fresh fish.

Luckily, tomorrow I'm having sashimi in a restaurant, but really want to start preparing fish at home.

Avalon
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The fishstore where I get my fish brings fresh fish from the harbor every day. A fresh mackerel I have to order one day in advance. It's a whole fish, but I let them fillet it for me, so I get two halves.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

huntress wrote:
Which kinds of mackarel do you get in Amsterdam? i.e Spanish Mackarel?
That's generally Atlantic mackerel.
In my experience, they taste exceptionally well particularly in October and November, but I dont know why.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I just bought a whole mackarel and had to empty it myself. It was kind of slaughterhouse, with blood and all. :twisted:

Needless to say, it was fairly traumatic, and at one point, I wanted to gather the whole thing into a frying pan and cook it. Now, I did gather a few pieces worth of sashimi from the fish (I had to throw the rest away - head, intestines, etc), and I'm sitting in front of the computer thinking about smoked mackarel sushis - so yummy!

:cry:
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

why did you have to throw them away? couldn't you have cooked them or frozen them and then given them to somebody? if not a human, an animal?

fish heads are extremely nutritious. the other organs are good too.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It must be quite a job to do yourself...I'm glad my fish guy takes care of that! With his experience it's done in seconds.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Sorry Cairidh,

I really wanted to cook the mackarel, but I would of course end up eating it myself, which come to think of it, is maybe not that evil on the munch food scale.

The thing that I don't understand about this diet is that, if I don't have acne problems, how much munch food can I allow myself?

Only, I've made a promise to myself to be on this diet for 30 days, and it would be bad omen to break it in less than 10 days. I wouldn't have any respect for myself. After 30 days, I think I'll start being a lot more flexible about it.

Again, Cairidh, I had the same thoughts as you, and I love fish heads and organs (I think we have to eat them cooked, right?).

With this traumatic experience, I think that I'll buy them in fillet next time, or just eat salmon, which seems to be much safer and appetitizing.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Incidentally, it was a very small mackarel, and it was the first time that I participated in slaughtering a fish. Hell I didn't even know that the blood would be red! Why do we call them cold-blooded?

I tried to pursuade my husband to cook the head, but of course, I'm the one that usually eats his fish heads, so he was not at all motivated. And I have no animals... :cry:
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hey Chin CHin! I admire your courage to undertake a whole fish!
Did you like the taste?

I buy makerel at the market and choose it according to how clear it's eyes look. Then I ask the guy to fillet it. At home I rinse it and then skin it and cut the middle part of each side out (where there are still bones). It's true you end up throwing away what seems like a lot of fish, but what you're left with is so good! I choose a fish that weights about 300g (cost 0,90 euros) before cleaning etc...I guess I end up with about 200g and eat it over two days.

I might add here that makerel in Japanese restaurants (outside japan) is always marinated in rice vinegar and salt and is hence not really raw or 100% wai. I now much prefer the fresh kind. Marinated is too salty now.
:D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

On a munchfood scale cooked mackerel would not be too good, because of the cooked protein. :(