Sardines

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Cairidh »

I live in England, fresh sardines are readily available. And I think they're cheaper than tinned, or it may just seem that way because they're the most expensive tinned fish, and the cheapest fresh fish.

In Italy salted raw sardines are a delicacy.

What's wrong with the skin?
Fairy Prince

Sardines can be dangerous

Post by Fairy Prince »

Be careful with sardines. They can contain unsafe levels of Domic Acid which, in severe cases can cause death.
Domoic Acid
Domoic acid was only recently discovered (1991) in California. Certain one-celled plants called diatoms produce domoic acid. Bivalve shellfish and some finfish filter these diatoms from the water. In most cases, domoic acid accumulates in the viscera of these animals. In razor clams, domoic acid also accumulates in the meat. Unsafe levels of domoic acid have been found in mussels, oysters, razor clams and the viscera (but not in the muscle tissue) of sardines, anchovies, crab and lobster. Many other species have yet to be investigated.

Domoic acid poisoning symptoms begin within 30 minutes to 24 hours after eating toxic seafood. In mild cases, symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, headache, dizziness and confusion. Difficulty breathing, seizures, coma and death can occur in severe cases. Survivors of severe cases have suffered permanent loss of short-term memory, a condition known as amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP).

http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/Pubs/natural.htm
Fairy Prince

Domic Acid

Post by Fairy Prince »

What does everyone think of this issue. Should we avoid eating sardines...?

I think its the safest option for now...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Sardines the safest option?
I dont think so, at all...
Fairy Prince

Sardines not safe

Post by Fairy Prince »

RRM wrote:Sardines the safest option?
I dont think so, at all...
I meant that it would be the safest option NOT to eat them. Sorry
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

:lol:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It seems the domoic acid occurs naturally? If so, then it might not be such a problem. It also says it doesn't occur in the muscle tissue of the fish.