Omega 3 eggs / too much omega 3?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Omega 3 eggs / too much omega 3?

Post by Cairidh »

I just wondered what sort of eggs do you eat? Organic, standard, or omega 3 enriched?

I always eat organic standard eggs, but I'm not sure which would be better - organic standard or omega 3 enriched. For example Columbus eggs, contain an Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio of 1:1. With standard eggs, it's something like 13:1......but organic eggs contain more vitamins etc and less toxins, and the hens are better treated.

The ideal would be organic omega 3 eggs but I can't find any!!!!!
nick

Post by nick »

I see those kind too. I'm quit sure that Wai says that it isn't of any concern, you'll still get all the omega-3 in your normal organic eggs.

I've noticed how crappy non-organic eggs are and they're harder to take down.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I eat organic too. I'm not too concerned about getting enough omega-3, since I eat eggs and fish every day.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Same here, Oscar. Although, I don't eat fish every day (only ever few days)... but I similarly have no worries about getting enough Omega-3.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

I bought some Columbus eggs and they're ok but not as nice as the organic eggs I usually buy. The yolks are a lot smaller. But apparantly 3 eggs contains 2.1g Omega 3 so I'm going to stick with them.
xtheman

omega-3 egg yolks?

Post by xtheman »

so recently i found an article talking about the importance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids here and i was wondering if we needed to pay more attention to the recommended 3:1 (omega-6:omega-3) ratio? and if so, would omega-3 enriched eggs be a good alternative?
the reason i ask is because my ratio is a little off something like 11:2 with fish and 11:1 without when i input it into the nutrient calculator. and if it matters i have five tbs a day of oo and 2 egg yolks (even with the fish).
thanks! :)

xtheman
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Maybe you can find your answer in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1260

Omega-3 enriched eggs shouldn't be necessary, methinks.
xtheman

Post by xtheman »

thank you very much, most helpful. :B

xtheman
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

From another thread
bbdave wrote:So recently I've been eating up to 10 egg yolks per day, and 100g of salmon every 3 days or so. The eggs I get are organic and have omega-3 (300mg per egg). So that means I consume 3000+mg of omega-3 every day. Would this throw off my omega oils balance?
Iris

Post by Iris »

Cairidh wrote:I bought some Columbus eggs and they're ok but not as nice as the organic eggs I usually buy.
In which way? Only because they are smaller, or do you mean taste wise?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

bbdave wrote:So recently I've been eating up to 10 egg yolks per day, and 100g of salmon every 3 days or so. The eggs I get are organic and have omega-3 (300mg per egg).
So that means I consume 3000+mg of omega-3 every day. Would this throw off my omega oils balance?
The balance between the various omega 3 fats remains good, as they are good for both salmon and egg yolks.
So, now its just about omega 3 versus total fat.

Naturally, egg yolks (per 100 gram) contain about
32,000 mg fat in total,
of which 460 mg is omega 3. (220 mg LNA, 60 mg DPA, 180 mg DHA)
This is 1.4% of total fat.

The contents of salmon (per 100 gram) vary greatly, as their total fat.
But naturally, its about
6,000 to 14,000 mg fat in total
of which 2,000 to 4,000 is omega 3.
This is 18 to 33% (farmed salmon included)

On average, you daily consume 33 grams of salmon + 166 grams of egg yolk.
So, thats about 55100 to 57700 mg total fat,
of which 1424 to 2084 is omega 3.
So thus far, omega 3 versus total fat is about 2.6 to 3.6%, which is perfect.
And im guessing you consume some other fats as well (avocado, OO?)
So, you dont need to worry about too much omega 3 at all...
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I was told by my doctor that your body can convert omega 3 into 6 and 9, so that it's basically impossible to have too much omega 3.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I was told by my doctor that your body can convert omega 3 into 6 and 9
No, thats not possible.
Both the omega-3 ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) and the omega-6 LA (linoleic acid) are essential nutrients; the body cannot convert one into the other.
Thats is why they are called essential fatty acids (EFAs).
If the body could convert ALA into LA, LA would not be an essential fatty acid.
The reason why omega-3s and omega-6s are competitive, is because they share the same enzymes required for further conversions.
The body can, for example, convert the omega-6 LA (18 carbon) into a "longer chain" omega-6 fatty acid: arachidonic acid (20 carbon).
The body can also convert some of the "short chain" (18 carbon) omega-3 ALA (3 double bonds) into "long chain" (20 and 22 carbon)
omega-3 fatty acids (like EPA and DHA, with 5 and 6 double bonds).
It does so by adding carbon atoms to the chain, and by creating additional double bonds, which it can only do so due to the presence of fatty acid-specific enzymes.
As the availability of those enzymes is limited (and individually different), the conversion of ALA into EPA and DHA is limited too (roughly 5%).

Eventually, all fatty acids (including omega-3s and omega-6s) are eliminated / used for energy through beta-oxidation
(the sequential removal of 2-carbon units by oxidation at the β-carbon position of the fatty acyl-CoA molecule).
Thus the long carbon chains get increasingly shorter.
As there is no need to convert omega-3 into omega-6, we dont have the enzymes available to eliminate the double bonds first.
Mr. PC wrote:it's basically impossible to have too much omega 3.
Not really; everything in the body is about balance.
In 2000 the FDA issued a warning that excessive intakes (dietary + more than 2 grams from supplements) of EPA and DHA may result in
hemorrhagic stroke and reduced glycemic control among diabetics.

What is important is the omega 3 ratio.
DPA (22:5) is an intermediary between EPA and DHA, and DPA limits DHA synthesis, and vice versa. Both DPA and DHA are essential in neural (re)generation.
Though women are relatively good in converting ALA, men have often shown to lack this capacity.
So, i believe that its important to balance the omega 3 fats by consuming them from natural sources (fish, eggs, meat).

http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-omega3.html
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

What's the fat ratio in 6:3 format of conventional farmed eggs?
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Do I even need to worry about this? Information is conflicting and seems to suggest that omega-6 competes with omega-3 for absorption. If I'm only
eating non-organic eggs (6-10/day) as a source of omega-3 (I know fruit contains traces) will I get sufficient amounts of it, and how do I calculate my needs?