Preparing fish.. rinsing?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Chin-Chin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Chin-Chin »

It's my adventurous side getting the better of me.

The flesh tastes really good, but has less taste than I thought. I've always enjoyed fried mackarel, and in Japanese restaurants, I actually enjoyed the smoked ones with sesame seeds on them, so definitely very cooked.

I noticed that everything is much cheaper at the market and the turnover is much bigger. I'm going to shop at the market from now on for fruits and eggs. The eggs supposed come from free-ranging chicken, do you think they are OK? They only costed 1 euro for half a dozen, which is half the price of Bio Canal.

I also question if mackarel is really cheaper than salmon if you substract the discarded parts. I got this piece of salmon that was so fat, yummy!
Justin

Post by Justin »

Chin-Chin wrote:I also question if mackarel is really cheaper than salmon if you substract the discarded parts.
I also question this. Firstly they weigh it and charge me for the whole fish, then they chop off the head, then they remove all the guts. Then you get home, remove all the skin, then all the bone/s. Your paying mostly for waste. Mackerel is half the price here, but in reality its probably more expensive than salmon.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Here I pay around €3.50 for 150gr of salmon, and €3.50 for 1 mackerel. I weighed the mackerel after it was filleted, and it was 200gr in total. I nowadays eat about 100gr of fish per day, so for me mackerel is a lot cheaper than salmon. :)

If the eggs are relatively fresh, it's fine.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Mmm, Salmon is expensive at your fish store. I get it at the market, and it's about 2 euros for 150 gr. Plus it's much fresher and fattier than at my local fish store.

The eggs are real fresh too. I'm thinking of getting honey at the market as well!

How do you skin a mackerel properly?
Kookaburra

Re: Preparing fish.. rinsing?

Post by Kookaburra »

Is it necessary to rinse eggs/fish under tap water before consuming?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote:Is it necessary to rinse eggs/fish under tap water before consuming?
Eggs? No.
Fish? Yes. (you dont want the water to get mixed in with the flesh when cutting it)
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

I put my fish in the freezer for an hour after purchase (to kill surface bacteria), so I don't bother to rinse it. I think this would be an equal strategy.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmm, I never rinse my fish at all, unless it's a tad old and smells a little.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

RRM wrote:
Kookaburra wrote:Is it necessary to rinse eggs/fish under tap water before consuming?
Eggs? No.
Fish? Yes. (you dont want the water to get mixed in with the flesh when cutting it)
Wow I am shocked to learn that eggs need not be rinsed. After all they are handled by farm workers. You never know whether the farm workers washed their hands after taking a dump before handling the eggs?

As for fish, I thought that once you rinsed it, the tap water will penetrate through the flesh? And why do you need to rinse fish and not eggs? After all, they are both animal food.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote: Wow I am shocked to learn that eggs need not be rinsed. After all they are handled by farm workers.
The shell is bubbly and has tiny 'pores' on the outside,
so that its impossible to clean it properly, and you dont need to:
Just crack the shell and let the yolk slide into a cup.
Then wash your hands and then take care of the yolk.
As for fish, I thought that once you rinsed it, the tap water will penetrate through the flesh?
No, the skin is protective; the water cannot penetrate the skin.
Just wash the skin with your hands and running water.
Then wash your hands and start filleting the fish.
And why do you need to rinse fish and not eggs? After all, they are both animal food.
You dont rinse the meat / flesh / yolk liquid itself, of course...
Just the skin of the fish.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:Hmm, I never rinse my fish at all, unless it's a tad old and smells a little.
I was actually talking about a whole fish (incl. skin, head etc), not fish fillet.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I see, hehe. Even so I don't, unless I need to rinse out the entrails (from a mackerel for instance). ;)
To be clear about this, only if one's sure about the condition of their immune system.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

RRM wrote:
And why do you need to rinse fish and not eggs? After all, they are both animal food.
You dont rinse the meat / flesh / yolk liquid itself, of course...
Just the skin of the fish.
Eh I was actually talking about fillets, not the whole fish. That being said, why is it not necessary to rinse the flesh? The fishmongers might not have washed their hands after taking a dump prior to filleting the fish.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Kookaburra wrote:
RRM wrote:
Eggs? No.
Wow I am shocked to learn that eggs need not be rinsed. After all they are handled by farm workers. You never know whether the farm workers washed their hands after taking a dump before handling the eggs?
Ghehe, you worry about farm workers who might have taken a dump before handling eggs, but where do you think an egg comes from in the first place!?! I assume the sh*t that sometimes sticks to eggs when you buy them directly from a farm isn't from the farmer/handler itself :mrgreen:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

LOL!